Amazon Gaming Controller Leaked for New Set-Top Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Really, "dizzying array" of buttons? It has on its face exactly one more button than an Xbox controller, and three simple media buttons where the Xbox headphone jack is. The only significant deviation from an Xbox controller show here is that it's not completely rounded. A little hyperbolic on the rhetoric, don't you think?

Marshall Honorof

Editor
Herald
Aug 1, 2013
@DRosencraft - Not necessarily. It's one thing to ask hardcore gamers to adapt to four more buttons on a controller, but if the device is a set-top box first and a gaming machine second, 21 buttons is an awful lot. Casual gamers and young children have been reared on mobile games, which generally use touchscreens instead of buttons. I personally think you'd have a rough time convincing a set-top box's target audience that a controller that's more complicated than a PS4/Xbone's is a good investment, but I guess we'll see.

genrldisaray

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
@DRosencraft - Not necessarily. It's one thing to ask hardcore gamers to adapt to four more buttons on a controller, but if the device is a set-top box first and a gaming machine second, 21 buttons is an awful lot. Casual gamers and young children have been reared on mobile games, which generally use touchscreens instead of buttons. I personally think you'd have a rough time convincing a set-top box's target audience that a controller that's more complicated than a PS4/Xbone's is a good investment, but I guess we'll see.
You say "adapt to 4 more buttons" like they're not clearly labeled. A controller could have 100 buttons and not be confusing if it's obvious to even a casual user what they do. What would be more confusing to that type of person would be having fewer buttons than regularly used commands, so they would have to remember what combinations of buttons do what. I do agree that the thing could use some ergonomic tweaking though.

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Its almost completely like an xbox control. There is nothing wrong with it, in fact the multimedia buttons look helpful. I don't understand how you could think its worse than an Xbox control.

allan_hm

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Actually it was the Brazilian agency ANATEL that leaked the picture of the Amazon controller.http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/tec/2014/03/1425907-site-da-anatel-mostra-fotos-de-controle-de-videogame-da-amazon.shtml

Algernon Ex

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
a keyboard has a lot more "buttons" yet PC gamers have no problem with it. As long as the buttons are used for different purposes (e.g., some for gaming and others for viewing and controlling videos), there is no problem with this controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.