Amazon: We're Selling Over 1 Million Kindles a Week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavenr

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Hopefully with this money they can improve prime to be better than netflix. Ive been a netflix subscriber for a long time and it seems they are getting nowhere...

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
How do you figure they are sitting on a mountain of money when they are losing money on every Kindle Fire they are selling?

I'm sure down the road it will pay off, but it's more of a long term investment.

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]How do you figure they are sitting on a mountain of money when they are losing money on every Kindle Fire they are selling? I'm sure down the road it will pay off, but it's more of a long term investment.[/citation]

since they are likely making 75% pure profit on every ebook they sell, it shouldn't take long, especially at the obscene prices for ebooks (more expensive than a paperback!?!?!?!? wtf)

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
mrmike, i'm not sure what books you're looking at. Most of them are 3-5 dollars when I look for them on my Fire. Anyway, movies, music, books, apps, anything that can run on the Fire and be stored on their cloud service is getting them money. This is a terribly good investment for them, and I applaud their forward thinking.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
No, they aren't $3-5 for current market books, they are typically the same price as the paperback versions. They SHOULD be $3-5, in my opinion, but at least they've pretty much stopped being MORE expensive than an actual book.

An example of one my favorite authors listed on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_browse-b_mrr_2?rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3AGlen+Cook%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A618073011&bbn=283155&keywords=Glen+Cook&ie=UTF8&qid=1324074099&rnid=618072011

That being said, there is a lot of cheap stuff and even free stuff.

I suggest anyone interested in the Kindle give the latest Nooks a look as well. I only wanted an eReader, so went with the Nook Simple Touch. I was able to get one for $69 with the Black Friday deal they had and a renewed Barnes and Noble membership, not sure what kind of deal they have going on now.

;)

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
I have an E Reader Kindle and love it. E Books are as a rule cheaper than paperback though a new release may be a similar price. The other major plus for the Kindle is I no longer take up shelf space with books. 24 hour instant access, never out of stock (assuming there as an e version available in the first place but 95% of the time there is) no shelving required and very competitive pricing (earlier books in a series are often cheaper than the latest release), support for audio books and the ability to read a chapter before you buy. That really is a lot of positives. For any book lover the Kindle takes books into the 21st century and does so awesomely well. Just make sure you buy the leather cover with the inbuilt light. That really puts the finishing touch on a great product.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
the kindle is loseing 10$ each i believe, amazon app store, and the kindle books, 1 book may make up the difference, and who only buys one app?

they are selling at a loss to get the product out there and make it back software, like how the consoles do it... well ps3 did it to make bluray win.

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
I bought a Kindle last month when I was home on vacation. I like the little thing.I like the e-paper and I like the battery life.

Oh, and the batter is user replaceable.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]No, they aren't $3-5 for current market books, they are typically the same price as the paperback versions. They SHOULD be $3-5, in my opinion, but at least they've pretty much stopped being MORE expensive than an actual book.An example of one my favorite authors listed on Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_ [...] =618072011That being said, there is a lot of cheap stuff and even free stuff.I suggest anyone interested in the Kindle give the latest Nooks a look as well. I only wanted an eReader, so went with the Nook Simple Touch. I was able to get one for $69 with the Black Friday deal they had and a renewed Barnes and Noble membership, not sure what kind of deal they have going on now.[/citation]

Glen Cook!

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
The fact that people are so clueless as to buy a Kindle Fire versus just any other tablet tells you right away the dire state of the masses as far as making intelligent choices. Yes the price is good, but any tablet you choose, including the crappy iPad 2 can allow you to read ebooks, including those put out by Amazon.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Incidentally, I have a tablet and a Kindle, and currently prefer to read all of my ebooks on my Samsung Galaxy S2 with its large 4+ inch screen.

phate

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]The fact that people are so clueless as to buy a Kindle Fire versus just any other tablet tells you right away the dire state of the masses as far as making intelligent choices. Yes the price is good, but any tablet you choose, including the crappy iPad 2 can allow you to read ebooks, including those put out by Amazon.[/citation]
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Incidentally, I have a tablet and a Kindle, and currently prefer to read all of my ebooks on my Samsung Galaxy S2 with its large 4+ inch screen.[/citation]

Incidently, you're clearly an idiot. You first say that "people are clueless" who buy the Kindle Fire. So from your second post I'm going to assume you have and e-ink kindle (either that or you just called yourself clueless). And you are claiming it's better to read a ebook on a ~4 inch LCD phone screen? You're off your rocker.

willwayne

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]mrmike_49[/nom]especially at the obscene prices for ebooks (more expensive than a paperback!?!?!?!? wtf)[/citation]

You can thank the collusion of book publishers and Apple for this

Status
Not open for further replies.