Anonymous Threatens to Attack the Internet Sat., March 31

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

What "support" of Anonymous are you referring to, exactly? These idiots are juveniles, cranks living in mom's basement, dirty apartments in Russia, China, and Romania (among many other locales), and ignorant malcontents who seem to thrive on being made into "hacktivist" (a cautious euphemism for a criminal) fools. Perhaps they feel that by exercising their DDoS power, they are forcing people into sitting up and taking notice and admiring what they do. Like Wikileaks and Assange, I think these people are dangerous idiots, arbitrarily using power they don't deserve and did nothing to earn. The technology available today makes these tools available far too easily and cheaply and gives these young cyberpunks a sense of entitlement. In the old days when you committed a crime you usually had to take a risk and sacrifice something to commit it - now criminals like these shoot their bullets with little to no fear of consequences. They do what they want and who cares who it impacts? Personally I hope it fails miserably.

G

I think they chose the 31st so when it fails they can claim April fools. >:|

G

so if we type in the IP address for the website we want, we can still access it?

G

Seriously. 13 servers? Like the 13 everything on the dollar bill? Like the 13 letters in Osama Bin Laden. Problem - Reaction - Solution. The rest of you can go back to sleep.

vrocker

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Have to chuckle everytime i see some 'Anonymous' news, its always empty threats like 'OMG IMA GONNA KILL TEH INTERWEBS!', what have they ever done apart from using script exploits to hack websites?
The root servers will be extremely secure, not your average crappy government set up which runs outdated buggy software. I say good luck to them, all they will end up doing is making another ass of themselves then they will tweet that they never planned to do it.

Also, didn't they setup some redundancies a few years ago just in case the root servers died? I seem to recall them setting something up in case of a war/natural disaster but i may have dreamt it :p

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
All this would do is give the government an excuse to restrict and limit internet access as well police it by usually silencing dissident voices. I and others have been suspecting that Anonymous just isn't a group of hackers on their own but are part of a CIA operation designed to change public opinion and once again for a crack down of general but legal activity on the net.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Sorry to say this shows that Anon is now a self-centered childish group of people. First, and should be the most obvious, if they had a brain and if they can even do it, is that by doing such a thing you will tick off every internet user. From grandma, to shoppers, to gamers, to other hackers and the list goes on. By doing this the majority of those will have nothing but contempt for Anon which will work against them in both the short and long term. Even those who may have had some respect for Anon; Anon will loss. This attack, if done will only act as the beginning of the end for Anon.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]Wont work, most people do not use the root servers. [/citation]
Color me impressed, I was about to post exactly this. There are ways to attack the DNS system, but this is not one of them.

Just more proof that the overwhelming majority of those in Anonymous have absolutely no idea what they're talking about and are capable of nothing more than using tools other people wrote to perform trivial attacks, like defacing webpages.

Sorry guys, but you need skill to take down the internet, not numbers. Go back to those petty hacks you're good at, like guessing passwords and disrupting websites for a couple hours.

rubix_1011

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Do these groups realize that healthcare also requires use so that medical facilities can access and report patient data or make health decisions based on records that might be stored at another facility, off-site? They could be tried for attempted murder, among other things if they carried this out.

mutzkexi

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
In other words, this is just a big waste of time. The DNS system was designed for this sort of thing.
g.gif

Kibarob

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I'm sorry but why is this news?

Everytime I see "Anon to bring _______ down on ______" it never happens. All i'm saying is just don't feed the troll tom's. If it does happen, THEN let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.