Discussion amazon echo 2nd gen vs google home

bob13bob

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
i've had the echo 2nd gen for awhile, and just got a google home to try.

within 5 min i decided to send google home back. The sound quality if a lot inferior to echo 2nd gen. I didnt' bother to learn the system because of the big difference. google home really needs and update.

I’m an audiophile and i’ll get it to Sound quality below. You may not understand all, but anyone who listens to them side by side can immediately tell the quality difference even if they don’t understand why.

The echo has much much better clarity in the highs and vocal range. google home might have a more even neutral balance signature, but high’s are very muddy. Also the echo gets quite a bit louder. The google home has 2” drivers, that all. The echo 2nd gen has a 2.5” driver and .8” tweeter. That tweeter makes all the difference. The google home makes the music sound like a low quality compression.

codyteddy

Prominent
Aug 12, 2018
I have not had the opportunity to compare the two side by side, and I am not sure if I would be able to detect the difference in sound quality right away unless somebody pointed it out to me, but I find that the general consensus is that Amazon devices are better in this regard than its competition from Google. Clearer audio quality and higher bass output is often reported, and even the Dot (the 3rd generation) edges out the Mini (source). Honestly for me it's too bad since many of our devices run with Android so I am more familiar with the environment. Looks like Amazon is cheaper as well.

Jun 18, 2019
I personally like Google home. Really, It's much easier to talk. More skills than Echo, Big content like YouTube and many more.
Predictably, Echo can beat Google in the area of Shopping related queries through Amazon :O
Google Home is powerful with Google. The rest stuck at understand our basic conversations. So why Echo ?

i've had the echo 2nd gen for awhile, and just got a google home to try.

within 5 min i decided to send google home back. The sound quality if a lot inferior to echo 2nd gen. I didnt' bother to learn the system because of the big difference. google home really needs and update.

I’m an audiophile and i’ll get it to Sound quality below. You may not understand all, but anyone who listens to them side by side can immediately tell the quality difference even if they don’t understand why.

The echo has much much better clarity in the highs and vocal range. google home might have a more even neutral balance signature, but high’s are very muddy. Also the echo gets quite a bit louder. The google home has 2” drivers, that all. The echo 2nd gen has a 2.5” driver and .8” tweeter. That tweeter makes all the difference. The google home makes the music sound like a low quality compression.

Audio quality should be a secondary feature for those devices, I use an echo dot and paired it with a good bluetooth speaker (well relatively for the size and function LOL, it's a UE mega boom which is pretty good for a portable that I can bring around the house), you can also get a number of smart speakers like from Sonos for good audio quality without a second device. Anyone that is looking for good audio from either echo or google home should look into pairing them with good speakers. My next tech purchase will probably be a dot for the bedroom along with a nice pair of powered speakers to connect it to and to my bedroom TV. Hoping the wife does not read this ..... :)

TRENDING THREADS