Android 4.0 Update Will Arrive Weeks After Galaxy Nexus

Status
Not open for further replies.

tramit

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
"That having been said, it unfortunately remains the case that Android isn’t as swift and responsive as iOS or Windows Phone (or even MeeGo Harmattan on the N9). Or at least it wasn’t on the demo phone we got a look at. The subtle, pervasive lag that has characterized the Android UI since it inception is still there, which is not a heartening thing to hear when you’re talking about a super-powered dual-core device like the Galaxy Nexus."

This caught my eye from one of the reviewers at the event. Even with all that hardware, they still have not solved that problem, I thought integrating more hardware acceleration would have solved that for sure. The waiting game continues.

I'll judge further when my Nexus S gets the update.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]drapacioli[/nom]And that means if you have an AT&T phone you will wait at least 8-10 months before getting any hope of one day getting ICS.[/citation]
And that means if you are in NZ, you will wait at least 14-16 months before getting any hope of one day getting ICS.

nitrium

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
And that means if you are in NZ, you will wait at least 14-16 months before getting any hope of one day getting ICS.
Oh what a load of rubbish! If you have a rooted phone (which is insanely easy, and worthwhile anyway to get rid of preinstalled bloat), you will have ICS in NZ at exactly the same time everyone else gets it. To the minute.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Didn't watch video, but I hope the Android tradition of laggy UI is resolved. That's one of the many things that's kept me away from even considering one.

G

Never had an issue with a laggy UI except with underpowered phones with too many apps running in the background. Downloaded Android 4.0 aka ICS SDK earlier today. The UI on the emulator felt smooth where as all previous version would lag terribly in the emulator (especially 3.0).

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]imlikingics[/nom]Never had an issue with a laggy UI except with underpowered phones with too many apps running in the background. Downloaded Android 4.0 aka ICS SDK earlier today. The UI on the emulator felt smooth where as all previous version would lag terribly in the emulator (especially 3.0).[/citation]

Do you really mean that the emulator is actually useful this time around? Does it take 10 minutes to startup and then to load an app?

G

Too means as well or also. You are a columnist. Use a grammar check, for Pete's sake.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Didn't watch video, but I hope the Android tradition of laggy UI is resolved. That's one of the many things that's kept me away from even considering one.[/citation]
I don't know where you got the idea that Android GUI's are laggy. I have used different HTC devices in the last years. It was slow with some low-cost underpowered phones a year or two ago, but since the Nexus or HTC desire, everything runs at least very correctly and even perfectly smooth when using non-sense Roms or when using a fixed image rather than animated wallpaper.
From my experience, iPhones give sometimes the feeling of being smoother because Apple implemented lots of fancy animations that keep you busy while you wait (screen rotate animation, zoom & fade when switching applications...) but eventually, you'll wait after the applications to respond just like with any other phone.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Didn't watch video, but I hope the Android tradition of laggy UI is resolved. That's one of the many things that's kept me away from even considering one.[/citation]
They have finally implemented hardware acceleration for the UI, so it should be as smooth as ios and wp7.

Max_DTH

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Hopefully Samsung Galaxy Note will be Ice Cream Sandwich smartphone and it was shown at IFA with 2.3.5 only because ICS was to be shown with Galaxy Nexus.
And hopefully I will be able to buy Note before (hypothetical) sale injunction.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
UI lag on which phones? Install Cyanogen if your carrier stuck a ton a crapware on the phone and it runs like garbage. This is no different than a PC being loaded with tons of crapware, don't blame Microsoft that its slow, if you reinstalled windows from disc it would be way faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.