Android 2.4 'Ice Cream' Arriving this Summer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Am waiting for 2.3 on my HTC EVO from Sprint. C'mon Sprint...send us the OTA for 2.3 so we canhave our Gingerbread!

scott_madison1

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]This is one reason why i do not like the Android platform. They are CONSTANTLY adding new features which require more beefy hardware. It would make much more sense to work with system specs in mind that cater to the majority of your user base, instead of only pleasing 30% and pushing the other 70% to upgrade their phone.[/citation]

sounds like apple!

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
[citation][nom]captainnemojr[/nom]J = Jello[/citation]

I was wondering and thinking that too, but don't think they'd go with Jello on the grounds that it's a trademarked name.

Maybe they go British and go with jelly?

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]ahmednewten[/nom]Where are Donkey , Boss and Shrek. I thought they will continue with Shrek movie names.Really I like the way Google naming Android 2.4 ICE CREAM 2.5 will be ????[/citation]

Jellybean

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Hmmm. My Verizon "New Every Two" is slated for May. Usually big Android releases coincide with a new phone release. I wonder if I should push my BlackBerry an extra couple months then?

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Ice Scream, You Scream, We all Scream for Ice Cream!!!

No seriously....I'm still stuck on 2.1...The next phone I get will be a Google phone like the Nexus S because they get all the latest upgrades.

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I managed to talk a very interested co-worker out of buying the Samsung Captivate due to the unresolved GPS issue and lack of timely firmware updates. The only way I will come away from this with a favorable feeling is if they silently skipped Froyo to go right to Gingerbread (since the Nexus S already has it).

Jellybean gets my vote...

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Just root. I'm on 2.3 with the original Droid and this rom has me O/C to 800mhz and undervolted. My battery life has improved drastically. Plus the rom is so clean. No Amazon or Verizon apps that u can't delete. Everything is fully customizable. Nothing is locked down. I played with Captivate and the amount of junk apps they preload and then lock in so you cannot uninstall them is absolutely frustrating. And what's up with the lame Microsoft/Bing apps being default?

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]scott_madison1[/nom]sounds like apple![/citation]

No it sounds like my old Razer... it never changed!!!... lol

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]masterasia[/nom]Ice Scream, You Scream, We all Scream for Ice Cream!!!No seriously....I'm still stuck on 2.1...The next phone I get will be a Google phone like the Nexus S because they get all the latest upgrades.[/citation]
That's just it. Even though 90% of android phones aren't even running 2.3 yet (actually, is anything but the Nexus One running 2.3?) they are planning to release 2.4 Most likely it will just include updates to work with the new features of the Nexus S. Something to perhaps motivate people to purchase a Nexus S over the other just as capable phones: "Hey look, our phone runs 2.4, ain't it cool?".

P.s. The Nexus S has no MicroSD card slot, just remember that.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
All the people complaining here about taking too long to get updates, relay that to your hardware manufacturers please. All the manufacturers, HTC, Moto, Samsung, Sony are running curom UI's and skins on top of Android. These modifications to the pure Android base are what takes them so long to iron out. I've yet to see one which truly brings something better on top of the default Andoird capabilities.

That being said Android is requiring more beef in the machines for these new OS releases, but you should all know that the software is maturing much slower than the hardware at this stage. The smartphone market is one of the places where this is more apparent and this coming year you'll really see that once dual core devices and tegra 2 devices really start rolling.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
@ Niva
While I do agree with you, it is just tough for me to see new phones got outdated as fast (if not faster) as like my CPU and graphic cards.
If was already hard for me to see Apple having "minor" updates on their iPhones every year... now the Android phones are even worse.. it is like major update on the OS every 6 months and major update on the hardware every few months... No matter how cutting edge your new android phone is... it is going to be outdated in few if not couple months...
While I do love seeing the android phones are rapply improved/advanced. With all the 2 year contract, it is just tough to keep up with the speed they are having. (I don't mind the improvement on the CPU and GPU since I do not have multipe year contracts to deal with.)

Status
Not open for further replies.