AMOLED Shortage Causes HTC to Use Super LCD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]Comparable my ass! Anyone that has seen AMOLED displays will not be satisfied with "Super LCD". That's like comparing those old, clunky DLP rear-projection big screen TVs with the newer plasma screen TVs (well, maybe not QUITE that bad, but close). They should really be offereing a discount to anyone getting a phone with the SLCDs instead of the AMOLEDs.[/citation]

I will be glad to take all of your "obsolete" LCD devices off your hands, I will give you a great price, 25 cents on the dollar.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]I am a photographer who wears corrective lenses and my vision (thanks to the glasses) is far sharper than average.[/citation]
Whilst I concur with your arguments regarding the screens, I am dating an optometrist. Your vision is NOT better than average, but rather (thanks to the glasses) normal. Average eyes = normal eyes = "perfect" vision. The reason people get glasses is to return to this normal state...not to exceed it. otherwise glasses would be beneficial to just about everyone...and this is not the case.

(although, I, with normal, not-in-need-of-glasses eyes CAN tell the difference between 720 and 1080 ...but i also own a hardware company...so that = experience)

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]You gotta be blind not to see the dif between 1920*1080 vs 1280*720. Even 1366*768 looks horrible on a decent display.[/citation]

Really?! on a 3inch screen you'll see the difference? oh please

mdbrotha03

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]Comparable my ass! Anyone that has seen AMOLED displays will not be satisfied with "Super LCD". That's like comparing those old, clunky DLP rear-projection big screen TVs with the newer plasma screen TVs (well, maybe not QUITE that bad, but close). They should really be offereing a discount to anyone getting a phone with the SLCDs instead of the AMOLEDs.[/citation]

I broke my launch Incredible the other day. I got one of the SLCD models back in the mail for a replace ment. I agree AMOLED does look better than S LCD. Everything on my screen has a slight brown tint to it. Not to mention the contrast sucks compared to AMOLED

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]wawa sxm[/nom]Really?! on a 3inch screen you'll see the difference? oh please[/citation]

I was talking about the comparison, anyway there is no 3inch display that does 1080p that I know of.

Hint:

[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]You gotta be blind not to see the dif between 1920*1080 vs 1280*720. Even 1366*768 looks horrible on a decent display.[/citation]

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Is this your own rhetoric, or have you done scientific studies?

Set up two 46" TVs of the same size in a dark room, one supporting 1080p and the other 720p. Use an HDMI splitter to play the same video source on both screens. Now, have people stand about 10 feet away (the rough distance recommendation of 2.5x the diagonal dimension) and tell you the resolutions of both screens (don't mention they're different or even suggest that one is 720P and the other is 1080p). Chances are, people can't tell the difference. It's the same principle used with Apple's claim of "Retina Display". At certain distances, the human eye is only able to distinguish certain granularity.

Sure, standing 2-feet away in a Best Buy will allow you to tell the difference, but in a standard home setup, you probably can't.

yellowblue

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Joebob2000 is right after all. Super LCD if priced better is a good compromise and I am not using my phone as a monitor anyway.

G

Oh, nice! I returned my N1 because I couldn't stand the OLED screen. The black levels were superb, but alternating pixels were missing red and blue subpixels -- everything had a sawtooth look to it, especially text. I'd have kept the phone if there had been an LCD option.

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
If OLEDs have been in phone displays for as long as LCD there's no telling where they would be now. Problem is the tech is in it's infancy for phones and small format TVs. Right now there's not much more room for LCD to improve, but there is a great amount of room for OLED(especially in large format displays).

Who knows, a combination of white OLED backlighting may be standard in LCD screens if the tech is easier to produce. (Dont know if I'm speaking out of my rear here).

What I do believe is that OLED displays will become the standard for laptop and TVs EVENTUALLY. They just need to ramp up with demand and improve just a little more. I'm willing to wait and see.

airgreek

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
All I have to say is after FOUR HTC Incredible replacements I am now woth Droid X and could npt be happier. The HTC Incredibles that I had ALL randomly rebooted.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Even with the "ancient" AMOLED found in my Cowon for any crapstactic LCD.

Fin on youtube the H-IPS vs S-AMOLED. Once on the AMOLED world you never look back.

Status
Not open for further replies.