Amazon Founder Wishes to Open Retail Stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

fudoka711

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Of course Apple stores generate the most retail sales per square foot in the USA...selling gobs of small devices priced around $99-850 in a small store will surely get you that title.

As for Amazon, I have no clue how they could bring something new/different/radical/unique to the brick & mortar business model, but I would be interested to see what they come up with, if anything at all.

On second thought, maybe something having to do with same-day shipping? I know they use lockers in staples and are building new warehouses. Maybe they could, at some point, offer consumers yet another way to pick up their stuff. But what do I know xD.

aevm

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
Right now, Amazon's only competition in my city (in Canada) is Chapters. Chapters' only advantage is the ability to buy something online (at chapters.ca) and return it to a brick-and-mortar Chapters store if it's defect. A physical Amazon store would take care of this. Just one in each city, downtown, small, and it doesn't even have to have anything on the shelves :)

They could sell Kindles in the physical stores. Canadian residents have to order those from the USA and pay for shipping and customs fees, and wait a week or two for delivery, and be at home in the middle of a work day to make UPS happy. It would be quite convenient to be able to buy the Kindle locally.

They could also use physical stores for pick-up orders. Since UPS is such a pain, I'd like to be able to place an order online and pick it up at a physical store when it's ready. Future Shop or Best Buy already do this in my city, and it's very convenient.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Brick and mortar stores fail left and right because of the online competition and now an online store wants to get into this failing business model?
Seriously, stick to what works !

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
...offering a limited, select range in-store, but offer the full range for delivery (at no extra cost for the 'foot travelers'?)

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Brick and mortar stores fail left and right because of the online competition and now an online store wants to get into this failing business model?Seriously, stick to what works ![/citation]

People still go the 'brick and mortar' stores to look at the products. This is why they need to open stores, they are destroying their competition. But it is their competition that helps them with sales.

What they need is sales people who don't give a shyt about their commission but more about the the customer getting exactly what they want. Sales people are too pushy with the more expensive stuff and don't listen to the customers. JB-Hifi in NZ has knowledgeable that know the products in their department quite well and actually help you. Hopefully other companies will follow suit,

obsama1

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Amazon is amazing. A physical store would be great. But, what would they carry, other than their Kindle line? A B&M store can't possibly have the selection and variety of Amazon.com.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
[citation][nom]diycrazy[/nom]lets hope they learn how to pay taxes[/citation]

They're not the ones that are suppose to be paying the taxes. YOU ARE!

Look up the law before making a comment that you put less than zero thought into.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Zak Islam just had to throw in the Apple bit... He must feel better now.

Next article to read about how Apple has inspired Quilted Northern because they perfected Sh*t

G

That means you will have to pay sales tax if you have an Amazon store in your state :0

G

deftonian...

amazon has managed to evade taxes here in the uk along with many other leeching us companies like ebay & starbucks.

get YOUR facts straight before you make a fool of yourself again.

Status
Not open for further replies.