Amazon Supports Internet Sales Tax (What the...?)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Blame the Democrats they LOVE more taxes![/citation]
[citation][nom]illo[/nom]you realize that everything the US government spends money on, comes from taxes. and without taxes we dont have schools, roads, etc....[/citation]
There comes a time when enough is enough and you have to make do with what you have.. If you removed most of the bureaucracy from the government, there would be more then enough to pay for everything we need and there would be money left over... That being said, the Democrats have never met a tax they didnt like.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
[citation][nom]etailer_pain[/nom]I had a small brick and mortar snowboard shop for about 3 years. We had to close our doors because we could not compete with any of the online retailers. we had too much overhead and even if we had a sale to match their prices we still had to charge the customer tax. I am completely against excessive taxation but in my opinion if they have to raise taxes I would prefer this one as it would help protect local retailers and merchants.[/citation]

If overhead was less, why didn't you start selling online too? People keep complaining, but don't realize that they could have sold stuff online too. If I ever decided to start a business selling stuff, you would bet it would be over the internet.

win7guru

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
There will be positives and negatives from having online vendors charge their customers sales tax. I prefer shopping online because the deals are generally better and I don't have to pay sales tax. It will be up to the vendors to keep things competitive or else brick and mortar stores may make a comeback.

G

What we really need is less politicians hopefully everyone will wake up and kill their local congressman tomorrow.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]baddad[/nom]Why would I shop on line anymore if there's a sales tax.[/citation]
Have you SEEN Best Buy prices for PC hardware? You'd have to be insane to buy a graphics card locally, for example. Unless yours blew up and you really REALLY need one right NAO.

G

How is it fair that online stores benefit by not having to collect sales tax and brick/mortar stores do? How is it fair that if you live close to a non-sales tax jurisdiction you can go there and not pay sales tax? Online stores probably pay a lot less/sq foot for warehouse space than a brick/mortar store pays for retail space - there's the cost advantage. If they are not screwing you on shipping then you should still come out ahead. I say let the feds collect the tax (whether you live in a non-sales-tax jurisdiction or not) and use the collected tax to pay for highways/bridges which shippers use to get the products to your door (too bad it's the government so it won't happen that way). Yes, the government (at all levels) spends too much money, but avoiding taxes is not going to get you anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS