Android 2.4 'Ice Cream' Arriving this Summer

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nullpointerr

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Feels so unrealistic coming from SonyEricsson who only recently managed to update its Xperia line from Android 1.6 to 2.1 which still has alot of bugs and shortcomings.

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]This is one reason why i do not like the Android platform. They are CONSTANTLY adding new features which require more beefy hardware. It would make much more sense to work with system specs in mind that cater to the majority of your user base, instead of only pleasing 30% and pushing the other 70% to upgrade their phone.[/citation]
I have had every iteration of Android from 1.6 to 2.3 (thanks to Pete's Bugless Beast) on my Droid 1 and have never needed "more beefy" hardware. Where did you get that from?

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]quantum mask[/nom]I have had every iteration of Android from 1.6 to 2.3 (thanks to Pete's Bugless Beast) on my Droid 1 and have never needed "more beefy" hardware. Where did you get that from?[/citation]

The problem is not with Google releasing new features, that is always a great thing. Its with the handset manufacturers being slow, releasing new features in the base OS for extra $$$, and abandoning support for old phones.

This is one reason I am seriously considering a Goolge phone, since it should have the easiest upgrade path. I could root another phone, but I'd still have to contend with a phone a company might easily abandon 6-9 months from its release.

More new features = good for the customer. The only argument that could be made is that new OS with new features makes the handset makers want to abandon old phones in favor of releasing new ones with shiny new features, but really that totally discounts the fact that the actual people acting like total dicks here are the phone makers/Cellular network companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.