Analyst Thinks that Demand for the iPad is Fading

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]Said box may shrink substantially, but a handheld touchscreen tablet will never be the perfect device for intense A/V editing, mechanical design, top-tier gaming (if it still exists), etc.[/citation]

Consumers don't do intense A/V editing or mechanical design.

Desktop PC sales are already declining because the vast majority of people just don't need any more processing power than their 5year old dual core CPU has.

Think of what tablets and set-top-boxes will be able to do 10 years from now. There is just no need for a conventional desktop PC then.

PC gaming will sadly die along with the ubiquitous PC.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]chomlee[/nom]The demand for Ipads is shrinking probably because there are more and more competetors.[/citation]

I'll give you a different reason. This type of product at that price point has probably reached a market saturation. Many more people would get one if the price is adjusted. Tablets are generally over expensive. I would like to get one to read books on it but so far it is cheaper to buy hard copy books. And the tablet is a breakable device. If you get one and intend to have a tablet for many years you should be able to shell $500-600 every 18-24 months.
Tablets like Transformer Prime + Keyboard should be suitable to do lots of things, including serving educational purposes in the Third world... but at that price - it's a big NoNo.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Consumers don't do intense A/V editing or mechanical design. ... PC gaming will sadly die along with the ubiquitous PC.[/citation]You may not, but some consumers do. Not all consumers use their PCs for nothing more than watching video and playing casual games.
I'm not going to design my deck using Autodesk Inventor on a tablet. I'm not going to manage and edit my videos and photo using anything but a keyboard and mouse and a pair of large high resolution displays.
Also, PC gaming will only die if consumers let it. I'm not going to play a FPS with anything but a keyboard and mouse. Period.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]You may not, but some consumers do. Not all consumers use their PCs for nothing more than watching video and playing casual games. I'm not going to design my deck using Autodesk Inventor on a tablet. [/citation]

Most people won't invest time and money to learn Autodesk Inventor just to design a deck. That's a pro tool.

[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom] I'm not going to manage and edit my videos and photo using anything but a keyboard and mouse and a pair of large high resolution displays. I'm not going to play a FPS with anything but a keyboard and mouse[/citation]

Totally agree;

jdwii

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Best news all day! This POS needs to fad. I don't hate tablets not at all i just hate Itunes and that being the only way to put videos and music on the device. I hope Google pounds on Apple.

g-unit1111

Distinguished
Well yeah - why pay $800 for an iOS tablet when a $400 Android tablet will give you everything you want, and then some like removable SD card storage, full HDMI connectivity, and - most importantly - removable batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.