Amp cuts off speaker sound when volume gets loud

ArshamSadr0111

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016
I've recently bought:

https://www.amazon.com/Lepy-LP-2024A-Amplifier-Stereo-Supply/dp/B00ULRFQ1A/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1481759038&sr=1-2&keywords=Lepy+LP-2024A%2B+Hi-Fi+Audio+Amplifier

https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-B652-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B002RMPHMU/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1481759051&sr=1-1&keywords=Dayton+Audio+B652

https://www.amazon.com/Ugreen-Plated-Auxiliary-Stereo-Splitter/dp/B00LM2Y2U4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1481759019&sr=1-1&keywords=3.5mm+to+2RCA

I've setup everything correctly and i started testing the sound. The quality is decent but my problem is when i turn up the volume to around over 65% on the amp, volume gets cut of from the speakers. Is this because the volume is too much for the speakers to handle? or is my amp shitty and cant handle too much volume? I don't know what exactly is the problem.

Also on the side note, should i get a separate sub woofer and if so how much of a difference does it make over all? I've never used or seen what a sub does. This is the first time i'm setting up a stereo system with speakers and i don't know what is the best choice, i'm not even sure if it is worth for me to keep these or return them and save up for more expensive speakers such as the Audioengine A5+.

Solution
given that the speakers are 40w (75w max peak) and the amplifier is 20w you shouldnt be getting a no volume scenario as that amplifier should not be able to push more than the speakers can handle. now, the 2020 is a crap amp and you will get lots and lots of heavy distortion when you crank the volume up.

perhaps something defective.
i skipped right over the 2020 and went with a dta-120 from dayton myself for the mid-towers we run in the other room. its a good little amp.

a subwoofer would add low end power (more bass response). smaller bookshelves and satellite speakers may lack on bass although larger bookshelves, mid towers and full towers generally have a bit of low end. also, the very low tones are generated from the larger driver...
given that the speakers are 40w (75w max peak) and the amplifier is 20w you shouldnt be getting a no volume scenario as that amplifier should not be able to push more than the speakers can handle. now, the 2020 is a crap amp and you will get lots and lots of heavy distortion when you crank the volume up.

perhaps something defective.
i skipped right over the 2020 and went with a dta-120 from dayton myself for the mid-towers we run in the other room. its a good little amp.

a subwoofer would add low end power (more bass response). smaller bookshelves and satellite speakers may lack on bass although larger bookshelves, mid towers and full towers generally have a bit of low end. also, the very low tones are generated from the larger driver of subwoofers (rumbling bass). dayton's sub- prefixed subwoofers are good value. the polk psw10 isnt bad either but not quite as good as the daytons.

is the 2020a + b652 a good choice? its not a bad entry level choice, though its about as cheap as you can go and many many products are better (but more expensive). powered speakers like the cr3/cr4, av32/av42, pb42x or similar (yes even then a2/a4) are decent. most lack on bass given they are smaller bookshelves and have no subwoofer. the a2/a4 are honestly overpriced in my opinion (i've heard them right next to the cr3/cr4 and pc speakers). another option is going with some passive speakers and a better quality amplifier. some larger bookshelves like klipsch kb-15's or pioneer bs22's are good choices.

we run three sets in this home.

5.1 klipsch setup using satellite speakers, subwoofer and receiver
subwoofer adds the needed punch on low end. nice bright and vibrant sound.
2.0 sony setup using floorstaning speakers and receiver
no need for subwoofer given the floorstanders generate quite a good kick
2.0 harmon kardon setup using mid-towers and dta120 amp
no need for subwoofer given the mid towers handle bass well. the small amp seems to work very well

Solution

ArshamSadr0111

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016
Wow thanks for all the amazing information. Yeah i was basically just testing the waters and went for the cheapest yet acceptable quality option. I still have the option of returning all this if it does not work out for me so i'm not worried. I'm using this setup on my office desk which i do gaming on it here and there and enjoy music while doing so. I was a bit let down of the difference between the sound quality of what i already had and these new speakers. These have more bass but not to an extreme amount, this could be because they r not getting enough from the amp or because i don't have a sub. I might order some better quality speakers to compare in order to learn to judge what is good or bad when it comes to sound quality and speakers.
The two big ones that are in my mind are:

Aiwa Exos-9
https://www.amazon.com/Aiwa-Exos-9-Portable-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B00WF78GS4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
(I know this is a different style and not a bookshelf speaker but i'm looking for quality, volume and bass so this works well. Also don't have worry about a separate sub or amp, its an all in one package)

and

M-Audio AV42
https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-20-Watt-Compact-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B00X741TB0/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1481763338&sr=1-1&keywords=M-Audio+AV42

you might also like the swan m20 or m50. they have a subwoofer and are a fairly small kit. a bit on the expensive side but no more so than some other choices. i know edifier has a few kits as well but i'm not as familiar with them

i cant really give any advice on that aiwa system.

the cr3/cr4 are probably a little better off than the av32/av42.

i think the reason people turn their noses at bose is because they are generally shoddily built, overhyped, overmarketed and overpriced. generally they do sound fairly decent but not at the level of their pricetag.