Amazon Germany Reveals Galaxy S3 Specs in Product Listing

Status
Not open for further replies.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
an 8-megapixel lens
*cough* lenses don't have pixels. *cough*

I think its unlikely that those are speculative specs. Why would they put numbers out of their arse?

If 4.7" display and a 12MP camera are the real specs, then this seems to me like yet another case of "bigger numbers is always better"-marketing.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Sounds nice, but I have my SII, and I can't justify paying off-contract price for a phone. I'll wait around for the next one, by then my contract will be up.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Not to mention my phone is less than 6 months old and in perfect working order. I understand that these phones just keep getting more and more powerful with each passing week, but that doesn't mean we need to make smartphones disposable!

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]*cough* lenses don't have pixels. *cough*I think its unlikely that those are speculative specs. Why would they put numbers out of their arse?If 4.7" display and a 12MP camera are the real specs, then this seems to me like yet another case of "bigger numbers is always better"-marketing.[/citation]

Yeah... Lenses don't have the MP and a camera with high MP counts, but a crap lens will still have crap pictures regardless of how high it's MP count is. I'm willing to give Samsung the benefit of the doubt and say that it's an 8MP camera and that this 12MP crap is wrong. Even if it had a lens that could make good use of 12MP, what's the point? 8MP is already quadruple 1080p's MP count, so unless someone wants to use these phones to replace professional cameras, I don't see a reason to go beyond 8MP at this time.

Remember folks, a 3GHz i5 will beat a 4GHz Bulldozer in anything that uses four or fewer threads (basically almost every program that the average computer users and even enthusiasts and power users utilize right now and for a while). GHz is useless without IPC (among others, but that get's the point across well enough) and MP is useless without a good enough lens.

chronicbint

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
*Android phone designer think tank*

Designer 1: What shall we do with the new phone then?
Designer 2: Make it bigger?
Designer 1: Like a boss.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Yeah... Lenses don't have the MP and a camera with high MP counts, but a crap lens will still have crap pictures regardless of how high it's MP count is. I'm willing to give Samsung the benefit of the doubt and say that it's an 8MP camera and that this 12MP crap is wrong. Even if it had a lens that could make good use of 12MP, what's the point? 8MP is already quadruple 1080p's MP count, so unless someone wants to use these phones to replace professional cameras, I don't see a reason to go beyond 8MP at this time.Remember folks, a 3GHz i5 will beat a 4GHz Bulldozer in anything that uses four or fewer threads (basically almost every program that the average computer users and even enthusiasts and power users utilize right now and for a while). GHz is useless without IPC (among others, but that get's the point across well enough) and MP is useless without a good enough lens.[/citation]

Why thumb him down when his logic is perfectly sound.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I now have the Galaxy Tab 7.0 and realize that all this smartphone/tablet crap is... boring. That's right, boring.

More powerful GPU/CPU? Handheld games are still crap and will stay this way. Better resolution? Right, as if I can notice anyhow. More storage space? Cool story bro, 16GB plus a microSD slot is way more than enough. Better camera? Still not gonna use my phone for taking serious pictures. New Android/iOS/whatever? Great, still boring.

And the price? Yeah, I realize that it's an unlocked phone and that's what it costs, but... $875? Seriously? I'm SO glad I never ended up buying SGS2 or Note, they're SO not worth the price... only now do I realize that.

Sorry, Samsung, you're still awesome, but I can't be excited anymore. That goes for all tablets and smarphones, btw... maybe with a little exception for Transformer because I'm a stubborn Asus fanboy and I like the Prime HD (good price, too) and its dock.

[citation][nom]chronicbint[/nom]*Android phone designer think tank*Designer 1: What shall we do with the new phone then?Designer 2: Make it bigger?Designer 1: Like a boss.[/citation]

LOL, I normally don't approve of dissing Android phones, but this is too true!

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Not a big enough upgrade to switch from my Galaxy S2, but it's going in the right direction. If the screen specs and built in 32gb option is to be believed, it'll definitely take down a notch or two the smugness of my Apple friends. That's always good.

