An Overview of Google's Driverless Car Patents

Status
Not open for further replies.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I can't wait for this to be implemented. I suffer from a rare neurological condition called Unability to distinguish between a child and a crumpled packet of cigarettes-itis and the sooner I'm off the road, the better.

Meanwhile, if you're interested in how to hide or remove the damage and blood traces from hitting wildlife on the road, visit my blog www.hejustcameoutofnowhere.com

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
When driverless cars are just like Minority Report it will be so cool, all the freedom of owning your own vehicle, but the ability to watch a movie or TV show on your tablet like a public transport commuter

G

The negativity towards car culture these days is ridiculously annoying. It seems the year 2000 rolled around and suddenly cars are evil, driving is a hassle, and anything other than a Prius makes Captain Planet cry. What ever happened to cars being cool? Your first car meant you were now independent, you could load all your friends in and just go for a drive and catch dinner and a movie. It wasn't uncommon in the 60's and 70's for your first time with a girl to be in the back of your car. Your car really represented who you were, with fastback Plymouths, Dogde, and Fords; or going to the drive in with a cute girl in your Chevelle, Skylark or whatever you had at the time. It was a part of you in more ways than you could ever imagine. This seems to be lost now.

Call me old school but these silly automatic-everything prius things will never be a part of your personality, they will never be cool and they will never be fun.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
The strange absence of any criticism of the patent system is quite noticeable. It only happens when Google is benefiting from the said system.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]The strange absence of any criticism of the patent system is quite noticeable. It only happens when Google is benefiting from the said system.[/citation]
There just one small, insignificant, teeny-tiny, itsy-bitsy difference... Google is actually inventing something TO patent.

aeurix

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Traffic accidents cause a lot of unfortunate fatalities... with any hope these automated cars will reduce, or in the long run, eliminate that.

Next up we should eliminate guns so people can't commit murders (Aurora), and spoons/forks so people can't die of heart disease. haha, just kidding. But the reducing traffic deaths is a good start at chipping away from the top 10 causes of death in the world.

G

Wait until Google gets blown away by the FAR superior product that Apple releases. Google doesn't stand a chance of surviving, unless the copy like they always do.

derkman

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
[citation][nom]HAVOCcuas3r[/nom]Wait until Google gets blown away by the FAR superior product that Apple releases. Google doesn't stand a chance of surviving, unless the copy like they always do.[/citation]

Can't tell if serious or trolling.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]vertigo_2000[/nom]There just one small, insignificant, teeny-tiny, itsy-bitsy difference... Google is actually inventing something TO patent.[/citation]

You can argue easily that Apple's adaptations and inventions, whatever they may be, are also valid inventions. You can't simply dismiss Apple's track record as "invalid" simply because you may be a Google fan.

Example? Original iPod. It's just a combination of parts. But the form factor it made was brilliant for its time, and it stood the test of time until advent of iPod touch.

iPhone? Yeah, the first one seriously lacked any punch. Heck, EDGE antenna in 2007 was outdated. But it did something that no other company managed to pull off; eschew hardware buttons for a big, spacious (for 2007) screen controlled by finger, in a good-looking form factor. Their patent for that design stands because no one has done that before.

Basically, that's what it boils down to; whether you consider it to be actually useful or not, it doesn't matter. The inventor got there first, and if there was nothing like it before, they deserve the patent.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I hope they do extensive testing in alternate weather/terrain conditions. It would suck to ask your car to drive you home because its snowing and you don't know how to drive in the snow, and the car rear-ends the next vehicle in front of it, because it doesn't know how to either..

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]You can argue easily that Apple's adaptations and inventions, whatever they may be, are also valid inventions. You can't simply dismiss Apple's track record as "invalid" .... The inventor got there first, and if there was nothing like it before, they deserve the patent.[/citation]

Everyone knows Apple invented the 4:3 screen ratio, flat displays, clear displays, rectangular displays, bezel less displays, speaker openings where the ear is supposed to go, thin cell phones and square icons or rectangular icons with rounded corners.

