Angle dependant screen display

natgild

Estimable
May 5, 2014
My wife is looking for a 17" laptop. She is mainly interested in doing photo editing. Of course she's planning on doing general email and www surfing. My wife now has an HP Pavillion but I find the screen display very dependent on the vertical viewing angle. This makes photo editing difficult. Recently I purchased an ASUS laptop with a touch screen and there is excellent vertical viewing angle. Angle viewing usually appears in specs for monitors but I find it difficult to find in the laptop specs. Are there certain types of laptop displays that are less prone to viewing angle difference. Is there anyway to get this from the laptop specs or do I just have to go to a retail outlet and test it myself?

AGx-07_162

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
What you need to do is research display technologies (e.g. LCD, LED, etc) and then apply that knowledge to the types the laptops you're looking at have. As much as I like to think I know about monitors I've never been able to find good information on viewing angles that I feel comfortable directing people to.

I, myself, do both Photo and Video editing so this is something important to me as well. If you want to know how I shop for monitors: I eyeball it. If I can find an active demo display, I'll pick it up and twist it and angle it and see how far I have to go before it looks washed out or darkened. Realistically, you want to be sitting to where the top of the display is just above or below eye level so unless you're sitting at awkward angles a good display will always look good.