Amazon Kindle Tablet Handled, Previewed by TechCrunch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

E-ink displays are still suppose to be easier on the eyes and work outdoors. I'm thinking the traditional kindle is still the better device for reading books.

G

@captaincharisma

nope, not an e-reader, the kindle is more than satisfactory for that, this is a cloud enabled device for surfing the web and media consumption designed to plug directly into Amazon's video streaming, music and other cloud services

IMHO Amazon is a silent dark horse slowly capitalizing small corners of the internet at a time bending it to their will, any company that can have Microsoft and Walmart on the defensive has to be considered as dangerous, even Apple could not win out against Amazon getting the app store name

those who believe that Amazon will ultimately fail need only look at the kindle, a device everyone said will fail, and yet it's synonymous with e-books and the first device that pops into anyone's head when you mention the term e-book reader (not even iPad can claim that crown)

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
If it's done by Amazon,than you can give it the flick! It's most probably uses real el cheapo parts & even parts that come close to being seconds in a factory line up routine. I do not mean between first rate & second rate components,but almost being good enough to be classed as seconds. Like between 3rd rate & 2nd rate components.

megoogler

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Nook Color Android-based tablet/eReader from Barnes & Noble has been on the market for over a year and sold millions of units at $250. Gives Flash, apps, videos, color magazines and ebooks with video inserts, and the best anti-glare coated screen on the market. Technology "leader" Amazon is finally catching up with the book store company by copying their device.
Kindle only supports eBooks in its proprietary AZW format. Nook, on the other hand, supports both DRM-protected and DRM-free ebooks in ePub format thus it supports ebooks from B&N store, from any other DRM-free source on the web, and from public libraries.
If you walk in with the Nook to Barnes & Noble store, you’re allowed to read any available eBook for free while in the store via free provided in the store Wi-Fi.
Nook Color has several apps that already come with the device (Pandora Internet radio, QuickOffice, etc.) and hundreds of other apps are available for download. Also, you can use the Social Settings screen to link your NOOK Color to your Facebook account and your Twitter account. You can also import all your contacts from your Google Gmail account. Once you have linked to Facebook and Twitter and set up email contacts, you can lend and borrow books, recommend books, and share favorite quotes with your friends.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]I'm glad they are not replacing the e-ink Kindle with this and sincerely hope they have no intentions to do so in the future.While some may consider a color, true LCD screen an improvement, when it comes to being a book reader, that screen is actually a downgrade. The Kindle's e-ink screen is practically like reading a book, and does the job very well.[/citation]Agreed, I love the e-ink pearl screen for reading books. For anything else LCD/LED screens are better. Either way, this is a great price for an entry-level tablet like this, especially with the free Amazon Prime subscription. I'd really like a hybrid e-ink/LCD screen, but that would probably cost significantly more. I've seen a switchable model as an aftermarket unit, not sure how well they work, but it seemed to have a lot of potential.

G

I would hope that Amazon uses a transflective display like that of Pixel Qi, or Mirasol, demonstrated here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMxJDi5z-C4

All the benefits of E-ink, plus color and video. Without having that sort of ability, there isn't much that sets it apart from all of the others. I must provide something that even the most blind Mac "sheep" will notice.

G

There is room and need for both e-ink black and a color reader as long as there are color illustrations and photographs. Someday - probably ten years from now - there will be a single device that can deliver both b/w and vibrant color ink with the speed of an lcd or led screen. Until then we will have separate color and b/w readers.

Status
Not open for further replies.