The only invention from Apple I have seen is how to make people feel good about spending $4000.00 on a cell phone + contract from AT&T.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Everyone knows Apple invented the 4:3 screen ratio, flat displays, clear displays, rectangular displays, bezel less displays, speaker openings where the ear is supposed to go, thin cell phones and square icons or rectangular icons with rounded corners.The only invention from Apple I have seen is how to make people feel good about spending $4000.00 on a cell phone + contract from AT&T.[/citation]

Again, all you need to look at is this Tom's Guide news:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Android-pre-iphone-early-build-google-sooner-G1,news-15105.html

Apple certainly didn't invent touchscreen, nor did they invent wireless technology. But heck, they put it together in a way that blew all the mobile phone players out of the water.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Anyone else amazed how Google revolutionized the world through a search engine in someone's garage that was initially for a school project?

Un-fucking-believable.

bubbathaluva

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
Eddieroolz, why are there comments about Apple in the comments section of THIS article. Has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH APPLE. Troll elsewhere.

G

Sebastian Thrun left Stanford because he is in debt to Stanford people with his involvment into Stanford student May Zhou's death, he is not innocent in an unsuccessful plotted murder on me either and I have been cursed by powers from Sebastian Thrun's side for many years. Sebastian Thrun dare not deny to the public his involvment into such fascism crimes till today and I am still waiting to see why he dare not

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
[citation][nom]M232[/nom]This seems to be lost now.Call me old school but these silly automatic-everything prius things will never be a part of your personality, they will never be cool and they will never be fun.[/citation] ...

You're right, a CAR, or anything else I own will never be a part of my personality. If they were I'd be an Apple user.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]M232[/nom]The negativity towards car culture these days is ridiculously annoying. It seems the year 2000 rolled around and suddenly cars are evil, driving is a hassle, and anything other than a Prius makes Captain Planet cry. What ever happened to cars being cool? Your first car meant you were now independent, you could load all your friends in and just go for a drive and catch dinner and a movie. It wasn't uncommon in the 60's and 70's for your first time with a girl to be in the back of your car. Your car really represented who you were, with fastback Plymouths, Dogde, and Fords; or going to the drive in with a cute girl in your Chevelle, Skylark or whatever you had at the time. It was a part of you in more ways than you could ever imagine. This seems to be lost now.Call me old school but these silly automatic-everything prius things will never be a part of your personality, they will never be cool and they will never be fun.[/citation]

cars stopped being cool the moment that they all started to look the same with a different name... you want a car to look intresting, well those are in the 50000$+ range

you want a car that you can afford off burgerking money, you will get a 1000$ piece of crap that is tons of work.

you know why most people have a car now? to go to work and come home, gas isnt cheap, and the only reason we drive is because of a point a to point b trip, we dont drive for the sake of driving anymore.

im 24, and thankfully with my living situation i don't require a car at all.
who wants to drive at all?
if you could give me a car, i could get in the back seat and sleep, or do ANYTHING but drive, i would take it in a heartbeat.
and where i live, i see enough drunk people, and old people who vear off into the oncoming lane that driving can scare the hell out of me, the sooner computers do it the better.

[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]The strange absence of any criticism of the patent system is quite noticeable. It only happens when Google is benefiting from the said system.[/citation]

probably because they didnt patent moving hinges with walls on them, or patent a rounded pettle.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]......................................Meanwhile, if you're interested in how to hide or remove the damage and blood traces from hitting wildlife on the road, visit my blog www.hejustcameoutofnowhere.com[/citation]

That's not a real web site.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I believe the US patent system will do the world a favour if they reject these patents. These are fundamental technologies for enabling autonomous vehicles and I for one would rather not have one company own the right to provide things like... well any of these patents, because they are too important. A competitive environment is needed to ensure that car owners of the future will get the very best - For the sake of safety. It would be as negative as Apple seemingly having the right to make and sell small flat square boxes with screens in the front. Not cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.