Android Developers Create Siri Rival "Iris" in 8 Hours

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Except they didn't copy, they purchased. And it's not worse, because it's the best voice control technology on any phone. And it's not technically an extra charge, it's just one of many enhancements made to the new phone.[/citation]
You have failed to explain how Android copied a feature that it had first. Yes, sorry to burst your iBubble, but first. First, if you didn't get it in the last 2 sentences. First by over 2 years. The first Apple product to have voice control is the very first Apple product to have voice control - the first one - for Apple. It's also the best voice control on any Apple product. It may even be better than the first generation Android voice recognition (not that you'd know about the 1st, 2nd or 3rd generations because you don't buy/use Android products - which, by the way, in the current generation are far superior). You've got to be careful with your iBubble. Keep your head down and blinders on. There are technology realities all over the place. (yes - first)

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]You have failed to explain how Android copied a feature that it had first. Yes, sorry to burst your iBubble, but first. First, if you didn't get it in the last 2 sentences. First by over 2 years. The first Apple product to have voice control is the very first Apple product to have voice control - the first one - for Apple. It's also the best voice control on any Apple product. It may even be better than the first generation Android voice recognition (not that you'd know about the 1st, 2nd or 3rd generations because you don't buy/use Android products - which, by the way, in the current generation are far superior). You've got to be careful with your iBubble. Keep your head down and blinders on. There are technology realities all over the place. (yes - first)[/citation]

Wow, what are you talking about? Did you read my comment? I never even discussed whether Android copied anything. In fact, I didn't mention Android full stop?

My point was simply that Apple didn't COPY the technology, which is bad, they PURCHASED the leading company (at the time) which is fine. I also pointed out that it's far far better than any equivalent voice control on Android. It's important to note that Voice Control which has been around for decades (and was not 'first' on Android at all) is not even remotely comparable to Siri, which is effectively a virtual assistant, who can understand you and learn. It can understand questions, do research, the AI can constantly evolve (as it's online), it's an all round advanced technology. Classic voice control like that found in Android is just about speaking commands, it's not the same thing at all. The Siri 'rival' in this article is not even comparable, if you read reviews or analysis on it, it just doesn't work. It doesn't have that core technology which Siri has which lets it understand what is being asked.

You need to be careful with your anti-i-bubble, it may irrationally blind you to the reality.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Wow, what are you talking about? Did you read my comment? I never even discussed whether Android copied anything. In fact, I didn't mention Android full stop?My point was simply that Apple didn't COPY the technology, which is bad, they PURCHASED the leading company (at the time) which is fine. I also pointed out that it's far far better than any equivalent voice control on Android. It's important to note that Voice Control which has been around for decades (and was not 'first' on Android at all) is not even remotely comparable to Siri, which is effectively a virtual assistant, who can understand you and learn. It can understand questions, do research, the AI can constantly evolve (as it's online), it's an all round advanced technology. Classic voice control like that found in Android is just about speaking commands, it's not the same thing at all. The Siri 'rival' in this article is not even comparable, if you read reviews or analysis on it, it just doesn't work. It doesn't have that core technology which Siri has which lets it understand what is being asked.You need to be careful with your anti-i-bubble, it may irrationally blind you to the reality.[/citation]
I'm sorry you are unable to realize you are guzzling Apple marketing cool-aid. A voice response system that sprinkles in smart-ass answers with mixed up attempts at general recognition and interpretation, as though it would help you to walk around with your class clown in an attempt to help your day and organize you life, is just silly. Like so many of the over-hyped features, it produces nothing more than a cocktail party laugh when preaching to the choir, and an incessant annoyance to those trying to concentrate. Without the hype, Apple now has a system that attempts to interpret natural language, getting it wrong over 50% of the time, but mixes in wise cracks to amuse the easy-to-entertain. It's novel, but real productivity is a long way off. I have no problem with Apple and Apple products. I just found a great note taking solution for one of my kids using an iPhone and an Apple wireless keyboard. The keyboard was double the price of non-Apple products, but of high quality and took 10 seconds to set up. That's a quality product. I grow tired of knee-jerk Apple-is-the-solution-to-the-world's-problems fanboys who think every new Apple marketing claim is something you should stop in the street, get on your knees and pay homage to the high heavens to.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]Six to eight hours? If it was really so easy to do, why did they wait for Apple to come out with it first?[/citation]

i think it was the idea
BTW i think voice recognition was present in android and the devs just programmed some replies and stuff

G

Vlingo lol not up to the expectations, rather i would recommend myBantu, its features outsmarts in some cases… Reliable recommendations makes it more apt than Siri…

G

Apple: Siri is a revolution in AI that will forever change the way we use our phones.

Google: Oh cool, lemme try... (8 hours later) Hey mom look, no hands!

Does anyone need to be reminded that Apple overblows every small feat, they even make new products from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.