Android Surpasses Symbian as Most Attacked Mobile Platform

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Agreed, Subaru. One can view almost all sponsored statistics, graphs, and data as entirely suspect all across the board, in any field.

One can also substitute "Mobile Platform" for "Data-Mining Device" and be relatively fair in doing so. The Apple devices are not remotely more secure than the Android ones, as we all know. Any such bias or branding loyalty is simply egomania. The adrenaline-addiction of our society to "being right" or "being cool".

There's nothing remotely smart about "smart phones".

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]subaru41[/nom]WOW, this is the most worthless article. First of all, Android sells the most phones, so by not doing percentage totals, this article has no leg to stand on. For example, I dont know the exact numbers; You cant say Android sold 1 million phones last year and had 100 malware attacks and Windows sold 250,000 phones last year with only 50 malware attacks, so this means Windows phones are safer and better protected because they have had less attacks. In reality it means Windows phones are more susceptible to malware attacks. It is called simple Math. That is why this article is garbage. If someone is going to send malware to try and get credit card information, etc. Of course they are going to go after the the number one selling platform, because there is more gain.[/citation]

Sorry but your maths is incorrect.

This article is about Malware threats, not 'attacks'. Thus, in your scenario, every Android user would be susceptible to 100 threats, and every Windows phone user would be susceptible to 50.

You are right that some of this is probably because Android is a high selling platform - but then iOS is pretty much 50/50 with Android in some locations, and their users are better paid (on average) and has the most active app store with the highest profits. iOS has also been the biggest platform over the past few years, so in theory iOS would be a very big target too - yet it faces the fewest threats (according to this article). This proves that Android isn't just facing the most threats because of its popularity. The bottom line is that if this article is true, it is a strong confirmation that what people criticise as a 'closed' system in iOS actually benefits from far greater security.

[citation][nom]lordstormdragon[/nom]The Apple devices are not remotely more secure than the Android ones, as we all know. Any such bias or branding loyalty is simply egomania. The adrenaline-addiction of our society to "being right" or "being cool".[/citation]

I would say it's fairly common knowledge that iOS is more secure than Android, many industry expert have confirmed this.

What you mistake for 'brand loyalty' and 'egomania' is simply people who are educated in the industry and make logical decisions based on it. Some of which has to do with brand, and perfectly logically so. Whichever side of the iOS v Android debate you sit on - most people sit on their respective side because of logical reasons why it's beneficial for them. You get a few in both camps who choose their phone to try and be 'cool' or to 'not try to be cool' - but the educated amongst us apply logic.

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
@watcha: The educated among us don't use these devices. Let us know when you "graduate" Third Grade, son. I do not sit on either side of this non-debate, because I am not foolish enough to waste my time and energy on a device that I don't need mining my data, information, images, conversations, energy, and time. I have a Samsung Intensity 2 that - guess what? - has zero infestations whatsoever and is impervious to malware, viruses, and even physical tracking.

That's education and logic, "in the industry".

anonymous32111

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Sorry but your maths is incorrect.This article is about Malware threats, not 'attacks'. Thus, in your scenario, every Android user would be susceptible to 100 threats, and every Windows phone user would be susceptible to 50.You are right that some of this is probably because Android is a high selling platform - but then iOS is pretty much 50/50 with Android in some locations, and their users are better paid (on average) and has the most active app store with the highest profits. iOS has also been the biggest platform over the past few years, so in theory iOS would be a very big target too - yet it faces the fewest threats (according to this article). This proves that Android isn't just facing the most threats because of its popularity. The bottom line is that if this article is true, it is a strong confirmation that what people criticise as a 'closed' system in iOS actually benefits from far greater security.I would say it's fairly common knowledge that iOS is more secure than Android, many industry expert have confirmed this.What you mistake for 'brand loyalty' and 'egomania' is simply people who are educated in the industry and make logical decisions based on it. Some of which has to do with brand, and perfectly logically so. Whichever side of the iOS v Android debate you sit on - most people sit on their respective side because of logical reasons why it's beneficial for them. You get a few in both camps who choose their phone to try and be 'cool' or to 'not try to be cool' - but the educated amongst us apply logic.[/citation]

Dude shut the hell up, nobody cares that you have a hard-on for Apple products.

