Android Botnet Claims 1 Million Victims in China

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... android is the new windows... because of a closed google code... the linux code, that android is based on, is free to modify and open... if there was one, who wanted to mess linux code, all of the community is striking back and/of perfect the linux code, to not let this happen... but google and nVidia wanna close some parts of the code... so nVidia had the finger from Linus Torvalds, but google's android is the most unsecured mobile OS...

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]ccovemaker[/nom]1) I would rather have the freedom to install what I want on my phone vs Apples walled garden big brother knows best approach.2) China's population is now 1.3 billion. That means .07% of the Chinese people were affected by this. "Oh noes Androidz is broke!!" This is not news. More Zak based Apple propaganda.[/citation]
Another bigoted Zak hater. Missed all the anti Apple articles Zak has written lately?

You also seem to ignore the line in the article where he even points out the lack of awareness on the part of the user, he isn't blaming Android.

The fact is, you are one of these blind fan kiddies who hate any bad news associated with Android and stick your fingers in your ears when you hear of Android malware because so many of the fan kiddies claim it is so secure.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... android is the new windows... because of a closed google code... the linux code, that android is based on, is free to modify and open... if there was one, who wanted to mess linux code, all of the community is striking back and/of perfect the linux code, to not let this happen... but google and nVidia wanna close some parts of the code... so nVidia had the finger from Linus Torvalds, but google's android is the most unsecured mobile OS...[/citation]
I love these idiotic arguments. Your argument would be like "Our defense technology would be more secret if we put it on the internet for all to see".

Android is the new Windows, because like Windows, it is the most popular OS in it's genre and the most popular OS will be the biggest target for malware authors.

There has been, and will be Linux viruses and if Linux was ever to become a seriously popular OS, then the amount of malware for it would go up exponentially.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]contentsmayvary[/nom]/facepalm at all the people thinking these infections came from the Play store. They don't - they come from sideloaded apps - often "free" versions of apps that you have to pay for on the Play store.[/citation]
Except you seem to not realize that China restricts the Play store in that country meaning many have no choice but to sideload apps. This doesn't keep Google from pushing Android hard in that country, so are in effect promoting the sideloading of apps which can cause issues like this.

Also, Google's approach to the Play store is mostly reactionary. There have been a lot more cases of malware on the Play store than the App store because Google doesn't review the app beforehand. For all the people who bash Apple on this policy, one thing can not be denied, and that is they are taking greater steps to protect their user base.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]However, Google still has to walk a fine line between setting the flood gates to "full open" and being a tyrant about selecting which stuff to approve.When the first iPhones came out, a company got screwed over by Apple when Apple's review committee took over three years to approve their preemptively heavily marketed app. By the time the app was available on the market, the new iPhones already included the app's feature.Ouch...[/citation]

Right that's why the App Stores always has the most apps, its because each app take like 3 years to get approved huh? I'm sure that's why there's like a million apps and every developers and company has an app for iOS...

G

People have to stop being a tard, chinesse market is one of the most illegal markets on the world computer wise, they download thousands of side load sites per day, and most of them also share their apps as part of the daily life, on a population of 1.7B people, where you probably have 70m android devices, you think the code goes into google play?

More over on december a study shown that 41% of the total device with android platform supports other frameworks, which can be used to exploit the system.

Seriously, android devices can be as hard as the stupid user who holds it, even so, if they got the code on Google app good for them, they got sometihng i thought may be hard to do.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Right that's why the App Stores always has the most apps, its because each app take like 3 years to get approved huh? I'm sure that's why there's like a million apps and every developers and company has an app for iOS...[/citation]

Nice strawman you have there, wouldn't expect less from a Apple fanboy though.

Status
Not open for further replies.