Amazon: It Was The Best Holiday Season Ever for Kindle

Status
Not open for further replies.

sissysue

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
What Fing holiday are they referring to, yeah thats right, Christmas, fing PC hacks. I quit celebrating this PC correct retailer extravaganza and don't buy gifts anymore. I know several other people who have started to do the same. Hopefully this will catch on, we can leave it to the agnostics and atheists since Jesus was actually born in the spring. They can have their Santa and the Pagan fir tree in their house.

itpro

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Sissy, most historical accounts I have read put Jesus birth in the fall, probably October. Christmas was originally a Winter Solstice holiday before being co-opted by the Christians back in the Roman days. Either way, any reason to celebrate is a good reason in my book.

darasen

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2005
[citation][nom]itpro[/nom]Sissy, most historical accounts I have read put Jesus birth in the fall, probably October. Christmas was originally a Winter Solstice holiday before being co-opted by the Christians back in the Roman days. Either way, any reason to celebrate is a good reason in my book.[/citation]

And your point is? Most adults understand that a birthday, for example, does not have to be celebrated on the actual day of birth for the the celebration to be viable and genuine.

Diablo666

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
No wonder they sold a lot of kindles. It has been on the main amazon main website since like forever there is no way you could miss it.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]itpro[/nom]Sissy, most historical accounts I have read put Jesus birth in the fall, probably October. Christmas was originally a Winter Solstice holiday before being co-opted by the Christians back in the Roman days. Either way, any reason to celebrate is a good reason in my book.[/citation]

granted that wish to call it Christmas, I mean really what other holidays are driving massive massive amounts of sales, none. It's annoying to hear happy holidays, when really it's Merry Christmas.
1.85% are Jewish
60-76% our Christian
.5% claim to be Muslim

I just went with the three major religions I know of off the top of my head. And to meet seems the majority of people are Christian, but for the sake of appeasing everyone, Christmas became holidays.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
So we add the Kindle to the list of electronics that saw either their best-holiday season ever, or their best Black Friday week sales ever, on top of the Wii, Xbox 360, PS3, 3DS... I may have missed it if it was announced, but I think at this rate it's safe to say the same applies for iOS and Android devices in general. Economic recovery & growth? Or are gadgets making up more and more of consumer spending? Or is it both?
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]It's annoying to hear happy holidays, when really it's Merry Christmas.[/citation]
Well, given that Christmas doesn't have a monopoly on the season, (unlike, to take another Christian holiday, say, Easter or St. Patrick's Day) it would make a bit of sense to use an umbrella term. Especially when it's almost invariably coupled with the secular holiday that follows one week later: New Year's. (hence "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year's") Even just from how cumbersome the full phrase is, it could still make sense to say "Happy Holidays" in the true plural sense, even when one ISN'T trying to offend fellow Christians so insecure in their beliefs that they can't stand to be reminded that their holiday is based on almost every pagan religion out there... And that, as you suggest, 24-40% of Americans aren't even Christian anyway.

Still, it's no real reason to get all upset over; even though it's pretty established that Jesus wasn't born then, it's perfectly fine to make it an occasion for sharing, being with family, etc. I'll just pass on the Christmas music in October, thank you. :p

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Whats with the heated debate about Christmas?! All i know is on Christmas day i run down stairs, arms flailing, rip open my presents wolf down xmas dinner then watch old movies on TV. Who can argue with that?!

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Funny, an article about record setting Kindle sales ends up fueling a discussion about christmas instead.
Goes to show what we think about the 'Kindle'... a product so restricted by it's manufacturer (if you want to call Amazon that) that it is useless for anything but Amazon shopping.

G

I believe the sales figured. I bought 3, the guy sitting next to me at work bought two, the guy sitting beside him bought 1. That's just in one small cube area! you can imaging the sales. Good, give apple a run for their money. I can do more with the kindle then I can with an iPad. Love how easy it is to side load whatever you want. Don't really need to root it yet as the interface is much more pleasing than the standard droid icons. Their latest patch updated fixed all the major known bugs which is sweet also. Thumbs up.

itpro

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Freggo wrote "Goes to show what we think about the 'Kindle'... a product so restricted by it's manufacturer (if you want to call Amazon that) that it is useless for anything but Amazon shopping."

Really, Freggo? I own a Fire, and find no restrictions. Does it not have a full browser? Yes, you can shop on Amazon, but you can also shop anywhere else, or check your email, update FB, tweet, read the news, watch videos (from Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, or anywhere else), download apps (from Amazon's appstore or others). Perhaps you would enlighten us, based on your obviously vast experience with the Fire, as to what these "restrictions" actually are?

itpro

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Continuing the discussion about Christmas started by sissy and continued by others, I have no complaints about Christians and their connection to the holiday of Christmas. I do frown on the claim by some that only Christians have a claim to the holiday, as the celebration started long before Christians embraced it as their messiah's birthday. We can blame the Romans for the habit of embracing traditions from the lands they conquered and making them their own. Since Christianity spread to Rome they followed that concept, continuing to celebrate holidays but redirecting the meaning to match their own beliefs. The Winter Solstice celebration, complete with the decorated evergreen tree and the exchange of gifts, became Christmas, while the Spring Solstice celebration became Easter.

As I said, I have no problems with this, as long as Christians recognize that their holidays have a history that goes beyond their religion, and that non-believers also celebrate along with them. As I said above, any reason to celebrate life and family is a good reason.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
OMG lets all start a religious war...

I thought this article was about the kindle...
My coment is: with the Kindle Fire I'm not surprised at all. I offered to buy my wife one but she declined. I know several other poeple that bought them for family and themselves.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]nottheking[/nom]So we add the Kindle to the list of electronics that saw either their best-holiday season ever, or their best Black Friday week sales ever, on top of the Wii, Xbox 360, PS3, 3DS... I may have missed it if it was announced, but I think at this rate it's safe to say the same applies for iOS and Android devices in general. Economic recovery & growth? Or are gadgets making up more and more of consumer spending? Or is it both?Well, given that Christmas doesn't have a monopoly on the season, (unlike, to take another Christian holiday, say, Easter or St. Patrick's Day) it would make a bit of sense to use an umbrella term. Especially when it's almost invariably coupled with the secular holiday that follows one week later: New Year's. (hence "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year's") Even just from how cumbersome the full phrase is, it could still make sense to say "Happy Holidays" in the true plural sense, even when one ISN'T trying to offend fellow Christians so insecure in their beliefs that they can't stand to be reminded that their holiday is based on almost every pagan religion out there... And that, as you suggest, 24-40% of Americans aren't even Christian anyway.Still, it's no real reason to get all upset over; even though it's pretty established that Jesus wasn't born then, it's perfectly fine to make it an occasion for sharing, being with family, etc. I'll just pass on the Christmas music in October, thank you.[/citation]

just so you get where I'm coming from, I'm an atheist.
I don't even see Christmas as a Christian holiday.
At least to me Christmas is about being together with family, getting a crap ton of presents, and trying to make others happy by giving.

I might see it differently if I actually went to church, because at least my dad that the family is religious, but I never have and probably never will. In America it's more or less majority rule until you offend someone that is the will of the one outweighs the will of the many, and that is something I find very annoying.

Because of a vocal minority Christmas had to kowtow to them them and became happy holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.