Anonymous: Credit Card Theft Isn't Our M.O.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Even if Anonymous as a group didn't steal the credit card informations, it's not impossible that one or more members decided to act on their own during the attacks.

gnice3d

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
No way Anon stole credit card info... From day one my opinion was that the entire thing is a fabrication by Sony to create a backlash against the modding community and justify the lock down of their consoles which is contrary to the provisions of the digital millennium copyright act.

If you buy a PS3, Sony has no right to persecute, harass or intentionally thwart you from running 3rd party apps or mods on the unit. It's no different from cel phones... Once again, your rights are being dissolved under the guise of fighting piracy.

djsting

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Even if Anonymous as a group didn't steal the credit card informations, it's not impossible that one or more members decided to act on their own during the attacks.[/citation]

Agreed. Anonymous as a collective may frown upon credit card theft...emphasis on "may." Whether you're talking about Anonymous, political groups, organizations, whatever...The actions of a few morons do not always reflect the beliefs of the group as a whole.

My cynical side would say that this is a ruse and they did have something to do with it. However, as the article said, they usually take credit for their pranks. They also seem to be a group that thrives on having at least a good portion of the internet community supporting them. You can have some great debates about their antics when they are taking down the likes of Sony or the RIAA. With these companies, the number of "fight the man" supporters equals the "this is wrong" crowd. Credit card and identity theft is almost universally condemned. That doesn't sound to me like something they would be interested in.

Xenophage

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
Sony never broke any laws and Anonymous are the criminals. Sony acted within their rights to require a software update to log into PSN, removing the Other OS option. You could be pissed about this, refuse to grab the update, and stop buying Sony products - and Sony will do nothing to you. Sony never held a gun to anybody. Anonymous, on the other hand, forced their way into Sony's computer network and vandalized their property. It's clear that the real M.O. of Anonymous is force and fraud.

If Anonymous were to focus on directing their violence in a retaliatory fashion against actual rights violators, chief among which are hundreds of governments around the world, they would have my support. As it stands, I hope they are brought to justice one by one.

Sony never pissed me off as much as Anonymous has. I never ran Linux on my PS3, but I sure as hell used it to play games.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
They're not some coherent organization, so for them to release a press release is dripping in irony. A press release is only possible in a tightly-wrapped organization. The Anonymous is not.

Either way, even if this press release is to be taken seriously, it does not speak for all "members" of the Anonymous, who may have had an ulterior motive.

G

Hey, Xenophage, I'm going to sell you a blue car. For 20,000 miles everything will be fine. But then, when you go to put gas into the car (so that it can be used) I am going to rip the stereo out and paint the car pink. If you don't like it, don't put gas in the car. Just let it sit and rust.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Was it in the contract when you bought the blue car that they could take out said stuff without owners consent? What if seller said you couldn't modify the motor but you still did, seller would have every right to deny warranty as well. Don't people read what they are signing up for when they click "I Agree"? I play PS3 games, i don't mod or add other OS, right now, I'm freaking mad at people costing me game time. I also wonder how many in number actually did mod their PS3s compared to those that just want to play and cant due a supposed large hacker community. This is called cyber terrorism, a SMALL group of people didn't like something so they attacked Sony and pushed their views to a larger and rather uncaring public. People just want to play the games they paid A LOT of money for and sometimes (DCUO) continue to pay for an undelivered product thanks to these self righteous terrorists. Sony isn't the one that stopped me from playing, its Anonymous and whoever else stole credit info, if in fact Anonymous had nothing to do with CC info being stolen. Nothing has been said to prove they did or didn't. As far as I'm concerned the law needs to go after CC thieves and Anonymous, what they do is illegal end of story. You support them, fine, I don't care, but don't stop me from playing my game. How about letting Sony know how to patch up their weak security, that might help in clearing your pure and untarnished good name Anonymous.

bit_user

Distinguished
Herald
Jan 20, 2010
THG! I can understand an article with this headline and tone appearing in the mainstream press. But we, your readers, expect you to know better.

Do not fall into the trap of calling Anonymous a group or talking about it like it is. Please act like journalists and don't simply take the word of some unknown persons that claim to speak on behalf of Anonymous.

This press release is merely one person's opinion that people they consider fellow Anons wouldn't do such a thing. That's it. Unless there's evidence of a leadership and loyal followers, and that this message was blessed by the leadership, you cannot take it as anything more than that.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Or, its just as possible that "Anonymous" broke through Sony's security a while ago and dropped the file there for the fun of it. And then someone else later hack and stole he data ... no connection. Sony is a large company, and there are lots and lots and lots of hackers out in the world. I really doubt that there are only 2 sets of hackers playing with their security on a daily basis. They are likely targeted but hundreds of groups/individuals a day. The bigger the target the more suspects.

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Modus Operandi? Wikipedia much? These clowns forgot the more significant part of the equation, the 'Mens Rea' and the 'Actus Reus.' They have the predisposition to do this, they have the guilty act in that they did do it and now they are trying to say it's out of the ordinary for them? If that was a valid defense, no one would ever go to prison because they would just point to a clean criminal history and say "Look Ma! No crimes!" Their defense is like saying "Well, my house wasn't on fire yesterday nor has it been on fire ever thus it can't be on fire now, that's not the standard MO of my house!"

Idiots.

bit_user

Distinguished
Herald
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]jrnyfan[/nom]they did do it[/citation]How do you know?

[citation]and now they are trying to say it's out of the ordinary for them? If that was a valid defense, no one would ever go to prison because they would just point to a clean criminal history and say "Look Ma! No crimes!"[/citation]You're making the same mistake as the article by assuming that it is even a cohesive group with coordinated leaders and obedient followers.

Anonymous is more like an angry mob with pitchforks and torches. Anyone can call themselves Anon and no one can say you're not. You can even have multiple groups who consider themselves Anonymous taking different sides on an issue and acting contrary to each other.

The person who wrote the press release might as well have just published an op/ed, because it carries no more weight than one person's opinion that what they consider to be the typical anon wouldn't do it.

G

Okay not the Motive? Citi bank, remember that? How about the church of scientology? I see thousands of Anon member posts on youtube when you guys do something taking all the credit, then when you started involvement with this occupy wall street EVERY one of those videos disapears suddenly and poof you start saying you never did it! My job got sent over seas and I was fighting to get unemployment when you sold my credit card number and every dime I had disapeared, and for a month you posted you did it! now your saying you didn't take credit cards at Sony???

Status
Not open for further replies.