Android Expected to Dominate Smartphones Long Term

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I'm not sure what it is about Android, maybe the overly wide distribution on such a variety of hardware, slow roll-outs, incompatibilities, etc. but I just can't get on board that it's going to take over. I think Apple/iOS has gained about as much ground as it ever will, but I honestly foresee Windows taking over the mobile market. If they can really drive Office support and make compatibility with your laptop/desktop a breeze, they will decimate the competition.

G

I like Android but don't get me wrong. I'm pretty sure there was a time where I thought RIM/Blackberry would dominate the market so I guess only time will tell.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]I'm not sure what it is about Android, maybe the overly wide distribution on such a variety of hardware, slow roll-outs, incompatibilities, etc. but I just can't get on board that it's going to take over. I think Apple/iOS has gained about as much ground as it ever will, but I honestly foresee Windows taking over the mobile market. If they can really drive Office support and make compatibility with your laptop/desktop a breeze, they will decimate the competition.[/citation]
I think windows phone should dominate, it's excellent

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I own two android devices, one phone and one tablet. I sure hope something better comes along. Android isn't polished and feels incomplete. Developing is horrid for Android. Just look at how many games you see where 75 of the people complain in wont run on their android device, dome new, some old.

stingray71

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
I've got two Android devices as well. Bionic (2.3) and a Xoom (4.0 ICS). Gingerbread certainly feels rough around the ages, but it works and is solid. ICS brings Android very close to the polish feel of IOS.

Andorid 5 is due out this fall which I'm sure will be even more polished.

I use Google Calander/Contacts/Mail and Google Tasks quite a bit for work, all of which integrate nicely with Andorid. I don't see myself using W8 or IOS in the near future.

Sticking with Android for the time being.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Yeah iOS is pretty much getting saturated. Apple ignored the developing world until now, so Android's got most of those markets. In Europe and America i guess whoever wanted to get a iDevice has got one. Plus i doubt anyone's ever going to use all their iPhones together even if they get one every year. It'll still be one active device.

Same is true for other devices, but then there are more people that don't have iOS stuff than ones that do.

Windows 8 should be pretty cool for mobile devices, and Intel's stepping up its game, so i see a lot of potential in that combo. MS will allow native code apps, so that should allow the gaming market to flourish. Plus MS has its all time secret ingredient, DirectX. I 'm not sure, but i think that'll allow game designers to ignore the graphics side of hardware, i.e. similar to what happens in the PC gaming market.

i put Android's time closer to 3 years, unless Win 8 devices are all more than $300, in which case it's hard to say what'll happen. After all, Android's strength is that it's accessible to almost everyone, in terms of cost.

The WP7 road pretty much ends after Win 8 releases, unless WP7 devices move into the lower-end segment (and assuming that $300 is the threshold for Win8 devices).

/speculation :D

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Of course Android will remain the leader. People just want the cheaper phones, and its the Android phones that go from dirt cheap to high-end. When you can get this "Android thing" that you've been hearing about, and it's $0 on contract, of course the regular consumers would jump onto it without knowing what it really is.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]stingray71[/nom]I've got two Android devices as well. Bionic (2.3) and a Xoom (4.0 ICS). Gingerbread certainly feels rough around the ages, but it works and is solid. ICS brings Android very close to the polish feel of IOS. Andorid 5 is due out this fall which I'm sure will be even more polished. I use Google Calander/Contacts/Mail and Google Tasks quite a bit for work, all of which integrate nicely with Andorid. I don't see myself using W8 or IOS in the near future. Sticking with Android for the time being.[/citation]

I have to agree with you. Gingerbread vs IOS = No Contest, IOS owns it. ICS however is really close to the polish level of IOS and I very much enjoy the Cyanogenmod 9 build I have on my HP Touchpad even in it's Alpha state. I will definitely be on the lookout for the next version. Android seems to be improving a good bit with each version.

Honestly, I like options. I really would like to see IOS, Android and Windows Phone put their own but equal in terms of quality spin on mobile devices. Hell I would really like to see RIM do something special with BBOS 10. They have a camera function that they demo'd that look like an absolutely nuts! As a person that loves technology that would be great.

