Americans Need Jobs; Firms Look to India

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Corporations have only one requirement: to maximize profit for their shareholders. All else is the means by which they do this.

Have you ever looked at the number of foreign students in graduate schools in the US? Have you ever compared the labor pools and education of the top 1,000,000 workers in the US, India, and China? Have you ever factored in the economy of scales?

India and China are booming. Soon, as their lifestyles demand more luxuries, they will want better pay and labor exploitation will be shipped off-shore. However, while people in the US continue to support the cult of the sport star over the value of an erudite citizen, we will continue to decline. We preached the gospel of free trade and open markets, and now we are learning that there is always someone in the world willing to do it for far cheaper.

Sure, the US could do a 180 and put up trade barriers, but then think of what that means when the champion of free-market capitalism suddenly enacts trade barriers. If we are wrong on this, what other ideas in the "great American experiment" of democracy are wrong?

covertxt5

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
Lets not blame corporations - they only reward share holders and their big appetite for huge ceo salaries with golden parachutes and bonuses. It has to be those unions that pay decent wages to middle class american with decent health care - we cannot allow middle class americans to have a decent living - damn them all. We need more people on minimum wage!!! Ofcoarse if we didnt give companies tax incentives to send employees over seas maybe that would help but hell that was a great bush idea! Lets here more from those republicans who are out of touch!!

elbert

Distinguished
Ok let them outsource I say. Hard fact for these company's is they better have plans to outsource buyers of their produces. Think the car company's already have a fill for this outsourced buyers.

henry_blankett

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]autoboy[/nom]My only goal is to have a successful business so I can feed my family and please my investors that took a risk to invest in me.[/citation]

You admit that "your only goal" is about "me, me, me" -- and maybe some mysterious investors. Nowhere in your mentally-challenged post did you claim any interest in what happens to your employees or even your customers.

[citation][nom]autoboy[/nom] If I am successful, my investors make money so they can invest in another company, creating more jobs, creating more wealth, and increasing everyone's standard of living. Profits fuel job growth and standard of living growth. They are not evil. They go towards developing more jobs and more technology. Stop being stupid America.[/citation]

Let's see now: wealthy American investors are wealthier today than at any time in American history, but the number of American jobs has been disappearing at the same rate as that during the Great Depression. Are you sure you want to continue embarrasing yourself on this forum?

henry_blankett

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Upendra09[/nom]If we are morons then that makes you a total failure because your jobs are being outsourced to India, which means your country doesn't have the resources to make its own software and need our help. All you guys do is sell it and make a profit, you can say that we are morons when we start using products developed by you that is superior to our products.To say we aren't creative doesn't justify us being morons, if you want creativity then ask one of your own country men for it, That is if you can afford their rates, and it doesn't look like you can.[/citation]

If you believe that India is superior to America and its citizens, why does India rely so much on American employers to provide its own citizens with jobs? Surely, a market of a billion people can figure out how to employ itself without holding its hands out for America's outsourced positions.

rhys216

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
We will see how funny it is when most of you are struggling to feed your families, because if you all didn't know America is Bankrupt.
No one is trying to 'really' do anything about it.
The Dollar is dead and the Amero will soon be born, courtesy of the New World Order and 'Global Economy'.

G

I heard Texas Instruments will be renamed to "Kashmir Instruments" soon :)

Upendra09

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
[citation][nom]henry_blankett[/nom]If you believe that India is superior to America and its citizens, why does India rely so much on American employers to provide its own citizens with jobs? Surely, a market of a billion people can figure out how to employ itself without holding its hands out for America's outsourced positions.[/citation]

I am not saying that we are superior to Americans, And i didn't intend that, that is what you are believing, all i am trying to do is defend my country against some idiot who thinks he nows everything about Indians, and talks absolote crap about my country. Just like you were defending you're country. If i offended you in any way then i am sorry, that wasn't my goal, i was only responding to an arrogant reply.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
[citation][nom]Clintonio[/nom]This has been happening to the UK for decades.Outsourcing to India is ridiculously common. So are Indians in the UK. To be honest, I'm completely used to it. Though, if people are that worried, they could move to India and get outsourced to. Thus taking the jobs from the Indians and becoming a "dirty American immigrant stealing our jobs" to the Indians.[/citation]
People are already moving to India. The U.S. is becoming a Fast food/Walmart economy. Been to Singapore lately? The number of foreign workers just keeps increasing every month.
However, I don't believe Americans are lazy though. I think they are still #2 in work per hour and #1 in work per day. (my 2 cents worth)

tman1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
Yes, Indians are idiots. Their tech support follow scripts and if you run across a problem that isn't scripted for, they still follow the flowchart...stupid. No matter how much you know a step won't help, they keep telling you to do it anyways, absolutely stupid.

But American tech support isn't much better. I once had an american tech support person reset the password to my email account, and sent the info to the email account I couldn't get into.

