Android Wear? Not on My Wrist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Because0789

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014
I find it hard to believe that the article writer actually believes we have have the same full fledged apps from our phones on our wrist without major usability issues(I'm talking about doing something as ridiculous as writing a lengthy email on your wrist) with our current technologies, it is practically delusional. That isn't to say we can't improve but the fact of the matter is the real estate available on your wrist is limited and I think we would see something even more integrated workable before we saw a decent workable wrist alone adaptation.

King Kii

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
I find it hard to believe that the article writer actually believes we have have the same full fledged apps from our phones on our wrist without major usability issues(I'm talking about doing something as ridiculous as writing a lengthy email on your wrist) with our current technologies, it is practically delusional. That isn't to say we can't improve but the fact of the matter is the real estate available on your wrist is limited and I think we would see something even more integrated workable before we saw a decent workable wrist alone adaptation.

i think he realizes that, but the fact that other wearables do a lot more, and do it better is his issue. i think this dumb wearables fad will die out soon. nobody other then sheep, tools, and hipsters want this garbage. ill stick to my echo watch and use my cell phone and maintain some look of class.

burkhartmj

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

The problem with this of course that other platforms do more [Samsung Gears] or do better [Pebble], absolutely nothing does more AND better than Android Wear. This article is disgustingly biased and starts out as negative as possible, not giving any room for the reality of the compromises in ALL smart watches at the moment nor the positive aspects of Android Wear. This is one of the worst articles I've seen on Tom's since the travesty pretending to be reporting on all of Moto's 2014 product releases.

Edit: Also, how do the Moto 360, LG G Watch R, and Asus ZenWatch not maintain "some look of class" as you say? If you hate wearable in general, why even read, much less comment, on an article about a wearable platform?

mamasan2000

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
"If you hate wearable in general, why even read, much less comment, on an article about a wearable platform?"

Are you saying that no-ones allowed to comment on anything unless they love it?
I don't think you know the Internet. It's the other way around here.

On that note, why bother with wearables, they just take up space and cost money.

burkhartmj

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
I didn't question your right to comment, I questioned the relevance of anything you had to say on the matter. I know the internet quite well, which is why I'm comfortable questioning your motivation, other than to be a hater and/or outright troll on something that you have admitted to having broad derision for.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
MS seems to be the only one who got smart watches right by making their band less "smart". If iPhone has thought us anything, it's that features don't matter, simplicity does (as far as the mass consumer market is concerned).

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
And this is what I as a reader would LOVE to see happening in the tech blogosphere:

Consistency in writing, be objective when you make a subjective review. Sounds weird, I know, but it's really quite simple.

For instance, this is what this same site wrote about the Galaxy Gear just a few months ago:

"Though it’s good for what it is (…a watch phone??), it’s wholly unnecessary. We don’t need a camera on our wrists."

Fast forward a few months, and suddenly it's the lack of features what annoys Tom's. It seems like you (tech bloggers in general) are more interested in complaining about a selection of brands and ecosystems. It seems like you're always diving in with a premeditated negative mindset when there's not a fruity logo on the stuff you're reviewing.

So please, start being objective first when you want to share your personal opinions.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
I purchased a Chinese brand that cost $31.00. To me that should be the cost of any of these devices as they serve such a limited purpose.

bernardv

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
"Android is a work in progress! " - classic Tomshardware nonsense. Are you guys on Apple payroll? Android is the dominant mobile OS worldwide, installed on thousands of different types of devices. Apple iOS is a somewhat simplified OS, adjusted to fit few devices produced by a single company.

WillieStylez

Estimable
Dec 21, 2014
I think Tizen only beats the stuffing out of Wear because Tizen is a full blown OS with the prospect of offering full featured apps. Wear was not touted as FULL BLOWN, but a method of interaction and remote look into your phone. The article writer is missing the point entirely on what Android Wear's intentions are. If he feels they are not needed (for HIM), that's fine, but for those of us who don't want to look (in our opinions) "crazy as hell", talking into our wrists, or being "super-spies" capturing images from our watch...then so be it. Let us enjoy what we bought and why we bought it. To Each Their OWN, people! We all can't be and/or need the same! We all have our reasons and preferences!

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Don't worry it will all change soon. Right after Apple shows them how to do it right. This is the result of trying to rush product out to try and beat daddy.

G

"Too many features? Boohoo!"

And that is where I stopped reading. Seriously? I liked TH for its reviews but this reads like a rant that the product didn't do what the 'reviewer' wanted rather than looking at what it does. Since when did TH become Reddit?

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
The technology needs to catch up with the concept. When tablets first appeared it was absolute garbage due to battery life, poor os, slow performance, heavy bulky size, and poor interface. Not until technology caught up first with Apple mp3 player, then video player, then finally tablets. Smartwatches needs to be coupled with google-like glasses for this technology to become mainstream where the watch becomes the input device and the glasses are the display with a miniature lcd screen imbedded that allows you to watch movies, surf the internet, display gps, etc all with the privacy that handheld devices don't have. Right now, smartwatches are gimmicks that are unnecessary and impractical.

xchoice

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
i dont care about the article itself, but i will like to trash my phone, go for a tablet, and have a watch so i dont need to pull the big thing every time....

As for a phone.... come on dont be lazy and take it out of the pocket -.- (and check Mr. Tourge didnt play with the battery temperature ftw... you know.. EXPLOSION!!!! :p)

Dyseman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
I bought a Meta-Watch, cheap, and use it daily. I can tell the time, see who's calling before I go for my phone, and catch the first part of a message at a flick of the wrist. I don't like the mirrored LCD, but it does just what I wanted. A Quick informational device.

Hell, the best thing about it is it vibrates when it loses connection to the phone, but before I go to far from my desk, reminding me to get my damned phone.

I don't need an i7core computer on my wrist, just something informative.

And the title of this Article... "Not on my wrist!" Where he hell do you want it, on the back of your neck? Inside of your Knee? Armpit? Damn, Tom's... Just... Damn...

Status
Not open for further replies.