Android 2.3 Gingerbread May Arrive Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I bet the Droid X gets shafted on this one. Oh well, by the time Verizon got around to gimping the OS enough to preserve their add-on sales cash cow, I'll be due for an upgrade anyway.

/sarcasm

chesterman

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
i have a motorola milestone in brazil, and froyo will only hit here in Q1 2011. i doubt that motorola will ever launch gingerbread in brazil. i'll just have to find some custom image to install =S

trevorvdw

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
[citation][nom]figgus[/nom]I bet the Droid X gets shafted on this one. Oh well, by the time Verizon got around to gimping the OS enough to preserve their add-on sales cash cow, I'll be due for an upgrade anyway./sarcasm[/citation]

Droid X will get it in 6 months, right around the time 2.4 hits the Nexus.

Djhg2000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
AFAIK Google never said the GUI changes would come with Gingerbread, they said 3.0 (which is now known as Honeycomb).

They also said 3.0 would feature a reworked UI which would require at least 1GHz CPU to run smoothly while keeping the 2.x branch for existing phones.

I smell a fork ;)

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]djhg2000[/nom]AFAIK Google never said the GUI changes would come with Gingerbread, they said 3.0 (which is now known as Honeycomb).They also said 3.0 would feature a reworked UI which would require at least 1GHz CPU to run smoothly while keeping the 2.x branch for existing phones.I smell a fork[/citation]

i truly hope your right !! one way or another im getting honeycomb on my milestone!!

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
Yup honeycomb seems to be the tablet version of droid.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/03/lg-pad-coming-in-early-2011-with-android-honeycomb-dual-core-t/

Lenovo has confirmed it has no plans to release an Android tablet until Honeycomb debuts, which could mean waiting until Summer 2011 before a slate from the company goes on sale.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/03/lg-pad-coming-in-early-2011-with-android-honeycomb-dual-core-t/

Fall is a great season for Gingerbread, the next version of the Android OS, as there's some speculation the upgrade will be out next week, but the buzz is already being eclipsed by hankerings for Honeycomb, which will be the mobile operating system from Google designed specifically for tablets.
http://www.enterprisemobiletoday.com/news/article.php/3907046/Honeycomb-On-Tap-for-Android-Tablets-After-Gingerbread-Update.htm

G

Ummm, my Droid 2 on Verizon already received 2.3, a few days ago even.... I didn't think anything of it at the time. Anyone else get 2.3 on their Droid 2 already?

G

Wait, nvm. I checked my phone. I am on system version 2.3.20. I guess that means I'm ready for Android 2.3 whenever it becomes available.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]jonibrasco[/nom]and they haven't released 2.2 for galaxy s yet...[/citation]

I've got it on o2 in the UK, and it's done nothing but crash my phone all the time.

peterkidd

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I am going to root now. I have the Galaxy S and have been waiting for 2.2 for awhile. Now 2.3 is almost out. I feel like I am getting screwed over by AT&T.

Status
Not open for further replies.