Amazon Patents Method For Users to Sell Digital Items

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]drapacioli[/nom]It's about time someone did this! Now watch, a lawsuit will follow, unfortunately[/citation]

I wonder why the US has so much lawyers per capita income...

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Hey, I have a suggestion... how about simply copying those items?

When is this race (we, humans) going to learn that digital stuff, bits and bytes are NOT things to be sold or bought, as they don't contain any physical resources?

Not to mention the concept of money itself which is archaic, and needs to go away as soon as possible, as it's currently holding us back badly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilY4hRgfC2Q

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I wonder why the US has so much lawyers per capita income...[/citation]

You want a scary thought?

There are more soon to be lawyers in law schools than there are lawyers who are currently practicing.

Growth rates like that are almost viral ...

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]wavetrex[/nom]Hey, I have a suggestion... how about simply copying those items?When is this race (we, humans) going to learn that digital stuff, bits and bytes are NOT things to be sold or bought, as they don't contain any physical resources?Not to mention the concept of money itself which is archaic, and needs to go away as soon as possible, as it's currently holding us back badly.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilY4hRgfC2Q[/citation]

Sounds Marxist to me....

By the same token of the youtube video, there was a two-part episode called Time's Arrow where Twain was explaining to Troi about the acquisition of wealth and the proletariat vs. the bourgeoisie. Where iirc Troi ended the scene with a smile and a nod "that's right"...

G

Ahh, the joys of technology. What used to be done with no knowing of the government/big corporations is now able to have a price put on it. I miss the days where you could borrow a friends CD...

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]wavetrex[/nom]Hey, I have a suggestion... how about simply copying those items?When is this race (we, humans) going to learn that digital stuff, bits and bytes are NOT things to be sold or bought, as they don't contain any physical resources?Not to mention the concept of money itself which is archaic, and needs to go away as soon as possible, as it's currently holding us back badly.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilY4hRgfC2Q[/citation]

Well, first of all they do take up server space, a physical resource, and bandwidth, a limited supply. Second of all, while it does not contain a physical product, it is a labor of an individual who took their time and effort to create that material and needs money to live, eat, and provide shelter for themselves.. Food and shelter do require physical efforts so those resources are not free to creative individuals. Therefore artists need compensation for their art.

How about you? You want to abolish the concept of currency? You can be the first. Sleep in the woods, eat trash you find, and put in physical efforts towards things with no compensation whatsoever. That is not how humanity works. People are only driven to take action when there is personal gain, even volunteers gain a feeling of satisfaction from their charity. Financial gain is the wheel that keeps society rolling forward. The idealistic dream of a currency free society is just an illusion created by people who are cared for by others and have no concept of working to survive.

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
As expected, diehard self-appointend guardiands of the status quo on tomshardware explaining me about how money works ;)

It's still fun to see how you guys get angry every time someone posts about a post-scarcity society.

No worries, some day you'll understand. Every child needs to grow up eventually...

--
But getting back to the subject in hand, Amazon will probably enjoy their patent, for a while, until the system totally crashes (won't take that long, the collapse is already underway, and it's been so for many years already)

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
[citation][nom]wavetrex[/nom] Every child needs to grow up eventually...[/citation]

I'm sure you will at some point.

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
I'm surprised nobody brought up the limit to the number of transfers. Makes it sound more like an allusion to freedom than the real thing. While I like a 2nd hand digital marketplace, I don't like the strings Amazon is wrapping theirs in.

Status
Not open for further replies.