Android Developers Create Siri Rival "Iris" in 8 Hours

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

limpman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
are you guys kidding me android already have same kind of aps from long time ago before siri's birth...go to android market and serch voice actoins....

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]damn you, now my craving for a slushy has returned, and the only way to quench it within driving distance is a theater,[/citation]

Now I want one...

G

"Smartphone users should talk to people, not to their devices." That attitude is dated on so many levels. From what I've seen of who is and isn't into high tech, smartphone users are probably less social on average than feature-phone users, and to say we "should" be otherwise makes him sound like one of our elementary-school teachers. And that was before our phones came close to passing the Turing test.

G

Siri , fwiw, is technology from SRI (Stanford Research Institute).

Get it. SiRI

G

I honestly don't know why we have such praise for theft. If it were a book, it would be plagiarism. If it were patented it would be, oh wait it is. Can we just start locking these jackasses up? I am sure financial penalties will amount to nothing.

Why would anyone do anything innovative with such knockoff artists? Anyway, the art is to do something innovative, with quality. I doubt Iris accomplishes either.

G

I installed Iris on my Galaxy S2. If Siri functionality is this poor, I don't know what all the fuss is about.

brothermist

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
iris is a complete sarcastic a$$hole... I love it. Not going to DL, but its still fantastic humor. I was lmfao through the ending of that clip.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]jryan388[/nom]It's not 8 hours, people! First of all, this an alpha product. Not even close to ready for deployment. Second of all, did you not read the part about them working on the NLP and machine learning for over a year?[/citation]

I do believe what they are saying is it took 8 hours to write the code to make it work on Android.

lockhrt999

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I though android developer folks didn't like talking to cell phones. They said phone ise to communicate with people and not with the phone itself. What happened to that?

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]geoff12345[/nom]Six to eight hours? If it was really so easy to do, why did they wait for Apple to come out with it first?[/citation]
Apple didn't come out with it, they bought the company that did, and they just got the idea for it from APple and figured they could do the same in less time, and well they did.

G

And Hitler was a great painter. He could paint an entire apartment in one afternoon! Two coats!

G

Iris is bad.
It is just an unsuccessful copy of siri.
Siri is very good app.
I asked from iris that Do I need an umbrella today?Iris answered,yes you need without any proof and same question with Siri,Siri answered that It doen't looks that you needs an umbrella and showed weather report also and siri was right while iris was wrong.
I also asked iris that how many restaurants are there in North Beach and it answered that many are there but when asked same question to sisi,it replied that there are 25 Italian Restaurants are there in North Beach with their names.....
SO,SIRI IS BEST AND IRIS IS NOTHING MORE THAN JUST A BAD&UNSUCCESSFUL EXPERIMENT!

Status
Not open for further replies.