Analyst: Blocking Used Games Will Mean Retailer Backlash

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I honestly think these "leaks" are intentional just to see how negative consumers and retailers will react to banning used games. I still find it unlikely Microsoft or Sony are stupid enough to do this without really digging into the pros and cons of each approach. Basically--unless everyone does it, nobody will. If Wii U, for example, allows used games, Sony and MS will as well. Or they'll find out the hard way, but I don't think they're that stupid.

aoneone

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
aha.. gamestop will be going out of business. keep up the good work ps4 devs! this idea model should be followed for xbox 720 and any further successors to confirm the demise of used video game retail monopoly! ^^

acoriano

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
This is all hear-say... I don't believe it will ever happen..
Not being able to borrow or trade games with freinds?!?
The company that implement such a system will go banckrupt.

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
If it is implemented on the ps4 or xbox durango, i will definitly jailbreak both systems and pirate every single peace of software that comes out

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Its such crap. They make a game and can sell it an unlimited amount of times because there is no overhead in copy pasting software and yet they want all those copies to be per one person. Wow talk about some serious greed. Consoles and these greedy bastards should go die in a fire. Im so sick of the greed in this world.

G

I think people are overlooking the fact that we pay $60 for a new game, trade it in for $22 at Gamestop and they turn around and charge $55 for a used copy.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Or, you know, go out of business. I don't like it more than anyone else, but seriously, who are they kidding? People will just buy the consoles at Best Buy or Wal-Mart.Ultimately, I think console makers will simply see a reduction in sales. People who are buying new games now will continue to do so in the future, while people who buy only used games now will simply not buy the console. Overall, games sales will be the same while console sales will drop. My 2 cents.[/citation]

You do know that Best Buy and Wal-Mart sell used games, don't you?

Many people fund their new game purchases by selling their old games. If you can't sell stuff you no longer want to generate cash, then you'll buy less. And I never get why people put game publisher/developers on such a pedistal. Why do they get to opt out of the natural and long-standing laws of commerce?

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
What they will likely do is give a key code to play the game online and unlock "bonus content" and call that an extra feature in addition to the game. That key will be locked to an account. They will be able to then say that used copies don't come with those "complimentary bonus features". Tthat should get around laws in most countries. If not, they can just detect where a user is connecting from and unlock the content for regions where its not legal to do that.

It would be nearly impossible for hackers to bypass such a feature short of creating a virtual server that hijacks the network connection. Even then, online play would not be allowed. This would also make it so they would not need to build different systems for different regions. None of the validation is done in the console's hardware or software. Everything is done on the manufacturer's servers.

G

The more the game companies treat their customers like crap, the more they chase them to piracy. They are their own worst enemy. Almost all gamers have no problem rewarding outstanding gameplay and fair treatment by paying for games. If either is taken away, so does the need to reward the game companies. If you are treated like criminals, then gamers will also treat game companies like criminals.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]mchuf[/nom]You do know that Best Buy and Wal-Mart sell used games, don't you?M[/citation]
Irrelevant. Best Buy and Wal-Mart do not live off used games. They couldn't care less if they'd have to stop selling them. More shelf space. Gamestop and the like, however, might as well put the key under the door.

Jprobes

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
[citation][nom]flapjackfritz[/nom]I have to wonder -- if the big three console manufacturers all together decide to change their system to block out second hand sale retailers, is there some kind of anti-trust or monopoly law they will be breaking? It seems like it might be something that creates a non-competition atmosphere.[/citation]

It would be hard to fathom that this would not end up at either the Appellant Courts or even the Supreme Courts. Reselling a individually purchased item is in the rights of the person who bought it. In allowing Sony/MS/Nintendo to be able to limit the use of a physical disc would set a precedent for corporations that would be unheard of.

Allowing this to happen would expose this practice and it will be exploited and abused beyond comprehension.

Along with that it would be a direct attack at the solvency of Gamestop which would fight it to the death. But even Gamestop as a company knows there business model is not finite. The nature of technology will dictate weather or not their current model will be successful in the future.

I just could not imagine that this being banned either through legislation or the courts in the end. The only way that the developers could force this issue is going to an all digital medium. But even then I could see legislation and or the courts forcing the game companies to offer a physical medium.

This is a losing battle for the Developers/Console makers to protect a failed business model. In the end there becoming their own worst enemy.

G

This will not hurt the console. This is all part of the push to go digital and eliminate the "bought media" requirement. With the online stores and such like XBox Live that already offer older versions of the games at discounted rates second hand media is no longer needed and in my opinion just clutter. I welcome the change to get rid of media in that aspect, get rid of the mounds of games, movies, etc that we all have cluttering up our Entertainment consoles. The only people that this should upset are the people that are use to obtaining copies of these items illegally via downloads and copies.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Well, PC games have been going through this for years.

Sometimes I wonder how these corporations are even still around with business decisions like this. They aren't loosing money, they are just not making profit. They think the solution is to stop customers from making money?!?! Well, think about this, if gamers don't sell there games and make money, then they can't afford new games. It's a big vicious cycle.

All the corporate greed is sickening.

G

[citation][nom]upgrade_1977[/nom]Well, PC games have been going through this for years. Sometimes I wonder how these corporations are even still around with business decisions like this. They aren't loosing money, they are just not making profit. They think the solution is to stop customers from making money?!?! Well, think about this, if gamers don't sell there games and make money, then they can't afford new games. It's a big vicious cycle.All the corporate greed is sickening.[/citation]

I get such a good laugh out of these hypocritical posts. Your greed for used sales $$$ is making you complain about their greed for more first hand sales $$$!

Get off your high horse!

stoogie

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
Regardless if Gamestop or any other store completely bans the sale of Xbox 720 or PS4 everyone will find another way to get there hands on them, and it will change nothing.

acoriano

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
Why not start charging 20$ for every new game?
Charging 60$ has it is now, forces many to avoid buying games every month, if it was only 20$
the secound-hand market would make less money and ppl would buy many more new games.

Status
Not open for further replies.