Angry Birds: No Money In Android Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0oim4n

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
I think its amazing, how different the App Store and the Android Market are. I have an iPod touch, and my cousin has an HTC Dream, and I look through both stores all the time, and it amazes me how garbage all the apps are on the App Store compared to the Android Market, and how much cheaper, and better things work on Android, compared to iOS. Besides, 95% of the people who have iPhones have the money to buy whatever they may need on the App Store, whereas most people may go Android for the price and functionality of the device itself, and wouldn't spend as much on apps, ect.

G

I'd prefer to pay for Angry Birds then see the stupid ads on the bottom. I didn't get a choice when Angry Birds was released for Android.

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
This guy has no room to talk. I would have gladly bought Angry Birds if they had offered that way rather than just giving it away.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
AFAIK, Peter got it totally wrong. I have paid for plenty of good apps on my Nexus and I would have loved to have the opportunity to remove the ads from another bunch of them (including his game) by buying them.
His approach, and the generalization that he implies, can only hurt users. That game launched first on Android and after he got his "testing' alright, he ported it to the money-maker, without even giving the Android users the chance to buy it. Is it that hard to give us the option of removing the ads by purchasing the game? WTF? Or is it just plain commodity /laziness on his part? Don't talk down a whole platform and it's users just because you're too lazy to make a minor adjustment.

the_laughing_man

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
I believe that the target audience for the i-phone and i-pad tend to be willing to spend more money plus it being status symbol. Where as the open-source and android users tend to be more frugal and money conscious. This might be a real factor in the apps profitability on one market versus another. I fully believe Apple make nice functional products, however I also believe everything Apple makes is overpriced, App Store included.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I have to agree that the iOS App Store is superior, however Android >>> iOS.

However, the Android Market is rapidly improving, which can't be said of iOS.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
More people buy Apps on the iPhone because

A) Apple owners tend to have enough disposable income to buy everything Apple sells, why not a couple 99-cent apps?

B) Google created an environment of free when they released the G1 and the Android market and for 6 months there were no such things as pay apps. Similar with the internet, the consensus is "why pay when it used to be free?".

C) If I'm not mistaken, research has shown that 90%+ of downloaded apps are no longer used only a couple days or weeks after being downloaded. Smart shoppers would know not to waste money on something they probably won't use again. I mean really, was it worth 99-cents to make you phone fart? That got old, what, 5 seconds after you tried it?

D) I also believe Apple offers no trial-period or refund policy (although Google recently screwed-over their refund policy, 15 minutes? Really?). On the android platform, you can download a trial/limited version of an app, then figure out if you like it or not. Previously, you also had 24-hours to try out a paid-app, and could get a refund if you didn't like it. With Apple, you're stuck.

As a publisher though, you'll have to get used to Android, it now has greater market share than the iPhone. If you want to get people to use your app, you're going to have to release it for Android.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
You can't browse the android marketplace on your PC, so how do you know what you want to buy? Android would improve things a lot if they provided a website access to the marketplace.

G

i have a macbook pro, iphone, ipod and ipad ... i only get the FREE apps... unless its something i found to be too good to pass by ... Apple products are yes way way over priced because the people who buy Apples are rich old folks who got nothing else better to do and who know shits about computers ... end of story.

justbrae1

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]You can't browse the android marketplace on your PC, so how do you know what you want to buy? Android would improve things a lot if they provided a website access to the marketplace.[/citation]
Apparently you are one of Steve's sheep.

Appbrain.com

woofster

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
[citation][nom]c0oim4n[/nom]I think its amazing, how different the App Store and the Android Market are. I have an iPod touch, and my cousin has an HTC Dream, and I look through both stores all the time, and it amazes me how garbage all the apps are on the App Store compared to the Android Market, and how much cheaper, and better things work on Android, compared to iOS. Besides, 95% of the people who have iPhones have the money to buy whatever they may need on the App Store, whereas most people may go Android for the price and functionality of the device itself, and wouldn't spend as much on apps, ect.[/citation]

It is a bit of a (false) sweeping statement to say how garbage ALL the iphone apps are. There are a lot of brilliant apps, and a lot of pointless apps aswell. If you look in the android market there are a lot of rubbish apps in there too, as well as good ones.

The price of the iPhone actually isnt that bad when you look at the range of HTC devices. The new HD7 is borderline the same price on O2, so where does that put Android users in your mind?

Finally, most people who own iPhones that i know only generally buy the 59p apps. Does that make all iphone users stuck up snobs for buying a few 59p apps, which equates to about a weeks worth of line rental?

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
If anything, this is confirmation of what I have been saying for months. The BEST apps and user experience is on iOS, period.

Android users can now go to your usual spot...the backseat vs iOS.

Skype with video out on iOS first. Expect that for some time to come people. Cry all you want, but its the truth. And sometimes the truth hurts. ;)

weefatbob

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Also, there is the fact that most Android users are a little more tech savvy and prepared to spend their money on decent apps, come on, Angry birds is like a silly NDS game for kids, yes I played it, yes I liked it (for 5 minutes) yes I removed it as I knew I would never switch the thing on again.

If small asshole companies like this want my money, whether it is hard earned or not, they better earn it themselves, I want substance and quality before I will shell out for their apps, simple as that. I believe that a good proportion of Android, and dare I say it Apple users too, know this and feel the same way. The time for 5 minute fun apps is over with, time for the real devs out there to flex their muscles and give us value for money and something we will pay / play / use and recommend.

G

Tip: Put your phone in "Airplane Mode" before launching Angry Birds. This will disable all incoming and outgoing radio signals, killing the app's ability to stream ads onto your game UI.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Free is indeed the way to go for many android phone users. But that should not scare off programmers. Not everyone is out for money, sure having money is good, but there are plenty of sympathetic software engineers out there, that provide their programs for free, or just hobbyists doing it for the fun of it.
There's great fun in offering millions of users a program of enjoyment. And doing so with a donation box, could make your program more popular, and you end up earning nearly as much as iphone fanatics who want to empty their wallets to the apple clan.

G

Clearly, the difference between Apple owner and the rest of the world is that they are, above all, rampant consumers. Not only willing to spend money, but want to.

The majority of Apple owners that I know, don't have a great deal of disposable income, they just enjoy spending money, even when they don't have the money to spend. Which is probably why iSales world wide are proportionally much lower than they are here. Americans are conditioned to be ignorant consumers.

justbrae1

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]osxsier[/nom]If anything, this is confirmation of what I have been saying for months. The BEST apps and user experience is on iOS, period. Android users can now go to your usual spot...the backseat vs iOS.Skype with video out on iOS first. Expect that for some time to come people. Cry all you want, but its the truth. And sometimes the truth hurts.[/citation]
So this article confirms an opinion?

I'm not sure I can grasp that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.