Solved! Amazon Fire TV Stick - Can I REMOVE Prime Content?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2019
I chose the Fire TV Stick over Chromecast because it has a remote. I know you can add remotes to other devices, but they are not guaranteed to work. I needed something simple so my kids could use it.

We only subscribe to Netflix. My kids know how to click on the Netflix logo on the Fire TV home screen to get to it. The issue I have is that before my kids click on that logo, other apps and recommendations are displayed. Some of them are not appropriate for kids.

Example:
- thumbnail for 'The Boys' with skeletons and laser eyes
-right now there is a thumbnail with a man kneeling and a gun to his head
-other gun images
-people making out
-If you've read this far, I know this could turn into a discussion on what is appropriate or not...

I know the answer to this is probably 'NO', but is there a way to hide or change this homepage to remove certain content? Obviously they are not going to let me uninstall Prime Video.

I'm not sure if it's allowed on this forum, but can I jailbreak and change the skin? Ideally I get a screen that is just Netflix focused.

Thanks

Solution
The link above is good but I don't think will help since the parental controls don't seem to affect the home screen. Amazon Freetime would help but isn't supported by the stick.

I think that a Roku, which has a remote with a Netflix button, may have been a better choice. You can even set the default app it boots to so you don't even have to see the home screen.
The link above is good but I don't think will help since the parental controls don't seem to affect the home screen. Amazon Freetime would help but isn't supported by the stick.

I think that a Roku, which has a remote with a Netflix button, may have been a better choice. You can even set the default app it boots to so you don't even have to see the home screen.

Reactions: pkcable
Solution
Nov 4, 2019
Thanks. I had played with parental controls when I first had Prime and Netflix. Unfortunately it just adds a little lock icon on the thumbnail of a guy with a gun to his head. I will try it again.

Very disappointed with Prime. You can set the parental controls, but the kids can still SEE all the thumbnails! The 'control' just prevents playback. There is no "Who's Watching" page (that i could find) like Netflix - though it seems so obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.