Amazon Looking to Take on Netflix with Streaming Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

jecho

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Dumb people in Hollywood need to realize they are overpaid and eventually overpriced content will kill the media industry. $30 movies on Blu Ray...Yeah RIGHT. I would rather use netflix for $8 a month and not worry about sketchy streaming websites. Its just that they want too much money to make netflix streaming worth it after you watch the good stuff in the 1st 2 months.

jgilmer87

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I absolutely love Netflix, especially the foreign content. That being said, I also really enjoy Amazon, moreso since I bought my Kindle Fire a few months ago. If Amazon were to beef up their selection to compete with Netflix, I would definitely jump ship. Lower price per month, free two day shipping, a free book borrow every month and streaming content to rival Netflix? The choice would be easy.

G

[citation][nom]jgilmer87[/nom]I absolutely love Netflix, especially the foreign content. That being said, I also really enjoy Amazon, moreso since I bought my Kindle Fire a few months ago. If Amazon were to beef up their selection to compete with Netflix, I would definitely jump ship. Lower price per month, free two day shipping, a free book borrow every month and streaming content to rival Netflix? The choice would be easy.[/citation]

This is just pissing me off. Netflix used to be so nice b/c it was the only game in town. This is a case where I believe more competition will do more harm than good.

1) More fragmentation of whats available from who
2) Cost of obtaining rights increases significantly and so do subscriptions

= if you really like streaming service(s) for watching flicks, you would then feel compelled to have multiple subscriptions from the different competitors to have a more complete and satisfying selection while at the same time paying ever-increasing subscription prices because the cost to obtain the rights continues to increase as the services and general idea of streaming increases in popularity.

I wish netflix was the only game in town and could get the rights to everything at a reasonable cost.

jcb82

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
One day I'll be able to just pay one online service and get access to ANY movie or tv show that I want to see. Right now, if i have to watch True Blood, i have to pay for HBO go, then there's Netflix and Amazon. Too many fees abound.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]jcb82[/nom]One day I'll be able to just pay one online service and get access to ANY movie or tv show that I want to see. Right now, if i have to watch True Blood, i have to pay for HBO go, then there's Netflix and Amazon. Too many fees abound.[/citation]
I think you're talking about the nirvana of TV: a-la-carte subscription menu. Sadly, there are too many crappy channels out there that need their consumer fix, hence the cable/satellite providers will always include them. For an online service to deliver something like that, they will have to deal with a lot of contract hurdles, and your subscription fee might get unreasonably high. Once more and more package providers will begin to deliver their own content digitally, the situation might change. However, all these providers will need to be willing to take the huge financial hit of being dumped by the cable/satellite providers (because of competition) before actually making money from individual subscribers like yourself. Only then there will be some online companies willing to aggregate these individual offerings into individualized packages (they will need to add some fees for that, as well, raising final price again).

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
I trust Amazon. Everything they touch they've handled well and fairly to the consumer.

Anyone remember them saying they don't encourage rooting their Tablets but are going to look the other way if you do?

Amazon's a good company that takes care of its customers. Don't worry.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
It doesn't honestly matter who offers it to me, as long as I get what I want at a fair price.
I could pay $100/month for cable TV, or I could pay $8/month for Netflix along with my $65/month internet. Netflix.ca does have quite limited choices however.
If I have to decide over whether I want Amazon or Netflix based on what shows are offered, I'll just grab both, assuming it's a decent price.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Also, commercials.
I could pay a large premium for cable, but then I also get commercials. Save the advertisements for free services like Hulu. If local cable died, I'd be happy.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I still don't understand why neither of these companies do a good job distributing product world wide. Why is it such a big deal to take money from someone outside of the US and let them stream a video? All of these companies need to fire their lawyers.

burmese_dude

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
I hope Amazon makes their streaming works with PS3 and other Bluray players. And if they add more movies, shows, then I'm on board with Amazon Prime again. I already have Kindle Fire and was able to get 1 month of free Prime membership and I was very disappointed with contents they have to offer.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I am a Netflix user and Amazon Prime customer, When streaming on Amazon first started, they had nothing. Now when I check their streaming, most of the things on Amazon that I want to watch are still the Blockbuster style of pay-to-play. However, Prime is still useful because I order a lot of low-cost items and the shipping pays for the service.

Like others, I will not buy several services. If it isn't on Netflix streaming or on an advertising funded service like Hulu, I won't buy it. I'd rather pay $20 to $30 for Netflix with a large library then have to keep several $5 to $10 account with different services. If the market fragments, then I will just stop watching.

Why don't I bother with cable? The digital tier channels (the more "premium" packages) started showing info-mercials late night, and why the heck should I pay $80 to $120 a month to watch commercials?!? (I am a night owl - rarely up during the day).

Long story short - if Amazon ever got to the point where their library rivals Netflixs, I'll drop Netflix - but I won't bother buying dozens of services.

Status
Not open for further replies.