Amplifier and subwoofer

hugo008

Estimable
Feb 14, 2015
Ok so I have a subwoofer and an amplifier the amplifier has a sub output, but I cant seem to find the ohms or watts that the sub requires on the amplifier or the speaker. Should I just plug the sub in and see what happens or should I do something else what should I do please help?? Thanks

Solution
Look up the names on the Sub and Amp and try to find that information out, it could be useful. If there's really no way to tell, take it to a car audio place and see if they'll test the amp for you so you at least have an idea what you're dealing with. You can have a speaker that takes more power than the amp can provide, and even though I haven't seen it, you can melt your amp with too big a speaker, conversely, if your amp is too big for the speaker you can melt the speaker trying to push too many volts/watts/amps into it. I don't know much about the electrics behind it, but I do know that for any help, you'll need to provide more information on here. Telling us you have an amp and a sub is good, but gives us no idea *what* you...

jossrik

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2002
Look up the names on the Sub and Amp and try to find that information out, it could be useful. If there's really no way to tell, take it to a car audio place and see if they'll test the amp for you so you at least have an idea what you're dealing with. You can have a speaker that takes more power than the amp can provide, and even though I haven't seen it, you can melt your amp with too big a speaker, conversely, if your amp is too big for the speaker you can melt the speaker trying to push too many volts/watts/amps into it. I don't know much about the electrics behind it, but I do know that for any help, you'll need to provide more information on here. Telling us you have an amp and a sub is good, but gives us no idea *what* you have. Can't give you advice without more information. Other than it may be a bad idea in certain situations. IF you keep the volume low there should be little chance of wrecking either part if the ohms and watts don't match up perfectly.

Solution