Android Flaws Allow Secret Malware Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I'm all for fixing security flaws, but releasing your proof-of-concept app as an Angry Birds expansion? Yeah, that's liable to get your ass sued, both by the Angry Birds publishers and anyone who downloaded your app. Way to go there.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]I'm all for fixing security flaws, but releasing your proof-of-concept app as an Angry Birds expansion? Yeah, that's liable to get your ass sued, both by the Angry Birds publishers and anyone who downloaded your app. Way to go there.[/citation]

You're probably right, but it'd be sad if they'd get sued for that. After all, revealing security weaknesses without exploiting them yourself is a good thing, no matter the way you revealed them.

eaw2539

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Just more proof that Android is not as great as all you Droid fanboys think. You're all just as bad as Apple fanboys nowadays.

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
[citation][nom]gorillateets[/nom]I'm sick of hearing about Angry birds, What the ef is it anyways??[/citation]
it is an addictive minigame where you launch birds to get points.
[citation][nom]eaw2539[/nom]Just more proof that Android is not as great as all you Droid fanboys think. You're all just as bad as Apple fanboys nowadays.[/citation]
And you are....?

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]headscratcher[/nom]At least Google is ardent about keeping people from secretly stealing your personal information... people besides Google that is.[/citation]
but how can you grant that info is not secretly sold to the government?

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
[citation][nom]eaw2539[/nom]Just more proof that Android is not as great as all you Droid fanboys think. You're all just as bad as Apple fanboys nowadays.[/citation]

Agreed. Fanboys are fanboys, no matter who they're wanking for. Truth hurts.

G

newsflash: android is a giant, leaky, piece of shit OS that can't even beat iPhone 4 with better hardware. if you all are techy nerds, then you would want the best tech product: iphone. other than that, you're just buying because you're a fanboy/anti-fanboy

peanut_bully

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010

Yes, because everybody knows that only Droid phones run Android and hence are the only ones affected by this bug.

[citation][nom]Groov[/nom]newsflash: android is a giant, leaky, piece of shit OS that can't even beat iPhone 4 with better hardware. if you all are techy nerds, then you would want the best tech product: iphone. other than that, you're just buying because you're a fanboy/anti-fanboy[/citation]

Yes, because I like paying $65 a month on contract for the iPhone, the exact same contract on which I can get a Droid 2 for $40pm. (I'm using converted units here, these are ZAR contracts)

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Groov[/nom]newsflash: android is a giant, leaky, piece of shit OS that can't even beat iPhone 4 with better hardware. if you all are techy nerds, then you would want the best tech product: iphone. other than that, you're just buying because you're a fanboy/anti-fanboy[/citation]
iOS 4.x is easier to hack than any other mobile OS. This has absolutely nothing to do with AT&T's network and never has. Apple just tries to hide this fact by severely limiting what apps can be sold through their app store. Of course, people like you will believe anything that Steve Jobs says, even though most of it isn't true. Maybe you should get your head out of your ass.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]iOS 4.x is easier to hack than any other mobile OS. This has absolutely nothing to do with AT&T's network and never has. Apple just tries to hide this fact by severely limiting what apps can be sold through their app store. Of course, people like you will believe anything that Steve Jobs says, even though most of it isn't true. Maybe you should get your head out of your ass.[/citation]

Could you qualify that statement? How is IOS's easier to hack than any other OS. Care to explain? Your statement contradicts itself a bit by saying that "Apple try's to hide the fact by severely limiting the apps". If that is the case, how do you know?

What do the Apps have to do with the security of the OS itself? You install a malicious app, then you will have malicious code executed. No brainier to me. This is the reason why their approval process makes sense although it could loosen up a little. From a security perspective make allot of sense. You don't hear about IOS devices getting rooted.

Funny thing is, in the hacking world, rooting any device is considered owning the device. Typically without blowing the system away the root kit can't be removed very easily. Dropping a root kit allows you almost full access to the device. The only reason why allot of people here seem to think it is not a security flaw in Android is because it gives them access to customize and have full reign over the OS easily. What is really means though is that the Andriod OS security is virtually non-existent.

Groov's statement was a bit colorful and I do not necessarily agree with him but there are parts of it that is true.

There is a reasons why the Android devices have not taken off in the enterprise and it is related to security. This is FACT. Blackberry's are still prevalent and IPhone has been gaining lots of momentum in the enterprise. Windows Mobile device where in there but everyone stopped buying those things years ago. We will see what happens with WM7 but right now. BB and IP

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

Hi Steve, welcome to Toms Hardware!

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

Hi Steve (account number 2), welcome to Toms Hardware!

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
all programs have secutiry flaws, heck throw firesheep up in a publis place andsee what everybody using the wifi (on an iphone or a droid.. or a laptop for that matter) is looking at... there's fanboy sin every area... just ignore thier comments and move on. as far as the article at least they fgound the exploit and have shown it so it can be patched making android mroe secure... me i'll stay with my obscure WebOS palm pre .. most people won't bother making malware for us because there are so few of us :D

Status
Not open for further replies.