Android Surpasses Symbian as Most Attacked Mobile Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]K2N hater[/nom]Seems like this one is aponsored by Apple.[/citation]

Seems like this comment is 'aponsored' by Android.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Seems like this comment is 'aponsored' by Android.[/citation]

Seems like this comment is 'aponsored' by a spell checker.

Anyway ending this 3-way, if you are careful when downloading applications and check the permissions then you should be safe. It's not hard to know if something is a virus, check the comments, downloads, ratings etc..

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
so is the attacks from the symbian and android market, or attacks from out side the secure market place ? like self downloaded apps?
cuss if its from outside, the statistick from the jail breaked iphones are the only intresting statisticks seens apple lock you down in chains to the floor. a jailbreaked iphone is the only way to get the freedom of symbian and android gives you. and freedom gives risks.

CKKwan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I like Android, but I wish google can do something, the store is full of crap. Otherwise my next device will not be andriod anymore.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]elcentral[/nom]a jailbreaked iphone is the only way to get the freedom of symbian and android gives you[/citation]

[citation][nom]elcentral[/nom]apple lock you down in chains to the floor[/citation]

The freedom Android gives you which enables you to do, what, exactly? Locked down in chains to the floor? So which practical activity can't you do on iOS, exactly?

[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Seems like this comment is 'aponsored' by a spell checker.[/citation]

The spelling was a secondary observation.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
So which practical activity can't you do on iOS, exactly?

How about surfing the hundreds of thousands of websites that use Java and Flash content? Or have you forgotten that the iCrap prison does not allow Java or Flash to run. How about breaking loose from the handyourwalletorelse model that Apple employs? Get serious.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I like the freedom of downloading apps from wherever I want. You pay a price for that freedom and it is something iCrap does not want you to have. So yes, I believe that an Android phone is more risky that some locked-down drm infested jail like the iPhone.

applerocks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]How about surfing the hundreds of thousands of websites that use Java and Flash content? Or have you forgotten that the iCrap prison does not allow Java or Flash to run. How about breaking loose from the handyourwalletorelse model that Apple employs? Get serious.[/citation]

Adobe killed moble flash, and there are so many issues with it on moble devices that had it it never worked right anyway.... Guess you just like beating dead horses.

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
With the article about Steve Jobs vowing to destroy android in eternal hellfire. I would be surprised if apple isnt behind some of these.

lazygordon

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]I like the freedom of downloading apps from wherever I want. You pay a price for that freedom and it is something iCrap does not want you to have. So yes, I believe that an Android phone is more risky that some locked-down drm infested jail like the iPhone.[/citation]

What is the DRM on an iPhone exactly?

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
This study was of course done by the security firm F-secure that wants to sell you their security solutions on android.

The number of threats are extremely small compared to PC, 116 is nothing when we know that people are able to install outside of the android market. And there were no viruses or worms!

john15v16

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Adobe killed moble flash, and there are so many issues with it on moble devices that had it it never worked right anyway.... Guess you just like beating dead horses.

Mobile flash works excellent on my nexus-s. I enjoy my android browsing experience. Adobe didn't "kill" flash, they just moved away from the "adobe player" model to the "adobe air" model for product delivery.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]How about surfing the hundreds of thousands of websites that use Java and Flash content? Or have you forgotten that the iCrap prison does not allow Java or Flash to run. How about breaking loose from the handyourwalletorelse model that Apple employs? Get serious.[/citation]

You are free to install one of many apps which lets you use flash on your iPhone.

'breaking loose from the handyourwalletorelse model' doesn't mean anything at all.

So I repeat, what exactly have you gained by the 'freedom' of Android?

[citation][nom]del35[/nom]I like the freedom of downloading apps from wherever I want. You pay a price for that freedom and it is something iCrap does not want you to have. So yes, I believe that an Android phone is more risky that some locked-down drm infested jail like the iPhone.[/citation]

That same 'freedom' comes at a price of a complete lack of security. If you wanted such a complete lack of security on an iPhone, you would just jailbreak it. Most elect not to because there's no practical gain.

And of course, as you keep being told, iPhone has no DRM.

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Well, fortunately the system for updating Android devices is very simple and comprehensive so that virtually everyone can be quickly protected for security threats as they arise.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

Good ole del35, never fails to put out the same ole nonsense. I am beginning to wonder if he even types this stuff in now or if he just has a notepad with this stuff that he can copy and paste into his posts.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]K2N hater[/nom]Seems like this one is sponsored by Apple.[/citation]

Indeed it would seem so, even the order of the competition is ordered by the lest to max threat for crapples products. Plain as eye to see!

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
WOW, this is the most worthless article. First of all, Android sells the most phones, so by not doing percentage totals, this article has no leg to stand on. For example, I dont know the exact numbers; You cant say Android sold 1 million phones last year and had 100 malware attacks and Windows sold 250,000 phones last year with only 50 malware attacks, so this means Windows phones are safer and better protected because they have had less attacks. In reality it means Windows phones are more susceptible to malware attacks. It is called simple Math. That is why this article is garbage. If someone is going to send malware to try and get credit card information, etc. Of course they are going to go after the the number one selling platform, because there is more gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.