Amazon Has the Samsung Galaxy S III for Pre-order at $800

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bender3000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
$800 for an Android phone?! Next thing you know there will be lines of people camping outside a Verizon store days before it's released. ;-)

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
That is way too expensive in my eyes. Should not have been higher than mid 600s. Oh well, in couple of months it will be less. Hopefully the US-carrier bound (ugh) will be a tad better in exterior design.

sirius100

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Since it's mentioned nowhere in the article (intentionally, no doubt) the listing actually comes from several Merchants.. meaning, it's not sold by Amazon directly, it's from a bunch of 3rd parties who are no doubt preordering the GS3 in Europe then importing it to the US, hence the absurd price tag.

You'd have to be a crazy fanboy to buy it at that price... but then again, if people still buy the iPhone 4S for 650$...

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I'm sure with a 2 year agreement the price will be affordable. I have no reason to buy a factory unlocked phone. I have a cheap unlocked GSM phone for traveling and use my main phone on WiFi. Viber works great, so does skype. You think all of these iPhone users paid the unlocked price of $700? Most of them signed 2 year agreements and paid the $99-200 based on their model.

flybri

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
[citation][nom]sirius100[/nom]Since it's mentioned nowhere in the article (intentionally, no doubt) the listing actually comes from several Merchants.. meaning, it's not sold by Amazon directly, it's from a bunch of 3rd parties who are no doubt preordering the GS3 in Europe then importing it to the US, hence the absurd price tag.You'd have to be a crazy fanboy to buy it at that price... but then again, if people still buy the iPhone 4S for 650$...[/citation]

Exactly -- the high price is due to the fact that the merchants are importing the phone. Some people may seem to forget that the unlocked imported GSM Galaxy Nexus was around the same price too when it was released. Give it a few months, and it'll drop a few hundred dollars...

Status
Not open for further replies.