Upendra09

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
[citation][nom]tman1[/nom]But American tech support isn't much better. I once had an american tech support person reset the password to my email account, and sent the info to the email account I couldn't get into.[/citation]

And your saying we are stupid LOL

jkeelsnc

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
All tech support seems to be scripted to some extent so I doubt that there would be a huge difference between what your getting from an Indian versus an american tech support person. However, we are a very "ME" society. Investors are important. But the gentlemen earlier talking about his family and investors never intelligently and exercise his duty as an american to answer the other gentlement who asked him about his employees and even more so his customers. ANSWER the question you right wing penny pinching money grubber! Get off your golf cart and answer to your employees and your customers too! There is more than the money in your pocket!

As for India I have been there including to Bangalore last year where a lot of the outsourcing is occuring. I think its legitimate and the only hope of bringing it back is if programmers here are willing to work for $20,000/yr. That may seem a reverse of what I said about the guy who was talking about his family and investors. However, the reality is that if one company outsources then the rest have to to remain competitive. We HAVE to focus on EDUCATION as the number one priority and I mean make it rigorous and high caliber from the beginning. Parents need to be more strict with their children and expect them to perform. The schools cannot be a nanny for your children all the time. Get some strict discipline going and make your children learn. Same goes for the universities. This is our only chance. Secondly, despite what you right wing dumb butts say we need to implement some kind of significant healthcare reform because the current system is out of whack and YOU know it. The government WILL have to be involved. It is an undisputed fact that the best societies in the world and the ones where majority of the people live the happiest lives are where the people are the MOST educated and the HEALTHIEST. So republicans go yourselves and pay attention to your customers FIRST and then equally your investors and also your employees. Your greedy investors will not matter if you don't have customers and employees to buy your services and do business for you. Get over yourselves.

jkeelsnc

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
OK enough of my ranting. Outsourcing is a reality and its not going away. Sometimes, it is a good thing. The answer the problem (because it is a real problem) is education and developing new industries locally that cannot be done anywhere else. An industry or new ideas that are dependent on location and cannot be outsourced or moved to China.

darth_dirt

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
The loss of jobs in the US has nothing to do with overpaid, unionized workers. It has to do with US corporations wanting to make the largest possible profit. And since making massive profits are what corporations are all about, there is nothing we can do about the loss of jobs. If there is someone else willing to do a job for less money, why shouldn't a corporation hire the person asking for less money?
The real problem lays in complaining about the loss of "good jobs." Those jobs are gone forever. Programing in the US? Bye-bye. Manufacturing in the US? Bye-bye. The only way the US could ever get those jobs back would be US workers agreeing to the subject themselves to the unacceptable wages and work practices those foreign workers endure. I don't see that happening. It's time to think in a different way.
Instead of complaining about a loss of good jobs, emphasis should be placed on making the jobs that are available better, safer and more secure. US coal mine and factory workers in the 1920's didn't have 'good jobs'. They routinely worked long days, for low wages, in very dangerous conditions. But they stood up for themselves, demanded better conditions and wages (even in the face of armed soldiers and mercenaries demanding they return to work), and eventually MADE the US middle-class.
These worker of the 1920's stood up to corporations that hated them, governments that were in the corporations pockets and people with guns trying to force them back to work. They forced changes in labour laws. They forced changes in employment practices. They defined what we refer to as 'good jobs'.
Today's workers are a different lot. We cower at the word 'union'. We are terrified of the system we have created by allowing corporation to once again purchase politicians. Labour laws again favour employers. Forming a union is next to impossible in most US states. 'Right to work' laws? Pathetic. It should be 'Right to work a decent job'.
It may sound strange to consider a McDonalds cashier making $22/hr, or a Wal-Mart Greater making $17/hr, but if those are the only jobs that are left in the good, old USA why shouldn't they be 'good jobs'?
It's not like McDonalds will close up shop and move somewhere else. If every McDonalds unionized, where would they go? Besides, if people have money to spend, someone will be there to allow them to spend it. If McDonalds moves out, some other small business owner can buy the vacant store and start their own version of the American dream:being their own boss and rising as high as they can. I for one don't see anything wrong with that.

G

I, in India, use an American Dell computer, drive an American car Ford (a cheaper model though), have a Japanese Honda bike and watch a Korean Samsung TV...

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
in spite of all this , whoever (albeit a minority) is coming to india to work here , you are welcome . we look forward to work together . from an indian software engineer , and a regular at tom's .

but whoever isnt , please dont call us morons . we are more supportive of u.s then you know .

india needs strong ties in this world economy , as we are surrounded by islamists on the west and communists on the right and north .

back in the cold war days india was leaning towards soviets , and that period sucked . no individual reward , government had too much control , foreign investment wasnt allowed .

thank god things have changed for good here .

Status
Not open for further replies.