Amp upgrade for my headphones

JediMa

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
Hi guys I'm using an Objective 02 with my Beyerdynamic 990 dt pro (250 oHm ofc) . I was wondering if I can find a better one to get the best from them and that can be good for future headphones

important , i dont care if it's portable or not.
Budget: a good proportion with the value of my headphones

Thank you :)

Solution
agreed, the o2 amp (are you using an odac as well?) is good enough for most of the headphones you will use.

until you start stepping into headphones in the 4-500+ category it is more than sufficient as honestly spending more money on the headphones than amp will give you a better return.

if you absolutely wanted an upgrade, perhaps the next step up from schiit. the modi/magni compete well (but at a cheaper price point) than the odac/o2 but the next level or two up may be worth considering if you feel the need. perhaps the schiit lyr.

generally you would make a bigger step up in quality by getting better source files, better headphones and a proper dac though.

aithos

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
If you want good recommendations then you're going to need to provide a bit more information.

First, are you looking for an amp/dac or only an amp? If you're currently running an o2+odac from a reputable company that combo is good enough to run pretty much any pair of headphones you could possibly want until you start getting into either very expensive sets ($2000+) or specific types of audio styles (which is almost entirely subjective to your tastes).

Additional information we need would be:
- What kind of headphones are you considering in the future and on what kind of budget?
- Do you like open or closed headphones?
- Do you like/dislike tubes?

And so forth... If you're looking for a straight upgrade then something like the Grace Design M9XX is a pretty reasonable amp/dac combo with some very high end features for right around $500 that will easily run anything you throw at it. I've got some Sennheiser HD650s, AKG K7XX, and some Fostex TH-X00 headphones that all sound great on it.

With that being said if you intend to get some HD800S or some Audeze LCD-4 headphones then you're probably going to want to do some more research and pair those with an amp that is complementary to the specific pair you pick out. Which, a purchase like that should be done after having heard them in person at a good audio store... not over the internet.

JediMa

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
Mhm ok I try:

Amp only because I dont use them with a computer and i'm neither going to do it.
I play my music mainly with a FiiO X3 2nd gen about headphones I'm going to buy an AKG K 702

thank you

agreed, the o2 amp (are you using an odac as well?) is good enough for most of the headphones you will use.

until you start stepping into headphones in the 4-500+ category it is more than sufficient as honestly spending more money on the headphones than amp will give you a better return.

if you absolutely wanted an upgrade, perhaps the next step up from schiit. the modi/magni compete well (but at a cheaper price point) than the odac/o2 but the next level or two up may be worth considering if you feel the need. perhaps the schiit lyr.

generally you would make a bigger step up in quality by getting better source files, better headphones and a proper dac though.

Solution