Analysts: Blu-ray to Overtake Digital Distribution

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ViPr

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
what is with people thumbing me down?! what on earth could possibly be considered bad about what i said? it seems to me that maybe this site needs to revise it's thumbing system.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I've always been saying DD is the future. That said physical media is NOT dead. Give it 5 years or so and it will be. Still I agree with the general consensus that anyone expecting to see huge jumps in sales or acceptance of Blu-Ray this year are dreaming.

Blu-Ray will overtake DD for the short term, but don't expect the lifespan of Blu-Ray to match DVD. Hell I'm upcoverting the few Blu-Ray's on my computer to 1200 through my computer already. I expect higher resolution standards to take hold soon enough and all those Blu-Ray players on the market now won't be capable of supporting those resolutions, even if the media can. Gonna be some very upset people.

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
All this aside, I'm sitting with a 100mbit connection and I'd still pick physical media over digital ANYDAY. If I'd ever want it digitalized, I'd rather do it myself, or get it as an option.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Zoonie[/nom]All this aside, I'm sitting with a 100mbit connection and I'd still pick physical media over digital ANYDAY. If I'd ever want it digitalized, I'd rather do it myself, or get it as an option.[/citation]
+9.9999999999999 e730757346439

I can't express how much a prefer having a physical copy to put up on the shelf, even if I make a digital copy, and never use the physical copy again.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Zoonie[/nom]All this aside, I'm sitting with a 100mbit connection and I'd still pick physical media over digital ANYDAY. If I'd ever want it digitalized, I'd rather do it myself, or get it as an option.[/citation]

You do realize that if it's on a DVD Blu-Ray or CD it is digitized.
It's just the means of storage and nothing more. I think this is what boggles me the most is that people fail to realize that the physical medium is of not important. SSD, HD, Disk....IT'S THE SAME THING!
Disks scratch (I've got kids...believe me, I know).

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]I'm upcoverting the few Blu-Ray's on my computer to 1200 through my computer already. I expect higher resolution standards to take hold soon enough and all those Blu-Ray players on the market now won't be capable of supporting those resolutions, even if the media can.[/citation]
You're upconverting all the way from [1920x]1080 to [1920 or 2133x]1200? Does it make ANY difference or was that a typo?

I'm with everyone here on DD being the new 'popular format' once everyone has high-speed Internet without download limits. In the mean time you have to remember that BluRay is not limited to 720p/1080p video. Today's lab-tests for 4-layer disks will yield 100gb per disk and that's just the beginning. Yes, it means we'll need newer players if the format evolves but it's not physically limited to the 50gb disks we often buy today.

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]You do realize that if it's on a DVD Blu-Ray or CD it is digitized.It's just the means of storage and nothing more. I think this is what boggles me the most is that people fail to realize that the physical medium is of not important. SSD, HD, Disk....IT'S THE SAME THING!Disks scratch (I've got kids...believe me, I know).[/citation]

Clearly when I wrote digitalized I meant digitally distributed or a "digital copy", as in a file that is downloaded, streamed, not sold with associated physical media etc. Being a comment to an article on digital distribution and on a site made (supposedly) for tech gurus I thought that it would need no further explanation. I appologize for being wrong.

And yes, discs do scratch, but HD's do crash. It's easier to put the discs away from the hands of children and avoid that kind of problems. Even if your disc scratches, you might lose an album, a movie or some data. However, when an HD crashes, you better have a good backup otherwise everything on it will be gone.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Unless you are someone that "needs" to have the best video and sound AND you have the equipment to use it, then by all means, spend your money on BluRay. If you are like most people who would just like to watch a movies without the need for the BEST picture and you like to save money then continue to use your DVD or DL service.

I will continue to use the DL service or my DVDs. BluRay is a dead technology

teknomedic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
I have the following point of view...

1) I prefer to own a "real" physical copy of most of my media. So based on this Blu will do well for me. I basically purchase any new movies or TV shows on Blu at this point and only "re-buy" my favorites or if my DVD stops working. Again, I still prefer a physical copy.

2) As for Digital Downloads I think the key here is "streaming"... STREAMING is NOT ready for HD content, BUT... downloading the full copy and then playing it is ready for prime time. I already download a lot of media (that I already own) just for the convenience of it. Like having all my Futurama episodes on a master desktop that I can stream to any computer/TV in my home via my network.

If the companies would get over the "streaming" part of this digital download thing and start allowing the full download to the computer it could see a surge in acceptance.

Netflix is a good example... the quality of the streams sucks. Sure it's good for some and worse for others, but why not start downloading a pre-set number of shows or movies to my computer as soon as they're added to my queue???? That way, when I'm ready to watch something it starts instantly on my PC or through my network... and OMG, P2P might be very helpful in a system like that.

Sure there are some people that would have to wait a day or two to watch a full movie... but that's the price you'd pay to have it at the best quality and not have to worry about it stopping and starting every 10min due to limited bandwidth.

I guess my point is I like both... why I can't I simply buy a physical copy and be given full rights to transfer a copy of the movie to my PC... or in the reverse, if I buy a digital copy... why then can't I order or make a physical copy?

I leave with my own quote...

DRM is just like all the gun laws... it only effects the law abiding citizens... the criminals will always find guns and always defeat DRM. In the mean time, people who don't break the law are disadvantaged by the criminals either having far more guns or an honest person not being able to install "Red Alert 3" for a 6th time... while the pirate can install it as many times as he/she likes. Thereby creating a perfect environment for the honest person to WANT to become a criminal or pirate.

G

teknomedic has left a great quote.I totally agree with that. DRM is a foolish measure that only cripple the uses of something U paid for. So I buy video or music, but I can't hear or see it wherever I want. It's just not fair. Since the industry started freaking out about legal rights, I started collecting all my bill so if some day my CD scratches I can download it again, cause I've paid the right for the music once and I don't wanna pay that again. I support the artists and programmers, I don't steal them, but I don't them to steal me neither.

Thanks god, now there is some people in the industry that are AGAIN HEARING THE CUSTOMERS, and getting rid of DRM. And not trying to tell the customers what to buy, how to buy or how to use what they are trying to sell.

When does the "customer is always right" has been revoked?

Status
Not open for further replies.