Android Developers Create Siri Rival "Iris" in 8 Hours

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wardler

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]Chris Hennick[/nom]"Smartphone users should talk to people, not to their devices." That attitude is dated on so many levels. From what I've seen of who is and isn't into high tech, smartphone users are probably less social on average than feature-phone users, and to say we "should" be otherwise makes him sound like one of our elementary-school teachers. And that was before our phones came close to passing the Turing test.[/citation]

Actions speak louder than words.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]Android to Apple:I know what your thinking[/citation]
Yes. It is true voice recognition would make a stupid elementary school-level mistake like using the word, "your" (belonging to or associated with) in place of the contraction "you're" (you are). This is the funny thing about automated recognition, until it get more sophisticated.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
"Will it rain?" I asked. I planned to go stretch my legs after having my little conversation. She promptly told me that a typhoon was coming. Oh yea? And where exactly is this typhoon given that I'm on the east coast?

"On the earth, duh," she responded in her flat-but-edgy electronic voice. Smartass.

For real? They had the chance to make a natural language engine that could help people and they programmed it to be a jerk? This is like having a conversation with a 14 year old. The correct answer to "will it rain" is [gps search] > [weather forecast] > [report percent precipitation prediction for next 24 hours]... Not "of course it will rain eventually, idiot". Come on.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]rahillio[/nom]Iris is bad.It is just an unsuccessful copy of siri.Siri is very good app.I asked from iris that Do I need an umbrella today?Iris answered,yes you need without any proof and same question with Siri,Siri answered that It doen't looks that you needs an umbrella and showed weather report also and siri was right while iris was wrong.I also asked iris that how many restaurants are there in North Beach and it answered that many are there but when asked same question to sisi,it replied that there are 25 Italian Restaurants are there in North Beach with their names.....SO,SIRI IS BEST AND IRIS IS NOTHING MORE THAN JUST A BAD&UNSUCCESSFUL EXPERIMENT![/citation]
Yeah. iri it bad. if jus copper of Appel. Appel it bester best. I ask iPon is Appul bester ? it sed Androd smell at poo poo in garbijj. I haha. i ask iSri beach resterant it say appel best, eat liken Stevie Job. SO APPEL BETER BEST IROS BADDER POO NOTHING.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]return[/nom]This whole imitation things kill innovations... Really Im not an Apple fanboy or so butEven the name iris is reverse of siri.[/citation]

how would a name be considered something innovative?

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]All Android has to do is copy Apple's innovation and make it better to succeed.[/citation]

yea just like apple copied most of the features android already had and put them onto IOS5

FAIL

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Leo Lapporte was talking about Siri the other day, and mentioned how both Google and Facebook and an inherent advantage with their already collected data from us, that Apple (not being a software company per se, let alone a search engine/social network data collection company) being a hardware company, would ultimately fall behind with in the 'talk to your computer' wars that will be coming soon...

Still, none of these devices work well in non-ideal conditions where there is ambient noise...

G

It'll never work anyways. It'll just Force Close all the time just like other Android apps :p Android sucks!

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Fulkrum[/nom]It'll never work anyways. It'll just Force Close all the time just like other Android apps Android sucks![/citation]
Better than exploding all the time like all iPhones do. (this is just as true)

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]GalacticAvenger[/nom]I installed Iris on my Galaxy S2. If Siri functionality is this poor, I don't know what all the fuss is about.[/citation]

Sounds like typical Android implementation. Copy poorly....! :)

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]tmshdw[/nom]Sounds like typical Android implementation. Copy poorly....! :)[/citation]
Or worse, a typical iOS implementation. Copy poorly and overcharge for it....! :)

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]Yeah. iri it bad. if jus copper of Appel. Appel it bester best. I ask iPon is Appul bester ? it sed Androd smell at poo poo in garbijj. I haha. i ask iSri beach resterant it say appel best, eat liken Stevie Job. SO APPEL BETER BEST IROS BADDER POO NOTHING.[/citation]

OK Now that.... was funny I don't care who you are.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]Or worse, a typical iOS implementation. Copy poorly and overcharge for it....! :)[/citation]

Except they didn't copy, they purchased. And it's not worse, because it's the best voice control technology on any phone. And it's not technically an extra charge, it's just one of many enhancements made to the new phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.