I could care less if you use Android or Apple, just don't make a bunch of annoying posts in the comment section.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]lordstormdragon[/nom]@watcha: The educated among us don't use these devices. Let us know when you "graduate" Third Grade, son. I do not sit on either side of this non-debate, because I am not foolish enough to waste my time and energy on a device that I don't need mining my data, information, images, conversations, energy, and time. I have a Samsung Intensity 2 that - guess what? - has zero infestations whatsoever and is impervious to malware, viruses, and even physical tracking.That's education and logic, "in the industry".[/citation]

Some of us, however, are educated enough not to be so naive and narcissistic to believe that any company has people monitoring what we do, and to not really care about them 'tracking' our anonymous information given that someone watching us in the street can learn far more about us every day if they so wished. We also realise that whether you use the internet (for example) on a PC or a Smartphone it can be tracked in exactly the same way.

I wonder if you avoid searching for anything on Google for the same reason, because they track it too? Of course, Google are tracking your every move on this website too (via Analytics) so it's already too late!!

And by the way - your phone calls, messages, social networking and physical location can be tracked on your Samsung Intensity 2 - so beware, they are out to get you!!! And don't think that just because a phone isn't a smartphone that it is secure. Phones were hacked with vulnerabilities (and trackable, by the way) way before smartphones came out.

LOL!

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]anonymous32111[/nom]Dude shut the hell up, nobody cares that you have a hard-on for Apple products. I could care less if you use Android or Apple, just don't make a bunch of annoying posts in the comment section.[/citation]

The phrase is couldn't care less, and I didn't voice any preference - I simply stated well known facts and mathematical logic.

It really looks like you don't care though.

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
@Watcha: Wrong again, kiddo. Google Analytics are off on all my browsers and have been since day one. Peerblock, NoScript, AdBlock, and other tools nullify all such tracking on that end as well. You've just been owned for so long by Apple and idiocy that you're unaware of the solutions to security and privacy, and also oblivious (apparently) that you even have the option to not be owned. You of course do NOT have the option, because you're an Apple fanatic.

It's not about narcissism. My ego is not inflated by my security mechanisms. Google me yourself if you want - you'll see what I am that you are not, very quickly. The level of technology you believe you are "in the know" about is entirely dwarfed by my every-day workload, son. I operate the most complex creation humanity has ever achieved every single day (Maya), and you simply use a phone to look cool to the ladies as a replacement for having any actual romantic value or desirability. Take your mind back to the savannahs - you're beating on your chest, but are still too afraid to come down from the trees.

And no, my "dumb phone" has no social networking, physical location sensors, or any such idiocy going on. It doesn't have web access at all. It's a construction phone - durable, simple, featureless, and made to get work done, not be shiny and retarded and make a social statement about my financial prowess.

The law could of course track my phone - but Google and Apple are not the law, and my business is fully legitimate so the cops and feds have no reason at all to access my voice or text records.

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Sorry but your maths is incorrect.This article is about Malware threats, not 'attacks'. Thus, in your scenario, every Android user would be susceptible to 100 threats, and every Windows phone user would be susceptible to 50.You are right that some of this is probably because Android is a high selling platform - but then iOS is pretty much 50/50 with Android in some locations, and their users are better paid (on average) and has the most active app store with the highest profits. iOS has also been the biggest platform over the past few years, so in theory iOS would be a very big target too - yet it faces the fewest threats (according to this article). This proves that Android isn't just facing the most threats because of its popularity. The bottom line is that if this article is true, it is a strong confirmation that what people criticise as a 'closed' system in iOS actually benefits from far greater security.I would say it's fairly common knowledge that iOS is more secure than Android, many industry expert have confirmed this.What you mistake for 'brand loyalty' and 'egomania' is simply people who are educated in the industry and make logical decisions based on it. Some of which has to do with brand, and perfectly logically so. Whichever side of the iOS v Android debate you sit on - most people sit on their respective side because of logical reasons why it's beneficial for them. You get a few in both camps who choose their phone to try and be 'cool' or to 'not try to be cool' - but the educated amongst us apply logic.[/citation]

Wow, you say my math is wrong. LOL
If you cant do simple Math, than you shouldn't open your mouth.
Android 100/1,000,000 = 0.0001 percent
Windows 50/250,000 = 0.0002 percent

If the article was by percentage than you would know which platform is more susceptible to Malware attacks. The more open sourced a platform is, the more chances of Malware threats. I love windows phones for the fact I can run dual OS Windows Mango and Android. Do you think I care about having my phone completely locked down and having a 3.5 inch screen to be maybe safer? No I want freedom and choice, not a communist phone.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]subaru41[/nom]Wow, you say my math is wrong. LOLIf you cant do simple Math, than you shouldn't open your mouth.Android 100/1,000,000 = 0.0001 percentWindows 50/250,000 = 0.0002 percentIf the article was by percentage than you would know which platform is more susceptible to Malware attacks. The more open sourced a platform is, the more chances of Malware threats. I love windows phones for the fact I can run dual OS Windows Mango and Android. Do you think I care about having my phone completely locked down and having a 3.5 inch screen to be maybe safer? No I want freedom and choice, not a communist phone.[/citation]

Once again, Subaru - it refers to THREATS , not INCIDENTS.

Every Android phone is vulnerable to more than every windows phone. However many of each phone there are doesn't matter.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]lordstormdragon[/nom]@Watcha: Wrong again, kiddo. Google Analytics are off on all my browsers and have been since day one. Peerblock, NoScript, AdBlock, and other tools nullify all such tracking on that end as well. .[/citation]

You could still be being tracked by server-side algorithms. Of course, as a system developer I would know this, and you would be sadly delusional whilst for some reason thinking you know a lot about technology, and believing you have protected your own privacy (because the rest of the world cares so much about you)

[citation][nom]lordstormdragon[/nom]
You've just been owned for so long by Apple and idiocy that you're unaware of the solutions to security and privacy, and also oblivious (apparently) that you even have the option to not be owned.[/citation]

That you think you're not being 'owned' by not being an anonymous statistic to a large corporate at your own inconvenience is almost as tragic as it is laughable. That you think I don't have vastly more knowledge than you about all of the web technologies we're referring to is even more laughable.

[citation][nom]lordstormdragon[/nom]You of course do NOT have the option, because you're an Apple fanatic..[/citation]

Firstly, if you had a logical brain you wouldn't need to refer to Apple at all, since I mentioned Google. The same Google search engine you, of course, don't use. Secondly, I'm not a fanatic - why reach that conclusion. I've stated nothing but facts.

It's not about narcissism. My ego is not inflated by my security mechanisms.[/citation]

Not knowing what narcissism means? Bless.

Logical hint: You don't increase security because you want the ego boost from it (how you reached such a premise I'll never know). You increase your security because you have some delusional fear about corporations having your information and caring about it. In other words, you believe they care about you. News flash, they don't.

Google me yourself if you want - you'll see what I am that you are not, very quickly. [/citation]

Er, what? I googled you and got an 'artist'? Pretty much the only profession which needs no intelligence?

[citation][nom]lordstormdragon[/nom]The level of technology you believe you are "in the know" about is entirely dwarfed by my every-day workload, son. I operate the most complex creation humanity has ever achieved every single day (Maya), and you simply use a phone to look cool to the ladies as a replacement for having any actual romantic value or desirability.[/citation]

Thinking Maya is technologically impressive, funny.
Thinking you know what phone I have or why I have it, laughable.
Trying to claim you dwarf anything or anyone and insulting peoples 'desirability' online? Priceless.

[citation][nom]lordstormdragon[/nom]Take your mind back to the savannahs - you're beating on your chest, but are still too afraid to come down from the trees.[/citation]

This makes no sense. The only one beating their chest like a gorilla here is you.

[citation][nom]lordstormdragon[/nom]And no, my "dumb phone" has no social networking, physical location sensors, or any such idiocy going on. It doesn't have web access at all. It's a construction phone - durable, simple, featureless, and made to get work done, not be shiny and retarded and make a social statement about my financial prowess.The law could of course track my phone - but Google and Apple are not the law, and my business is fully legitimate so the cops and feds have no reason at all to access my voice or text records[/citation]

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SCH-U460EAAVZW
Social Networking You have friends, followers, maybe even fans. Stay in touch with them all with Social Beat, an app that keeps you connected to your favorite social network. Easily update statuses, add comments, send @replies and upload photos to Facebook, Twitter, MySpace and more on the fly.

Bottom line, your a paranoid narcissistic freak who believes that an OCD privacy issue means you know anything about technology.

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
@Watcha: Oh, that's just cute. Insult my profession, while I do more math every day than you and everyone you know including NASA. Yes, I'm a moron and Maya is practically MSPaint. Processing electrical-plasma fluid dynamics and photon arrays is just like finger-painting in kindergarten, everyone knows this. (laughs!)

Let's be clear here: I'm a scientist and you're just some guy spouting off brand-biased hatred at anyone who demolishes your horrible and erroneous math and concepts. You're a "system developer". That doesn't even mean anything, son. Everyone is a "system developer", but I'm an architectural engineer utilizing the most powerful software on the market today, and yet my information and ideas are invalid simply because I also make artwork? Yes, Beethoven was also a complete imbecile, and DaVinci a total moron.

And you in all your vast egomaniacal glory still aren't even aware of what you're talking about. I made it clear I have no internet connection on my phone, and yet you still can't even grasp that simple concept.

Now go "system develop" me a sandwich, Toolboy.

anonymous32111

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
@watcha: Systems developer? Bullshit.

I doubt you could program your way out of a paper bag.

People who actually develop systems are out there working for a living, not wasting a whole day replying to comments on toms hardware.

"That you think I don't have vastly more knowledge than you about all of the web technologies we're referring to is even more laughable."

I could do the same thing you do, and point out how bad your grammar is, but that would just be acting like a douche for the sake of being 'right', like you.

Just here to call bullshit on your 'vast knowledge of all things technical'. If you were even a little bit of the intellect you describe yourself as, you would have a successful career and responsibilities, and would not deliberately try to piss everyone off.

Grow up kid.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Watcha, you owe me a new Red Bull. I spilled mine while laughing at your comments. Sometimes it's nice to see some people put in their place, lol.

As for the topic at hand.. 116 threats for Android in 2011 eh? Didn't see that one coming... >.> What else do you think is gonna happen to a system that's greatest strength is also it's greatest weakness, lol. That is, if the manufacturers weren't so god aweful themselves, lol.

fellskrazykayaker

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]How about surfing the hundreds of thousands of websites that use Java and Flash content? Or have you forgotten that the iCrap prison does not allow Java or Flash to run. How about breaking loose from the handyourwalletorelse model that Apple employs? Get serious.[/citation]
Java and Adobe Flash consistently take the majority of top security exploits month after month. Just sayin'.

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I must give props to Apple, despite their horrible practices on the App Store front, for keeping it nearly malware-free.[/citation]

...at the cost of flexibility, privacy, and any actual usefulness. Hey, you can't crash if you're not actually moving.

The same has held true of all their products since the dawn of time. It's not remotely "news" that Apple products are overpriced garbage. I personally wouldn't support either data-mining operation - Google is just as bad, if not worse.

Skynet can't come soon enough.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
This seems only natural, as Symbian drops in popularity and no new phones are comming out at the same pace and Android is increasing in popularity.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Watcha is a paid iCrap propagandist. iCrap pays some people
to go into forums and do publicity and spread lies, watcha is
one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.