Amazon Tests $7.99/m Prime Service to Tackle Netflix, Hulu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Amazon is moving in the right direction. I pay around 2K per year for crappy cable service. Someone needs to figure out that consumers are willing to pay a lot more than $7 per month, as long as the content is good. With Netflix, Prime and Hulu I can get 80% of what I want to watch. All I need is a little more cable content, HBO and Showtime. Then I will dump the antiquated cable provider. How about NetPrimelu?

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I already have Amazon Prime, but I don't use the video feature a whole lot. Amazon needs to add native apps to Android, Consoles, Windows, and Windows media center if they really want to compete. They're library is to the point where it's a serious contender or, it's just to clunky of an interface and hard to access (relatively speaking).

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
The problem with Netflix, and with this service if they go forward with it, is that it will have a collection of stale content, most of which I'm not interested in watching. After a few months, I'll have gone through all of the stuff that I did want to watch, and they will not be adding more at the pace that I'd want to see it.

I would actually rather they focused on the movie rentals and tried to negotiate deals to make the movies watchable from home sooner. Maybe add a $7 tier for more recent movies in HD. Oh, and Netflix manages to be able to show their high-def content on PC. Amazon ought to be able to too.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
If all these different content providers would just agree to take a little less money than they'd like and EVERYONE put their stuff on Netflix, it would be a smash hit. I would gladly pay $30 a month to have access to every recorded work ever made.

Instead we get all this fragmented crap where one of my shows is there, but these other movies I like are over here, but then this other show is on service number three. . . well I'm sure not buying 3 subs so I guess I'll just download all of it for free. Now you're out 100% of whatever you were going to make.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]If all these different content providers would just agree to take a little less money than they'd like and EVERYONE put their stuff on Netflix, it would be a smash hit. I would gladly pay $30 a month to have access to every recorded work ever made. Instead we get all this fragmented crap where one of my shows is there, but these other movies I like are over here, but then this other show is on service number three. . . well I'm sure not buying 3 subs so I guess I'll just download all of it for free. Now you're out 100% of whatever you were going to make.[/citation]

You obviously don't have a business sense. A business is there to make money. This business (Netflix) is really a 3rd party business, much like cable companies, that have to sign agreements and pay the 1st party (networks) for the rights to play their content. Now, the networks make their money through advertisements. So... let's break this down for you. Netflix = no commercials. A network will not release all of their recorded shows ever made because then they lose a lot of money through advertisements. The more they release to netflix, the more netflix is charged in the agreements, which means higher prices. Soon, if you want to follow that path, you'll be paying cable prices (and probably more).

Now, the fact that you're saying you'll pirate the video instead speaks volumes of your maturity. I have a feeling that you wouldn't even pay $30 a month, you'd just pirate.

I'm not a fan of commercials, hell I don't even watch TV accept for Sundays (Walking Dead, Dexter, Homeland) but I do understand they're necessary at this point in time. Networks need their money to fund and produce these shows.

Have a good night sir

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
[citation][nom]deftonian[/nom]You obviously don't have a business sense. A business is there to make money. This business (Netflix) is really a 3rd party business, much like cable companies, that have to sign agreements and pay the 1st party (networks) for the rights to play their content. Now, the networks make their money through advertisements. So... let's break this down for you. Netflix = no commercials. A network will not release all of their recorded shows ever made because then they lose a lot of money through advertisements. The more they release to netflix, the more netflix is charged in the agreements, which means higher prices. Soon, if you want to follow that path, you'll be paying cable prices (and probably more).Now, the fact that you're saying you'll pirate the video instead speaks volumes of your maturity. I have a feeling that you wouldn't even pay $30 a month, you'd just pirate.I'm not a fan of commercials, hell I don't even watch TV accept for Sundays (Walking Dead, Dexter, Homeland) but I do understand they're necessary at this point in time. Networks need their money to fund and produce these shows.Have a good night sir[/citation]

LOL what a pile of steaming nonsense. Good day indeed.

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
netflix streaming is a great value to me, always great variety for my tastes, anime, mythbusters, cheesy b movies, Eureka. I never fail to find something to watch. Hulu is crap. Cost as much as Netflix, then you have to watch commercials. that's a deal breaker for me. And you get the most current recently air shows for free anyway, so the membership is pointless for the movie content they offer, which is abysmal imo. I just signed up for Prime monthly, because I like the free 2 day more so than there clunky interface, This allows me to keep the membership 2 months for the holidays and then drop it when I no longer need it. not dropping 80 bucks for something I will not get my full value of, makes me happy they have chosen to offer a shorter subscription terms.

G

I am a regular shopper at Amazon. Even now that they charge state tax, I still buy EVERYTHING from them. Soooo......

I tried Amazon Prime (free 1 month trial) and never could use it. The things I wanted to view weren't free, but $2.+ each, or buy a whole season. And the stuff I wanted to buy wasn't available on Amazon Prime. They're going to have to do SOMETHING better or it's just doomed as far as I'm concerned.

I might add that I used Netflix for over a year, and the stuff was getting so stale...(black & white movies??), I finally gave it up.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I like amazon prime, I have it but as a standalone netflix competitor they are lacking in content, though I will admit they are adding more and more continually their content has increased dramatically since I got it less than a year ago. But when added in the fact it's I think $80 a year + free 2 day "Prime" shipping on a lot of things sold on amazon it's a freaking bargain if you shop on amazon with any frequency.

G

Can anyone comment on whether Amazon has added the ability to turn on and off subtitling for anime, foreign movies, and the like? What about closed captioning? Is that available? Thanks. Without these services, I would not enjoy a streaming service.

Status
Not open for further replies.