Anonymous Threatens to Attack the Internet Sat., March 31

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
There would be much more shock and awe if they didn't brag before they even try it.

So anyone in chage of a DNS server: You have till saturday to increase your default caching times so your server doesn't need root hints for most used servers. As well, turn off DNS reflections, so your systems can be used for the attack.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
If this is not an act of terrorism, I don't know what is.

An attack like this has nothing to do with going after the 'bad banker' who sits in his Mansion having better things to do than surfing the internet. It simply effects a very large number of regular citizens. Lord knows how many lives could be in danger because important services get shut down?
So, instead of 'us' getting abused by the Politicians and Bankers we get abused by a bunch of Criminals (i.e. Hackers).

It is high time these A##holes get locked up for good.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Even if this works (which I HIGHLY doubt) and it isn't just another geek hoax/threat, the likely outcome will be even greater pressure by international authorities to root these folks out and to prosecute them in a highly public fashion.

Anonymous is really starting to act like a bunch of spoiled children who keep acting out for attention. The problem is that they are likely to get the wrong kind of attention.

seroism

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
It doesn't surprise me that most of the people posting here actually BELIEVE this is from Anon. It's clear to many people that that group is being used as a tool by the government now. This is a great way for the government to point out to people that , "See, we need to have internet rules/laws to avoid stuff like this happening." "Nasty Anon is taking down the internet, please pass all legislation we put forward from now on so we can keep you all safe and happy."

If you're Anon, would you REALLY give this much heads up to the IT world and a step by step process of how you plan to supposedly 'shut down the internet'? Doesn't this give everyone ample time to set something up so they're not affected? Seems pretty damn counter productive to me by Anon. All this does make people dislike Anon. For a bunch of extremely smart hackers I find it really hard to believe that not ONE of them thinks this is a bad idea that would go against them as far as public support is concerned.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark....

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
If Anonymous can pull this off I'll be impressed. The DNS system is designed to take massive amounts of traffic. And there are numerous fall-backs when a root goes down. This must be some sort of joke.

I kinda hope they succeed though. The draconian policies of the world's governments need to be put in check.

G

Maybe if they did take down the internet, we should perhaps go read a book and learn something instead of looking at everyones useless profiles on facebook. And by read a book, i don't mean fiction. Unless it's about the Flying Spaghetti Monster, that's allowable.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
possibly all well and good - maybe all these activities bring about a stronger more secure internet for our personal data and services we rely on.

Making it harder for us to be hurt by a truly malevolent enemy actually trying to cause harm/steal funds rather than a group acting to highlight weaknesses in that which we have learnt to rely on - I believe these guys are working (risking their all) to help make our true home grounds safer for us to enjoy

I can only hope that those in power at the top of our nations can start earning our respect and trust soon :)

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]march 31st 8:18 pm internet is still working. esp google.com[/citation]
lol 1st April 2012, 16:54pm IST, nothing's happened yet.

Unanimous Failonymous of Anonymous :p

Status
Not open for further replies.