Of course the holy grail for me at least would be standards for App development that allows for cross platform compatibility. Wishful thinking I know but I have a large investment in Enterprise and productivity apps on IOS that I can not use on any other device and a decent investment in Family apps on Android that I can not use anywhere else so it kinda locks you in from a usage perspective.

One more thing I wish for Windows 8 and Android is freaken TABLET SPECIFIC APPLICATIONS!!!. Not super sized phone apps. That is complete BS! Apple has done a good job promoting that but it is terrible in Android land.

G

Not mentioned in article: Demographics break down for Android and sales numbers of individual handsets!

This would show that 90% of all Android users only picked it because it was a "free smart phone", and it was the only "smart phone" that Boost Mobile / Clear / Cricket offered; the other 10% were suckers who were duped into a purchase because the iPhone was all sold out.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Of course Android will remain the leader. People just want the cheaper phones, and its the Android phones that go from dirt cheap to high-end. When you can get this "Android thing" that you've been hearing about, and it's $0 on contract, of course the regular consumers would jump onto it without knowing what it really is.[/citation]

plus you can get some android phones on pre paid plans too

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Of course Android will remain the leader. People just want the cheaper phones, and its the Android phones that go from dirt cheap to high-end. When you can get this "Android thing" that you've been hearing about, and it's $0 on contract, of course the regular consumers would jump onto it without knowing what it really is.[/citation]
You can also get a iPhone with 0$ on contract.

santeana

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2003
[citation][nom]GOD_OF_SMART_PHONES[/nom]Not mentioned in article: Demographics break down for Android and sales numbers of individual handsets! This would show that 90% of all Android users only picked it because it was a "free smart phone", and it was the only "smart phone" that Boost Mobile / Clear / Cricket offered; the other 10% were suckers who were duped into a purchase because the iPhone was all sold out.[/citation]
...Said the iTard with his iBone for his iPhone.

G

Its amazing how many people are all over Android's jock. I'll stick with my WP7. Android was cool until it took an arrow to the knee. Plus it can't play Crysis....

leakingpaint

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
Whoop! Whoop! Go Android! As long as the Google giant remains friendly I'm an Android fan...Apple is unfriendly when I want to replace the battery or move my music library from iTunes to winamp :(

john_e

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
“While Apple has defined the smartphone market since it introduced the iPhone in 2007"?

Why is Apple being credited for having defined the Smartphone? I was under the assumption that the first true smartphones were from Palm Treo, later followed by Blackberry.

That being said my contract has expired, and I never once looked or ever wanted an Apple product, find them overrated and not getting your money's worth when compared to other smartphones hardware. On the OS side of things yes Apple are good.

I'm on the market for a new phone and was about to get the Galaxy Nexus ICS, when word came out that Windows was coming out with the Lumia 900. Having played with it at the store, I really liked it compared to the Nexus.

However I will keep on waiting until I see what Blackberry comes out with smartphones. The BB10 Os from i read seems to be great and also seems you can add some of these Android apps on them.

The Playbook 2 has been getting some good reviews. I had seen 2 BlackBerry concept designs the 1st blackberry London 2nd Blackberry Blade. If that whats to come out of Blackberry then its worth the wait. can be seen below link.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/rim-unveils-blackberry-10-smartphone-prototype/254023-11.html

To be honest I'm a 52 yr and I'm not into games or all these apps I keep hearing about. I've owned 2 blackberries and for me they are great to use with office applications on them, and send through secure servers.

I've come down to 2 choice for me and it will be either a Blackberry 10 or a WP7or WP8 phone.

Just wish BlackBerry can gets its act together and set a date for its new BB10 releases

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]I'm not sure what it is about Android, maybe the overly wide distribution on such a variety of hardware, slow roll-outs, incompatibilities, etc. but I just can't get on board that it's going to take over. I think Apple/iOS has gained about as much ground as it ever will, but I honestly foresee Windows taking over the mobile market. If they can really drive Office support and make compatibility with your laptop/desktop a breeze, they will decimate the competition.[/citation]
Its already taken over ... Samsung sells about as many android phones as apple sell iphones

Status
Not open for further replies.