Amazon Supports Internet Sales Tax (What the...?)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]wunderkinder[/nom]"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."[/citation]
What does a Bill Hicks quote have to do with this?

Anyway, small businesses can't compete without a tax, it is an unfair advantage from a large corporation. The tax not only puts corporations such as Amazon on a more level playing field with small businesses, but it also offers much needed taxes to states that miss out due to corporations like Amazon that rely on these outdated tax laws.

This is merely fixing an out of date tax code that has been used to skirt taxes businesses are supposed to be paying.

G

I had a small brick and mortar snowboard shop for about 3 years. We had to close our doors because we could not compete with any of the online retailers. we had too much overhead and even if we had a sale to match their prices we still had to charge the customer tax. I am completely against excessive taxation but in my opinion if they have to raise taxes I would prefer this one as it would help protect local retailers and merchants.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
as much as people moan about sales tax, Internet based sales are booming and that means less business for brick-and-mortar stores that do charge the tax.

Everybody wants to moan about the recession, but nobody supports a tax hike. Sure, maybe the suits aren't spending everything where YOU think it should go, but still, where's this money coming from.

Taxes are a pain in the ass, but neccessary for a democratic government to succeed, especially a non-perfect one like we deal with.

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
I hear over and over and over "more level playing field" and stuff about eliminating cost advantage to online stores. Quick question to you brick and mortar advocates, when was the last time people had to pay shipping and handling when they bought something from a brick and mortar store? And don't shoot back "we have to pay shipping and handling to get the products to our stores" because I used to deal with trucks delivering into best buy, and I know what those shipping rates are, and I know they aren't even comparable to what consumers pay.

This is more a "we suck at what we do, so we want to put a disadvantage to online stores". And complaining about overhead of the building, this suddenly sounds like the restaurants where I live advocating against food trucks and that it wasn't fair since the trucks didn't have to pay for rent.

And need I mention that a federal sales tax is retarded. I don't know about where you guys live, but here, part of the sales tax goes to the state, part goes to the county, and part goes to the city, and none goes to the feds. The rate as such changes city to city based on how people voted for various hikes in sales tax. Explain to me exactly how this should be a federal issue? The fed should determine for each municipality what the tax rate should be I assume?

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Here in Canada all online companies charge Provincial taxes based on where the buyer resides. I work in the IT industry (and have written point-of-sale software specifically) and its not really a big deal. Now it starts to get harder once you go beyond the state level (county, city) or if you sell many different types of products with different tax rules.

adaube

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Best Buy has a logistic structure that has been built to serve their network of stores. They also operate online. Using this company to construct an argument that all brick and mortar stores are able to reap the benefits of this economy of scale is false.

The majority of small business owners have the challenge of consolidating products from varied origin onto their shelves without the buying power or warehousing space of a retail mega-giant such as Best Buy. The turns of inventory needed to facilitate such infrastructure is not in reach of most brick and mortar shops.

Flip this with an online retailer who exclusively sells on the internet. Now you are almost exclusively a function of your marketing and warehouse expense, of which you can outsource much.

cybnetic

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
If there is a internet tax then I will not buy online anymore. that's the whole idea is not paying more money or taxes. I am tired of paying to the government for nothing. of course the mainstream will take it up the ass and still shop. someone has to take a stand so I guess its me.

Zagen30

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
[citation][nom]regnineurg[/nom]people will complain about it, but ultimately very few will stop shopping online as a result of this, simply because laziness/convenience (however people want to sell it to themselves) will win out over getting out of the couch/chair to actually go somewhere to shop. gogo gadget overweight america?[/citation]

Some of it's laziness, but you can't deny that the range of products you can find online is much greater than what you could find in any store. A physical location is by definition limited in how much it can hold. The local Gamestop can only carry a set number of new games and some overpriced used ones, but online I can find essentially every game ever made, and much better prices on used ones (especially through Amazon Marketplace).

[citation][nom]klavis[/nom]I really don't like the idea of a national sales tax. I live in a state where we don't have a sales tax, and to have one forced upon us is a pleasant thought. I can see how it would be easier for Amazon to deal with this issue though.[/citation]

This isn't a national sales tax, it's a way for online retailers to collect state sales tax based on which state the buyer is located. You won't be incurring sales tax if you live in a state that doesn't collect one.

[citation][nom]cybnetic[/nom]If there is a internet tax then I will not buy online anymore. that's the whole idea is not paying more money or taxes. I am tired of paying to the government for nothing. of course the mainstream will take it up the ass and still shop. someone has to take a stand so I guess its me.[/citation]

I won't deny there's a lot of mismanagement and misappropriation of taxpayer money, but taxes are necessary for the government to actually do stuff. Without taxes, who's funding our schools, public transportation services, emergency services, etc.?

51l3n5t

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]as much as people moan about sales tax, Internet based sales are booming and that means less business for brick-and-mortar stores that do charge the tax.Everybody wants to moan about the recession....[/citation]

For a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. Winston Churchill

I love it how you use the excuse of a recession to accept increased taxation.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]illo[/nom]you realize that everything the US government spends money on, comes from taxes. and without taxes we dont have schools, roads, etc....[/citation]

dont forget things like war, nuclear weapons, and police pepper spraying college students. That's all paid for with tax dollars too!

[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]This is merely fixing an out of date tax code that has been used to skirt taxes businesses are supposed to be paying.[/citation]

By business, you mean consumers right? Since when has any business absorbed the cost of a sales tax?

Martell77

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
My online spending habits wont change, I pay sales tax everytime I order from Newegg every time. No sales tax is an perk, but nothing that changes my buying habits. I have a specific reason I don't buy from local stores anymore:
DVD-Burner:
Newegg - $19.99 + tax, free shipping
Local Store - $59.99 + tax and gas

Same brands, same speeds, but the "brick and mortar" stores cost 3 times as much. I understand markup, but that is redicilous.Best Buy has been getting really bad about prices lately too. My local store had a Radeon 6770 "On Sale" for $189.99.

This is why I buy online, even if I'm charged shipping its still cheaper than buying local.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
I laugh at the people posting here who claim that we're supposed to be paying the taxes anyway and reporting to the state on the tax return. Do you really do that for all your out of state purchases? Really? Bulls***.

The state and fed get enough of my money. The first 4 months of the year, I work for them. (33% tax rate) What exactly are they providing me that's worth 100k??? And the guy next to me is paying nothing and getting the exact same benefits as me. (security, paved roads, trash collection). More cause he's getting gov't cheese.

There's a tax on gas, tax on cell phones, tax on cable, tax on food, tax on restaurants, tax on hotels, tax on airfare, tax on property, tax on smoking,..... when is enough enough? Instead of cutting utterly useless spending and pork, they want the easy way out - let the rubes pay more.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
I am not paying no extra taxes; this makes it very unfair for states that do not have sales tax at all. If they pass this I will order EVERYTHING from overseas- good job at killing local businesses if this passes.
This will become overly bloated and abused policy by big businesses. Stay the hell away from internet government!

G

The whole idea of a "sales tax", on the internet or anywhere else, is an abomination.

G

I've had to pay sales tax at Amazon for a couple of years now (NY state). Hasn't really stopped me from shopping there. I still base my purchase on price and free shipping. Usually still cheaper than in a store, with a better selection and less hassle. The only negative I can see is returns are definitely more convenient at a store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS