Amazon Announces Three New Ultra-cheap Kindles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyree

Distinguished
I got a question. Does the kindle comes with dictionary function? like if I don't know the meaning of the word, I can select it and it brings me to the dictionary?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]I got a question. Does the kindle comes with dictionary function? like if I don't know the meaning of the word, I can select it and it brings me to the dictionary?[/citation]
Can you get a dictionary at the Kindle store, it's a book after all?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Can you get a dictionary at the Kindle store, it's a book after all?[/citation]
Scratch that, just found this:-
http://answers.oreilly.com/topic/1896-how-to-use-the-kindles-dictionary/

aevm

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
The $79 version does have ads.

There's also a $110 Kindle 4 without ads or keyboard or 3G. It offers 1.25 GB of room for books and 15 hours of battery life (with wireless off).

The old Kindle 3 (renamed Kindle Keyboard, $139), offers 3.25 GB and 30 hours. I'm buying the Kindle 3 myself.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
All things seemingly being equal with the Non-Ad versions, I'll stick with my Nook Touch. I like the rounded edges look and feel of the Nook based on first impressions.

But apart from that, I really don't see a difference. I prefer to support my local Barnes and Noble by buying gift cards and loading them on my Nook account. I still like walking through a physical book store to browse for new books... and then downloading them on my Nook =)

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Does it HAVE to have a home button? Really? Like the Nook Touch? Like the iPad/iPhone/iPod touch?

Seriously, companies? Yes, YOU Amazon. Yes, YOU Barnes & Nobles. Did any of you do your marketing research and find that consumers actually WANT a home button? Why not just one button, for turning the device on and off? Everything else could be done via gestures or on-screen back buttons, swiping the clock bar, etc.

I think it's a significant improvement over those fugly keyboard versions, but still. Down vote this if you can't bear the thought of not having many many MANY buttons on a device and you don't want a one-piece e-Ink tablet that's completely air tight and waterproof!

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
They now have even cheaper kindles, that's nice, I almost want to buy one, but the one I want, the one with the larger screen, has continued to stay at a crazy high price of $397, it costs more than their new LCD tablet! The thing costs more than a damn Ipad for goodness sakes. When are they going to reduce their DX model?

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]klavis[/nom]They now have even cheaper kindles, that's nice, I almost want to buy one, but the one I want, the one with the larger screen, has continued to stay at a crazy high price of $397, it costs more than their new LCD tablet! The thing costs more than a damn Ipad for goodness sakes. When are they going to reduce their DX model?[/citation]
me too, want the kindle dx with the nice 10 inch eink screen, but at $400 I wont even consider it.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Sony T1 anyone? (149$) Wifi, touch, same screen. Sony build quality. Android.
Screen gestures and "multitouch" (actually tracks only 2 fingers).
No 3G, no ads.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Scratch that, just found this:-http://answers.oreilly.com/topic/1896-how-to-use-the-kindles-dictionary/[/citation]

I'm not saying your info is bad, I just can't trust anything with the name O'Reilly attached to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.