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
[citation][nom]chronicbint[/nom]*Android phone designer think tank*Designer 1: What shall we do with the new phone then?Designer 2: Make it bigger?Designer 1: Like a boss.[/citation]

Isn't that what Apple are rumored to be doing with the new Iphone?

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
To get 32 gig of storage in the Samsung Galaxy S2 all I have to do is flip the back cover open and put a micro sd card in my phone's sd slot, something impossible in one of those iPhone coffins. So cant imagine anyone, unless their are stupid, doing a dance over 32 gig of internal storage. The smugness of iZombies over their little iJails comes from hubris fueled by ignorance and false advertisement.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]I now have the Galaxy Tab 7.0 and realize that all this smartphone/tablet crap is... boring. That's right, boring. More powerful GPU/CPU? Handheld games are still crap and will stay this way. Better resolution? Right, as if I can notice anyhow. More storage space? Cool story bro, 16GB plus a microSD slot is way more than enough. Better camera? Still not gonna use my phone for taking serious pictures. New Android/iOS/whatever? Great, still boring. And the price? Yeah, I realize that it's an unlocked phone and that's what it costs, but... $875? Seriously? I'm SO glad I never ended up buying SGS2 or Note, they're SO not worth the price... only now do I realize that.Sorry, Samsung, you're still awesome, but I can't be excited anymore. That goes for all tablets and smarphones, btw... maybe with a little exception for Transformer because I'm a stubborn Asus fanboy and I like the Prime HD (good price, too) and its dock.LOL, I normally don't approve of dissing Android phones, but this is too true![/citation]

You definitely have a point, but I kinda disagree. The games aren't the only reason for a more powerful CPU, but the better GPU is obviously for that and yes, most of the mobile games don't use the full performance that they have available. However, if the full performance is never there, then games will probably never be made to utilize it. If we get the hardware before the games, then the games that can use it properly will come sooner or later.

A lot of people can notice the better resolution (for example, I can see a huge difference between 720p and 1080p on my TVs and monitors). Resolution isn't everything with a screen and if other things such as colors and contrast aren't also improved, the resolution improvement won't always change a whole lot of the visual experience, but it's still an improvement.

Going beyond 16GB is necessary for a lot of people. If I want to copy some of my movies over to my tablet or smart phone and watch them while I'm on a train or in a similar situation, then 16GB is not enough. If I have a lot of pictures or home made movies on my tablet or smart phone, then 16GB is not enough. If I have a lot of games or other programs, then 16GB is not enough. Do you see a trend here? There are a lot of ways to go way over 16GB and a lot of people can do it and would do it if they had the option to do so. I know that I could use way over 16GB and would do so if I had the money for a phone with such capacity (or a Micro-SD card). For example, I would then use my phone to replace most of my Flash drives and that would definitely be more convenient.

As for the Android's liking to increase in size in order for their manufacturers to say that they are better, yes, that is a recurring theme. However, larger screens are better for movies/TV/games, so to a point, it does make sense. Of course, with some of the phones nearing or already past the 5" mark, enough is enough.

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
I hope they realize that 4.7" is too much! 4" is just fine for cellphones! All we need is more pixels... maybe 1080p for a 4" screen is ok! See? Not even 4K!! ... get to work ppl! =)

selloutjoe

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
more pixels permit better zooming on the phone, which improves basic editing and cropping for all those facebook,emails.etc.. postings..... ;-) assuming a good lens for a mobile unit. More pixels also means more data bandwidth for all those carriers to bill for when you unload. :-(

selloutjoe

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
more pixels permit better zooming on the phone, which improves basic editing and cropping for all those facebook,emails.etc.. postings..... ;-) assuming a good lens for a mobile unit. More pixels also means more data bandwidth for all those carriers to bill for when you unload. :-(

selloutjoe

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009

selloutjoe

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009

selloutjoe

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.