Android Smartphones Prone to New Spam Virus

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

santeana

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2003
I've been sideloading apps for 3 years now and have not one single virus on 3 phones. Yet my GF who uses the play store to get her "free" games is constantly bombarded by air-push adds that I routinely have to remove.
It's funny how it's always these security firms that put out these warnings. 'Here! Buy our product so you're protected!' Bolshevik I say

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]To be honest, I simply don't rely on any articles from Zak Islam for anything more than entertainment/trolling value.[/citation]That's a perfectly valid point of view and I'm glad that works for you. I've said this before... I don't hate him. Hate is a strong emotion. However, I am also entitled to an opinion, and I find that his "entertaining" articles are annoying at times. Thus I also find the author annoying, via a far-fetched and convoluted process in which the author is mysteriously linked to the articles he writes. It's really esoteric stuff, I don't expect anyone who values only their own opinion to understand (not necessarily including you in that, Halcyon).

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]santeana[/nom]I've been sideloading apps for 3 years now and have not one single virus on 3 phones.[/citation]Well obviously the act of sideloading doesn't mean you're automatically infected with a virus. It depends on the source you used, and how careful you are in general. That doesn't mean the Play store isn't vulnerable to certain abuses. Still, I wouldn't go so far as to say that security software for mobile devices is useless. It might have helped your girlfriend out by picking up on malicious behavior by the apps, regardless of their source.

Of course, a very clever virus won't be noticeable at all, and the one mentioned in the article does a pretty good job of hiding itself.

applerocks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Ninjamonkeh[/nom]I dont know if anyone at toms cares but I am 3 more zak anti-android or pro-apple articles away from removing toms from my toolbars and bookmarks. At first it was mildly amusing to see how often he was wrong , its becoming more and more apparent these are either paid apple adverts or writings of a deranged fanboy. I don't care if you believe it or not, just know you are very close to losing 1 reader. Most of the articles are very misleading , or out right wrong.[/citation]

HURRY CAN WE GET THREE MORE ARTICLES WRITTEN TONIGHT?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.