Anonymous Hacks Security Firm Investigating It

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

To all of the juvenile nerd commenters happy over this sort of thing, just keep in mind it's all fun and games until the problem gets high enough/big enough that the men with big guns come knocking down you're door to drag you off to jail. Or perhaps you're in certain foreign countries where they don't even bother with niceties like jail, trials, defense attorneys, etc.

Not too smart.

N19h7M4r3

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
[citation][nom]wild9[/nom]In what way? It's claimed personally identifiable information was posted on someone's social networking profile and without their consent. Would it be cool if Twitter, or MySpace did such a thing?[/citation]

it migh not make them big, but at least clever you cant deny it... plus being clever then someone is also relative to how dumb that one is lol...

G

Anon are the voice of the people.
When governments and corporations over step the ethical/moral 'line', who is there to pull them back? Anonymous and Anonymous alone.

G

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]"Anonymous is definitely a force to be reckoned with."Using tools that other people created doesn't make you a hacker. Getting into Twitter, Facebook, etc etc has more to do with easy password recovery questions than any real skill. Now getting into my server? that would be an accomplishment.[/citation]
You obviously have no idea what defines a hacker.

If you find a piece of paper on your teachers desk with his/her PW to the school network and you use that to log in, you've technically just hacked the network. Did it require a lot of skill? Not really, but you still 'hacked.'

str8ballistik

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Anonymous is starting to become my hero. And, I even bet, when we pass to the next technical age they will go down in history. As long as they always keep fighting for whats right, I support them hell yeah!

str8ballistik

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Anonymous is starting to become my hero. And, I even bet, when we pass to the next technical age they will go down in history. As long as they always keep fighting for whats right, I support them hell yeah!

TheWhiteRose000

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Anonymous is basically the Internets Batman.
And the government is trying to catch them.

I think the governments of the world are corrupted,.
And in all honesty they started it.

They aren't going for glory, or profit they are doing it cause it's right.
Doing it so the world can learn of the corruption that the government hides.

I'm cheering for Anonymous!
GAMBATTE!!!!
Anonymous!!!!

dan55

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Who is the genius who decided to hire one little security firm to go after Anonymous? They should be fired or reprimanded. You don't go after one of the most skilled hacking crew and expect to do anything. Either go big at these guys, or don't even try, because you'll only paint a target on your head, and then you will see the true implementation of identity theft, as they have all your personal information in a short period of time, and can essentially ruin you. They will never catch the Anonymous crew, because at the skill level they have demonstrated, they will only be found when they spell out their names and locations to officials. My suggestion, hire some real hackers on your side, then try to go after them, but don't do it if you don't have the best available.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
So now angry mobs instead of rioting in the streets are attacking websites. Sounds good to me. Hopefully someday well live in a world were muggers don't use guns but instead walk up to you and try to engage in small talk which revealed the answers to their password reset questions.

purrcatian

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]"Anonymous is definitely a force to be reckoned with."Using tools that other people created doesn't make you a hacker. Getting into Twitter, Facebook, etc etc has more to do with easy password recovery questions than any real skill. Now getting into my server? that would be an accomplishment.[/citation]
Post your server's IP and offer a nice cash reward for hacking it and I am sure it will be hacked very quickly.

kkiddu

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
I dunno, a vigilante group always poses a danger of going rogue. Especially one that's not answerable to the public, and whose identity is not known. Like the popular saying "Who'll guard the guards ?"

But Anonymous, till now, hasn't exactly 'gone rogue'. Their wars have been waged against people and entities I've come to resent. I guess we can just keep faith in them.

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
[citation][nom]captjack5169[/nom]There f***ing hackers you moron. [/citation]
They're

Anyway, I thought it was quite amusing that a group that supports the disclosure of information that some people want kept secret (the whole wikileaks piffle) was so against the disclosure of information about it. Rather a case of double standards; unless they appreciate that there are times when a group (say a government) should be able to have information that isn't fully publicly disclosed.

There just needs to be another group that has its own agendas and happens to target Anonymous; then things will get interesting.

G

What a toosh! security firm LOL!, couldn't even keep their own systems safe! And as for anyone aware about security of personal information you do not own Twitter or Facebook accounts or any social application accounts!

ANON are a force to be reckoned with!

doped

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
..called Q, LAUGHING OUT LOUD! *cough* quakenet *cough* if anyone is not in on it. this is a joke. it's anon for a reason. NO ONE is behind it. it's like someone lays out the idea, and the MOB takes over. chat rooms and facebook. FACEBOOK, ROFL!!

potatolord

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
The governments will probably already know who "anonymous" are, where they live, their tax codes etc. Once they get annoyed enough they'll want sufficient evidence to prosecute them.

Given that the government have lots of cash, they'll be employing the brightest post-docs within their security agencies. They probably wouldn't need to employ external experts except as a figleaf.

I wouldn't assume that the security agencies are either stupid or incompetent. People who do so tend to end up in jail or with a variety of interesting personal difficulties...

mustbhacks

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
[citation][nom]FunAndGames_[/nom]To all of the juvenile nerd commenters happy over this sort of thing, just keep in mind it's all fun and games until the problem gets high enough/big enough that the men with big guns come knocking down you're door to drag you off to jail. Or perhaps you're in certain foreign countries where they don't even bother with niceties like jail, trials, defense attorneys, etc.Not too smart.[/citation]

It's people like you, that are the reason behind anon. To many sheep just let the gov do what it pleases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS