Android users have virtually no protection from AirTag stalking — and Apple needs to fix it

Jan 15, 2023
This is categorically wrong. In fact all headlines about Airtags and stalking problem are 100% wrong and false. And I am saying this as an Andoird user who own airtags. I have an iphone at home which I forget to charge, and various airtags because they have the best community for lost items, but I have one in my bag and it beeps a 'stalking warning' every time i pick it up. Its bloody annoying and renders it useless to me. I also have one on my bike, and I removed the speaker from it so it wouldnt alert a thief to its presence.

But as an android user, my airtag following me around lets me know its there many times daily. It detects movement and all non-owner bluetooth presence around it, thus it beeps madly. So your article is wrong, we will always know we have an airtag following us around. Period.

And all other articles stating 'Airtags have a stalking problem' is also factually incorrect. There is near zero chance airtags will ever be used for stalking, unless you pull it apart and remove the speaker, which stalkers may do as they are determined individuals, but there is better options, like the samsung smart tag, which has no anti-stalking features and has similar community now.

Stalkers are going to stalk, its not Apple's fault, and in my opinion they should drop their whole pursuit/agenda on this. It ruins them for 80% of its other practical uses (item theft).