Amazon Introduces AutoRip, Allows Free Downloads of MP3s from Previously Purchas

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

One problem that I see is if you purchase a CD for someone else, you will get the MP3s for free. You could also end up with a bunch of songs that you don't even like.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]whataboutgifts[/nom]One problem that I see is if you purchase a CD for someone else, you will get the MP3s for free. You could also end up with a bunch of songs that you don't even like.[/citation]

oh well, a minor flaw in the system.

blackjackcf

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
[citation][nom]whataboutgifts[/nom]One problem that I see is if you purchase a CD for someone else, you will get the MP3s for free. You could also end up with a bunch of songs that you don't even like.[/citation]

That's fair. Hey, free songs (sorta...), right? Glass half full, half empty...

- Catherine Cai

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
What? Free for 250 songs and $25/year for the size of my own library? No thanks. Google Music allots for 20,000 songs, and it's free on my DROID RAZR MAXX. I'll stick w/ that. Thanks.

blackjackcf

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]What? Free for 250 songs and $25/year for the size of my own library? No thanks. Google Music allots for 20,000 songs, and it's free on my DROID RAZR MAXX. I'll stick w/ that. Thanks.[/citation]

Apparently, the 250 songs don't include the AutoRipped ones...

- Catherine Cai

G

So, is buying a CD this way cheaper than buying the MP3-only digital album? Because it's basically the same, except that I'd also have to accept delivery of a physical CD that I no longer have any use for at all, which will just sit around taking up space and collecting dust somewhere. These days the physical CD is a liability you'd have to pay me to take, not a bonus. I haven't loaded a real CD into anything in years.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
@WhoNeedsIt:
Physical CDs are usually slightly more expensive than buying the entire album on MP3s. You should expect to pay around $12 on average for a CD vs $10 for the downloadable MP3 version. However, you do get lossless audio, a backup CD and a booklet. The last bit is very important to fans since it can be brought to a concert to be autographed - try that with your MP3 player...

BTW, when I buy CDs on Amazon I may go to third parties for better prices - sometimes it's cheaper than $10 even with the mandatory shipping. I wonder if third-party purchases on amazon.com would be covered under this AutoRip service...

pliskin1

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]agnickolov[/nom]@WhoNeedsIt:physical CDs are usually slightly more expensive than buying the entire album on MP3s. You should expect to pay around $12 on average for a CD vs $10 for the downloadable MP3 version. However, you do get lossless audio, a backup CD and a booklet. The last bit is very important to fans since it can be brought to a concert to be autographed - try that with your MP3 player...BTW, when I buy CDs on Amazon I may go to third parties for better prices - sometimes it's cheaper than $10 even with the mandatory shipping. I wonder if third-party purchases on amazon.com would be covered under this AutoRip service...[/citation]
I looked at my order history, and none of my third party purchases got the autorip, even though it's available for that given album.

Status
Not open for further replies.