Amazon is Selling All Verizon Droids for a Penny

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]Proxy711[/nom]Only lame part is they don't offer the $15 plan. But i guess you could downgrade after you purchase.[/citation]
Why the heck would you buy a Droid, and use that lame plan? At that point, you might as well get a dumbphone. They talk and text just as good, and even handle the occasional email just fine. They're cheap too - you can probably pick up a decent phone for a good price, without a 2-year contract!

If you want an internet capable //smartphone// for downloading apps, streaming media, internet, etc. - you're going to want the unlimited data plan anyway. Are data plans overpriced? Yes. Do they offer an unlimited plan at the same $30 that AT&T charges for 5GB? On most phones, yes.

Cymus

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Realistically... The Penny phone, even on a 2 year contract isn't too bad considering the service you get with Verizon. Sure it's a contract, but these devices will last that long, just get the insurance plan and/or extended warranty if you are worried about anything going wrong with the devices. As for the $15 data plan... You are setting yourself up to go over. And going over on $15 data plans can be a pain in the neck. It goes as follows.. $29.99, unlimited data, no overage.. $15, 150 MB data, if you use 151 mb, bumped up to another $15, adds another 150 MB allowance, so on and so forth. The option is clear, might as well get the damn unlimited data and use the Droid the way it's meant to be used.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]6kaine9[/nom]Maybe because routers are cheap and there's free wifi at work, school, and home?[/citation]
Wow you're a genius! Nobody ever thought of this before you! I think we should ditch 3G/4G altogether and only make calls/text/internet on our Cell Phones ONLY where we are in a situation where we could just use a ------- PC anyway! Brilliant!

Not to mention connecting to unsecure networks for fun and profit!

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
I use an iphone and I use it a lot. I use it to it's full potential I would say. I only get the 200 MB a month plan, and the most I've ever used is 120 MB. I usually don't even reach 100. I simply use wifi most of the time. So to the people that are saying you can't use a smartphone fully with only 150MB a month, that's definitely not true.

dragunover

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
The funny thing I hear about people saying that Verizon sucks, is that it's actually the only choice around here that gets any 3G connection out here, so there's really no point in using a smaller network.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
[citation][nom]AlexTheBlue[/nom]Man, why didn't Amazon personally come to your door and tell you? Maybe they could have discussed it with you and Jesus over tea! I think you should piss and moan on the internet about it.[/citation]
I can confidently say that's the greatest response I've read all day. Congratulations. :D

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Meh!

1 cent for a phone plus a 2yrs contract that after two yrs basically will cost you an arm and a leg for surcharges and what not?

Or

My HTC Touch Pro 2 with unlimited text, unlimited data, unlimited anytime calls, basically almost unlimited everything and no discount of any sort to boot for only $50 a month. This beats any deal out there. Though the Touch Pro 2 is a couple of years old, its still fast, customizeable, and better than some current Andriod phones. I basically use my phone to tether on my Laptop anywhere there is signal and download and do as much as I want - no issues. Plus no 2 yrs contract bs and charges etcs. Just $50 a month - FLAT FEE. And yes , its a no contract phone on Boost Mobile. Again, this beats any plan out there if you know what you are doing. And no, I do not work for Sprint or Boostmobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.