Amazon Echo Input Hands-On Review: Making Your Home Stereo Smart

Jan 5, 2019
I don't understand what the echo input does that an echo dot doesn't already do at a lower price and with a built in speaker.

Jan 17, 2019
Two things, an RCA input? really, not a con, considering the size of the device, it would be twice the height to hold the RCA plugs, nothing that an adapter can't fix. Optical audio Outputs, well I doubt anyone is going to notice the sound quality of a online streaming audio service.

Now for the other people don't see the purpose of this device....
For those of you who have a real stereo system, one which has stereo or surround sound system, this is the perfect way to listen to online radio, podcasts, and for those who want music throughout your home.
Listening to your favorite radio station on iHeart, Simple Radio skill, SiriusXM, and other services and even better if you have multiple devices. it's great if you entertain.
It's cheaper to buy one Echo Input then to buy two Echo devices with a speaker, all of the other devices require to use two of them if you want true stereo sound.
Most of the cheaper Bluetooth speakers are mono, and even if you use a good Bluetooth speaker that is stereo, the separation between the left and right will be greatly reduced.
Using two of the same Echo devices will give you true stereo sound, while using Bluetooth speakers.
So if you want true stereo sound, then either hook a Echo Input to your stereo or surround sound system, or a good pair of computer speakers. or buy a pair of Echo Inputs for true stereo sound to a pair of Bluetooth speakers, like DOSS Soundbox XLs, normally these speakers can't be stereo paired via Bluetooth, however with the Alexa app, it should be able to do this. 64 watts of power never sounded so good, who need a over priced sub-woofer from amazon.

Jan 5, 2019
@garysgadgets1, thanks for your response. Am I understanding your point correctly that you are saying the Echo Input outputs a stereo signal, while the Echo Dot outputs in mono? From the Amazon website, they claim:

"Echo Dot is a hands-free, voice-controlled device with a small built-in speaker—it can also connect to your speakers or headphones over Bluetooth or through a 3.5 mm audio cable to deliver stereo sound to the speakers you choose."

"Echo Dot can also directly connect to speakers using a 3.5 mm stereo cable, Bluetooth, or Wi-Fi for compatible wireless speakers to add voice control to your home stereo system in the living room or den."

"Built-in speaker for voice feedback when not connected to external speakers. 3.5 mm stereo audio output for use with external speakers (audio cable not included)."

If that is the case, I still do not see what he Input accomplishes over the Dot besides a smaller form factor. Either that, or Amazon's information--or my understanding of the subject-- is flawed. Please elaborate and let us know what you think.

Thanks,
-Nick

Jan 17, 2019
Echo Dot, will output in stereo if you Bluetooth to a Stereo Bluetooth speaker or line out to a receiver, just like the Echo Input, but only the Echo Dot cost more, however if your using the built in speaker of the Echo Dot, then you'll be listening to your music is mono. The only way to listen to your music in stereo with the built in speakers of he Dot is to get a pair of Echo Dots.

My friend just got his Echo Input last night, and it was able to make phone calls, and drop in, but the website has not updated that feature.
The advantages are, lower power consumption, lower cost, better sound if you have a good stereo speakers, smaller size makes it easier to travel with, Expand your Echo network by adding several Echo Dots to speakers throughout your home and business on the cheap, especially now that it is on sale for $20, you can't beat it. I'm ordering two of them, so I can pair Two Soundbox XLs together.
Your not gaining anything new with the Input over the Dot, but the savings adding Alexa functions to a speaker system that doesn't have it.

Jan 29, 2019
Anyone seeing this thing?
After several years, Amazon now sells again Chromecast video, and Google is discontinuing Chromecast audio. Maybe this is an agreement so that Amazon has doors open for its echo input?

May 25, 2019
One sticky point about the Echo that I misunderstood is that my speaker doesn't become the Echo input device because the microphones are on the Input. I had hoped to use this on a couple of outdoor speakers & keep the Input indoors under cover. With the Input, I'm able to get music, but I can't talk to Alexa without going inside where the Input is. How do I get a waterproof Alexa?