Amazon Introduces AutoRip, Allows Free Downloads of MP3s from Previously Purchas

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

One problem that I see is if you purchase a CD for someone else, you will get the MP3s for free. You could also end up with a bunch of songs that you don't even like.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]whataboutgifts[/nom]One problem that I see is if you purchase a CD for someone else, you will get the MP3s for free. You could also end up with a bunch of songs that you don't even like.[/citation]

oh well, a minor flaw in the system.

blackjackcf

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
[citation][nom]whataboutgifts[/nom]One problem that I see is if you purchase a CD for someone else, you will get the MP3s for free. You could also end up with a bunch of songs that you don't even like.[/citation]

That's fair. Hey, free songs (sorta...), right? Glass half full, half empty...

- Catherine Cai

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
What? Free for 250 songs and $25/year for the size of my own library? No thanks. Google Music allots for 20,000 songs, and it's free on my DROID RAZR MAXX. I'll stick w/ that. Thanks.

blackjackcf

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]What? Free for 250 songs and $25/year for the size of my own library? No thanks. Google Music allots for 20,000 songs, and it's free on my DROID RAZR MAXX. I'll stick w/ that. Thanks.[/citation]

Apparently, the 250 songs don't include the AutoRipped ones...

- Catherine Cai

G

So, is buying a CD this way cheaper than buying the MP3-only digital album? Because it's basically the same, except that I'd also have to accept delivery of a physical CD that I no longer have any use for at all, which will just sit around taking up space and collecting dust somewhere. These days the physical CD is a liability you'd have to pay me to take, not a bonus. I haven't loaded a real CD into anything in years.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
@WhoNeedsIt:
Physical CDs are usually slightly more expensive than buying the entire album on MP3s. You should expect to pay around $12 on average for a CD vs $10 for the downloadable MP3 version. However, you do get lossless audio, a backup CD and a booklet. The last bit is very important to fans since it can be brought to a concert to be autographed - try that with your MP3 player...

BTW, when I buy CDs on Amazon I may go to third parties for better prices - sometimes it's cheaper than $10 even with the mandatory shipping. I wonder if third-party purchases on amazon.com would be covered under this AutoRip service...

pliskin1

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]agnickolov[/nom]@WhoNeedsIt:physical CDs are usually slightly more expensive than buying the entire album on MP3s. You should expect to pay around $12 on average for a CD vs $10 for the downloadable MP3 version. However, you do get lossless audio, a backup CD and a booklet. The last bit is very important to fans since it can be brought to a concert to be autographed - try that with your MP3 player...BTW, when I buy CDs on Amazon I may go to third parties for better prices - sometimes it's cheaper than $10 even with the mandatory shipping. I wonder if third-party purchases on amazon.com would be covered under this AutoRip service...[/citation]
I looked at my order history, and none of my third party purchases got the autorip, even though it's available for that given album.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS