Android Takes 90 Percent of Smartphone Market in China

Status
Not open for further replies.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
If you have 90% in china, you have about 1/5 of the world consumers. Thats something!
Well, hopefully this will force more honset competition rather than more patent wars.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Less than 5% market share in the world's largest phone market.
As I and many others predicted, Apple is on it's way to becoming a "B-lest" player in the market.
Just like they did in PCs. Wondering how long until the Stock Market will pick up on it.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... how much of them are brand phones and what percentage is cheep ones and knockoffs?[/citation]

Who cares as long as they work ?
'Brand' is important -to a degree- on cars. The right car can get you a date, a sale or a job.
But a cell phone? Do you really carry your self-confidence in your pocket ?

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Less than 5% market share in the world's largest phone market.As I and many others predicted, Apple is on it's way to becoming a "B-lest" player in the market.Just like they did in PCs. Wondering how long until the Stock Market will pick up on it.[/citation]

Apple still make a lot of profit in China on their phones, tablets and computers.
These Android phones that make up the 10% are small margin products for the most part.
Apple has very high margins and does not need as much of the market share to make as much or more than any other firm that exists in that 90%.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Less than 5% market share in the world's largest phone market.As I and many others predicted, Apple is on it's way to becoming a "B-lest" player in the market.Just like they did in PCs. Wondering how long until the Stock Market will pick up on it.[/citation]

Thats kinda obvious :D. Noone expected Apple to continue in the saw path. In economy there are many rules, but one of them is, if you grow very fast, you drop very fast. And that is true for everything related with global economics.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Who cares as long as they work ?'Brand' is important -to a degree- on cars. The right car can get you a date, a sale or a job.But a cell phone? Do you really carry your self-confidence in your pocket ?[/citation]

Why you think people buy Iphones in the first place? Its obvious the phone itself aint worth that much. They sell "Status", not quality.

You would be amazed how many people buy things for self confidence.

spookie

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
[citation][nom]Cats_Paw[/nom]Why you think people buy Iphones in the first place? Its obvious the phone itself aint worth that much. They sell "Status", not quality.You would be amazed how many people buy things for self confidence.[/citation]

They also buy it because they think they are different and what to express their individuality (that is what most of them believe)

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Apple still make a lot of profit in China on their phones, tablets and computers.These Android phones that make up the 10% are small margin products for the most part.Apple has very high margins and does not need as much of the market share to make as much or more than any other firm that exists in that 90%.[/citation]

Not sure what you guys are down voting. This is the economic reality in their market.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Seems the Chinese goes for functionality and choice rather than shiny![/citation]

No they go by price. Their average income is factions compared to North America, Europe, Japan and Australia. Those with the income go for the higher end products like Apple.
If you ask people if they want an iPhone in India and China the answer would be yes, if you ask them can they afford it the answer is no.

Average person in China makes $5000 a year. Average American makes $40000.
a $700 iPhone costs an American 1.75% of their Gross. For the Average Chinese its 14%.

That's like an iPhone costing $5600 in the USA. Obviously the market share is going to be smaller, but the actual Gross and Net income made by Apple is significant with a small market share in China.

The Demand curve is very high for iPhone in China considering the cost of it.

Nothing to do with "functionality and choice rather than shiny!". Its all about cost and affordability.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
[citation][nom]lilly1548[/nom]my neighbor's step-aunt makes $66 every hour on the computer. She has been out of a job for six months but last month her income was $13901 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more on this site, http://ace60.coℳ[/citation]
my neighbours step-aunt's-sisters-dogs-lizards-husbands-best friend says your a spammer

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Not sure what you guys are down voting. This is the economic reality in their market.[/citation]
"These Android phones that make up the 10%". This is why I down-voted your post. Androids are 90%, not 10%.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]Fokissed[/nom]"These Android phones that make up the 10%". This is why I down-voted your post. Androids are 90%, not 10%.[/citation]

Was a typo, you're right I meant to say 90%.
Of the 90% they are mostly small margin phones.
So a company for example with a smaller market share may actually make a lot more money.
Which is the case with Apple.

Thanks for the correction!

Status
Not open for further replies.